ADVERTISEMENT

Devonte Fields

amath4

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2015
HUGE news! TCU and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Devote Fields has been cleared by Louisville admissions! With the addition of Shaq Wiggins, Josh Harvey Clemons and Devonte Fields along with the front 7 and the linebacker group, I think this defense will be better than last years and one of the top defenses in all of college.

Reactions: Wordless65
Sweet ... he adds depth to an already deep position. If he lives up to the hype, then he'll easily be one of the 7-8 kids drafted next spring.

Sweet ... he adds depth to an already deep position. If he lives up to the hype, then he'll easily be one of the 7-8 kids drafted next spring.
You nailed it...depth! This defense has depth like never before. Legit two deep at all positions. Rankins mentioned Bailey has looked great. The CB opposite of Wiggins is the only unknown but they have good options over there plus the freshman that arrived in January is going to be a good player.

The only question with this team is the offensive line. It has a similar feel to the Dave Ragone team that we knew would be great on defense, but the OLine was a huge issue coming into the season. That line was young and inexperienced which ended up being great the next couple of years.

You nailed it...depth! This defense has depth like never before. Legit two deep at all positions. Rankins mentioned Bailey has looked great. The CB opposite of Wiggins is the only unknown but they have good options over there plus the freshman that arrived in January is going to be a good player.

The only question with this team is the offensive line. It has a similar feel to the Dave Ragone team that we knew would be great on defense, but the OLine was a huge issue coming into the season. That line was young and inexperienced which ended up being great the next couple of years.

I'm curious as to how the Juco WRs coming in will do along with the TEs and Slot Rec we already have.

As I recall, Dave took quite a beating that year.

Ragone was a tough son of a gun. That team also showed you that the skilled positions don't really matter if you don't have a good line. This years team has plenty of playmakers.

I believe the blocking scheme/technique was a really tough transition for last years team. Think about it they were 2nd in the league in sacks given up and 30 percent(some crazy number) runs were for a loss. They had 3 players from that line go to the NFL. You just don't see lineman with that kind of talent struggle unless their is a significant change in techniques and responsibilities.

I don't think this line, with a year of coaching, will be worse than last year. I believe they will be better but they are still a year or two from being the kind of line that we are used to seeing under Petrino.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
The OL is one reason I think Reggie will be the QB to start. He can escape pressure and make plays. I don't think Will nor Kyle have that level of escapability. I hope the QB is not running for his life all year, but, if needed that skill can really bail out the OL.

The OL is one reason I think Reggie will be the QB to start. He can escape pressure and make plays. I don't think Will nor Kyle have that level of escapability. I hope the QB is not running for his life all year, but, if needed that skill can really bail out the OL.

Yes, Reggie is the better running QB on our roster (although I haven't seen Lamar Jackson practice yet) ... but Kyle did a very good job of moving the offense - against the #1 defense - in the spring, with the same OLine that Reggie had. Making your progressions, and getting rid of the ball quickly is ALSO an effective way to deal with a challenged OLine.

Petrino will play the QB he thinks he can win with. Reggie, Kyle, Will or even Lamar. Time will tell.

Ragone was a tough son of a gun. That team also showed you that the skilled positions don't really matter if you don't have a good line. This years team has plenty of playmakers.

I believe the blocking scheme/technique was a really tough transition for last years team. Think about it they were 2nd in the league in sacks given up and 30 percent(some crazy number) runs were for a loss. They had 3 players from that line go to the NFL. You just don't see lineman with that kind of talent struggle unless their is a significant change in techniques and responsibilities.

I don't think this line, with a year of coaching, will be worse than last year. I believe they will be better but they are still a year or two from being the kind of line that we are used to seeing under Petrino.
Old coaches often used the analogy of an OL to a chain. It is only as strong as its weakest link. I assume that is why we had the struggle last year with at least 3 quality experienced guys. It appeared to improve by the end of the year with some substitutions for some weak links. Unfortunately, we have to forge at least 3 new links this year.

Trumaine Washington had a great true freshman season last year. He'll be one to get alot of playing time at CB.

Not a Fan of Bringing him in-(Violence against Women is hard for me to get over) but he is a Cardinal now...hopefully the Young Man has learned from his horrible mistake and become a Productive Citizen and Player.

Not a Fan of Bringing him in-(Violence against Women is hard for me to get over) but he is a Cardinal now...hopefully the Young Man has learned from his horrible mistake and become a Productive Citizen and Player.

Point taken. I hope this type of behavior is in his past and not his future. He can move forward and will be expected to do so while he is here.

I have a young family member who is working out under the supervision of Ray Rice. He loves him, but it shows how far you can fall when you misbehave.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

Someone was going to take him. Though I agree with you in principal, I am not of the people who say a young man's life has to be ruined. I do think any school should release a member of the team who commits an act of violence against a woman. It can then become a teachable moment. Maybe no FBS team could accept the offending individual for one year. That would require them to go JUCO and give them time to think about their actions. Want to teach the kid some a lesson. Take away all the nice things they just had at a power 5 school, Chartered Jets, High end locker, and recovery rooms. Access to best medical and training staffs.Tens of thousands of adoring fans, cheering in beautiful and iconic facilities. Let them ride on crap buses, hang out it crap locker rooms, play in natty quarter filled stadiums. Most kids will realize what they did, and grow up.

Wow that last part really sounded a lot like UK's football program.

Reactions: pervisl
Someone was going to take him. Though I agree with you in principal, I am not of the people who say a young man's life has to be ruined. I do think any school should release a member of the team who commits an act of violence against a woman. It can then become a teachable moment. Maybe no FBS team could accept the offending individual for one year. That would require them to go JUCO and give them time to think about their actions. Want to teach the kid some a lesson. Take away all the nice things they just had at a power 5 school, Chartered Jets, High end locker, and recovery rooms. Access to best medical and training staffs.Tens of thousands of adoring fans, cheering in beautiful and iconic facilities. Let them ride on crap buses, hang out it crap locker rooms, play in natty quarter filled stadiums. Most kids will realize what they did, and grow up.

Wow that last part really sounded a lot like UK's football program.

I know someone was going to take-(Heck Nick Saban was waiting in the weeds apparently...but our Neighbors to the East dont want to hear that lol)...that why I finished my statement that he learns from this and can become more then just a good football player but a productive member of society.

Reactions: Cardfan1963
It will be interesting to see how Fields performs. I don't know enough about football to know our defensive scheme and how it compared to what he played @ TCU. He will have a target on him in some ways, his every move will be scrutinized.

It will be interesting to see how Fields performs. I don't know enough about football to know our defensive scheme and how it compared to what he played @ TCU. He will have a target on him in some ways, his every move will be scrutinized.
If you noticed they moved Mauldin all around. He will be used much the same, probably more. It makes him much more difficult to key on.

Just saw some highlights of Fields at TCU. The man is a beast. He looks NFL ready. Hope he redeems himself and gets to know our opposing QB's real well.

Just saw some highlights of Fields at TCU. The man is a beast. He looks NFL ready. Hope he redeems himself and gets to know our opposing QB's real well.
I think there was more to this case than meets the eye. It's the easiest thing in the world to make an accusation. Trying to prove a negative when defending oneself is difficult, and places the burden of proof on the accused. I am not saying Fields was innocent, but the fact that a criminal case did not proceed means he has a second chance, so I guess he came to the right place.

Pushup said the whole thing happened just as the Ray Rice tape was revealed, and that TCU really had no choice. If they had kept him it would have gone national.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT