ADVERTISEMENT

DeJa Vu; Maverick Rowan Edition

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
Apparently, per Twitter, Maverick has Louisville back in his Final Four.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 11m11 minutes ago
Top-30 prospect Maverick Rowan has a new top four: West Virginia, St. John's, NC State, Louisville. Working toward reclassifying to 2015.

Thanks for the update, Steelers. I just want this whole Rowan situation finished. Either come to UofL or don't. Seriously getting tired of this whole thing.

Thanks for the update, Steelers. I just want this whole Rowan situation finished. Either come to UofL or don't. Seriously getting tired of this whole thing.

Agreed. Come or don't come; just DO something. Damn, how late can you still be working on reclassifying anyways? There's no time machine here.

I don't know why people are so up in arms about Maverick Rowan. He is being recruited by multiple schools. He never committed here. Every school is giving him something to think about.

Reactions: REDWAVEALERT
I thought Pitino had moved on, just like many of us.

I also think the "up in arms" stuff is because his situation seems to embody the things that get weird with recruiting, like shoe companies, AAU coaches, changing high schools, and NCAA regulations.

I thought Pitino had moved on, just like many of us.

I also think the "up in arms" stuff is because his situation seems to embody the things that get weird with recruiting, like shoe companies, AAU coaches, changing high schools, and NCAA regulations.
His situation is the norm in college basketball. Very few top players don't switch AAU teams and his reclassification is a process that takes time. He has to earn credits through courses. Those courses have to be approved by the NCAA then so on and so on.

Most of the delay is not of Rowan's choosing. Louisville encouraged his reclassification so we probably deserve a lil blame as well.

Reactions: REDWAVEALERT
How long can h wait to reclassify? I assume he will need to be signing up for college classes soon. With Deng in this class and King coming in the next class he could be worried about the position being crowded

His situation is the norm in college basketball. Very few top players don't switch AAU teams and his reclassification is a process that takes time. He has to earn credits through courses. Those courses have to be approved by the NCAA then so on and so on.

Most of the delay is not of Rowan's choosing. Louisville encouraged his reclassification so we probably deserve a lil blame as well.

I wasn't criticizing him; I was talking about the happenings around his recruiting, I also don't think that reclassifying is the norm in college basketball recruiting.

Nonetheless, the situation I am talking about is the involvement of AAU teams, and the coaches of those teams, some of whom have questionable intentions; the interview in which the AAU coach jumped in saying that there was no comment about Louisville. That may be the norm; that doesn't mean it is good.

We, as fans, don't know all of the conversations and interactions of the coach and the recruit and his family. From a fan perspective; this is like the girl who shows interest in you for a week or two, then starts acting cold to you. You don't need the aggravation and you move on. Then, seemingly out of the blue, she sends you a text reading; "Hi! What's up?" You don't know what is going on with her, but it seems like an attempt to say, "I know I wasn't nice to you, but I don't want you to think I am a biatch." Point being: "you and I are not going to happen, but I can't handle the fact that someone (i.e. you) thinks badly of me." Whether you are right or wrong about that; at this point chances are really slim that something is going to work out.

That's what we are thinking. It is nice of you to think of us. It isn't your fault, being that you are 16 or 17. There is too much drama around you, and we have been down this road before. It never works out for us; and we wish you well.

I wasn't criticizing him; I was talking about the happenings around his recruiting, I also don't think that reclassifying is the norm in college basketball recruiting.

Nonetheless, the situation I am talking about is the involvement of AAU teams, and the coaches of those teams, some of whom have questionable intentions; the interview in which the AAU coach jumped in saying that there was no comment about Louisville. That may be the norm; that doesn't mean it is good.

We, as fans, don't know all of the conversations and interactions of the coach and the recruit and his family. From a fan perspective; this is like the girl who shows interest in you for a week or two, then starts acting cold to you. You don't need the aggravation and you move on. Then, seemingly out of the blue, she sends you a text reading; "Hi! What's up?" You don't know what is going on with her, but it seems like an attempt to say, "I know I wasn't nice to you, but I don't want you to think I am a biatch." Point being: "you and I are not going to happen, but I can't handle the fact that someone (i.e. you) thinks badly of me." Whether you are right or wrong about that; at this point chances are really slim that something is going to work out.

That's what we are thinking. It is nice of you to think of us. It isn't your fault, being that you are 16 or 17. There is too much drama around you, and we have been down this road before. It never works out for us; and we wish you well.

I don't think it's every Coach in AAU, or just some. I saw interviews of Bruce Brown and De 'Aaron Fox both 5 star point guards talking about us.

Apparently, per Twitter, Maverick has Louisville back in his Final Four.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 11m11 minutes ago
Top-30 prospect Maverick Rowan has a new top four: West Virginia, St. John's, NC State, Louisville. Working toward reclassifying to 2015.
If coach wants him and if he decides UofL is the place for him, then it's fine with me.

I will say I've grown tired of reading about the soap opera that is his recruiting process. If he goes elsewhere, it wouldn't break my heart.

I am still not getting where the "drama" is coming from. Every recruit makes lists and cuts and adds schools. There was an interview at a Nike event that went weird because we are an Adidas school and the Nike coach didn't want Louisville questions (and he still answered Louisville questions). There has been issues with reclassing because his school wasn't helping him and he still hasn't officially reclassed. The Rowans have seemed to been open about the reclassing issues. It's not like Rowan is just holding off on reclassing just for the hell of it. He's been working on it.

All the "drama" seems to be with people who follow a recruits every word, tweet, instagram pic, interview, etc. Fans want him to hurry and decide because his name has been around for a while. That's not Rowan's fault.

[QUOTE="cuzimacardfan, post: 76524, member: 2346"
All the "drama" seems to be with people who follow a recruits every word, tweet, instagram pic, interview, etc. Fans want him to hurry and decide because his name has been around for a while. That's not Rowan's fault.[/QUOTE]

I certainly have never followed recruiting very closely and definitely never followed a recruit on twitter, instagram, or any other social media but I've still grown weary of the situation. I'm not hating on or blaming everything on Rowan either just the whole up and down circus ride so far.

If us fans think it's annoying, imagine how the coaches feel. Thanks but no thanks, Maverick. You'll have to feed your appetite for attention elsewhere. This isn't the type of player or person'ality' that has made UofL successful the last few years.

I am still not getting where the "drama" is coming from. Every recruit makes lists and cuts and adds schools. There was an interview at a Nike event that went weird because we are an Adidas school and the Nike coach didn't want Louisville questions (and he still answered Louisville questions). There has been issues with reclassing because his school wasn't helping him and he still hasn't officially reclassed. The Rowans have seemed to been open about the reclassing issues. It's not like Rowan is just holding off on reclassing just for the hell of it. He's been working on it.

All the "drama" seems to be with people who follow a recruits every word, tweet, instagram pic, interview, etc. Fans want him to hurry and decide because his name has been around for a while. That's not Rowan's fault.

I don't do social media, but I do recognize drama.

And, don't misquote me: I did not say it was HIS fault. I specifically said it wasn't. He is 16 or 17 years old, and I think it's unfair to put blame for this circus called college BB recruiting on someone that age. He is going to have a lot of people in his ear telling him what to do. In the end, he needs to do what is best for himself, and I don't think that the circus lets many recruits actually get to do that.

It was nice of him to add us back to the list; I don't think it is going to make a bit of difference. I don't think he is coming here.

If us fans think it's annoying, imagine how the coaches feel. Thanks but no thanks, Maverick. You'll have to feed your appetite for attention elsewhere. This isn't the type of player or person'ality' that has made UofL successful the last few years.
Maybe I am just not seeing it. What appetite for attention are you talking about? What has he said and done? Why isn't he a UofL personality?

I don't do social media, but I do recognize drama.

And, don't misquote me: I did not say it was HIS fault. I specifically said it wasn't. He is 16 or 17 years old, and I think it's unfair to put blame for this circus called college BB recruiting on someone that age. He is going to have a lot of people in his ear telling him what to do. In the end, he needs to do what is best for himself, and I don't think that the circus lets many recruits actually get to do that.

It was nice of him to add us back to the list; I don't think it is going to make a bit of difference. I don't think he is coming here.
I wasn't talking about you specifically. I was talking about what fans have been saying about Rowan in general. I actually agreed with your post. UofL fans are jaded by the shadiness of recruiting and, to me, seem to be piling on to Rowan. Even if he doesn't choose here I don't see where he has been that much different than any other recruit.

He said that he was going somewhere for the playing time for this season, to me that would eliminate us automatically. Good luck to the kid, he could get more playing time at any of his other choices because they all are thin in talent compared to us.

Reactions: fredburgcard
He said that he was going somewhere for the playing time for this season, to me that would eliminate us automatically. Good luck to the kid, he could get more playing time at any of his other choices because they all are thin in talent compared to us.
I have seen this complaint too. I don't know the context in which he meant he wanted to play. What's wrong with wanting to come in an contribute right away? What's wrong with weighing the option of reclassing to 2015 to ride the bench or to wait until 2016 when he will be potentially be more developed? Does he want to start or does he just want minutes?

I don't know why anybody would want a player who WANTS to sit on the bench.

I have seen this complaint too. I don't know the context in which he meant he wanted to play. What's wrong with wanting to come in an contribute right away? What's wrong with weighing the option of reclassing to 2015 to ride the bench or to wait until 2016 when he will be potentially be more developed? Does he want to start or does he just want minutes?

I don't know why anybody would want a player who WANTS to sit on the bench.

I'm not complaining, I just stated that if he is after immediate pt then he will probably go elsewhere. I wouldn't have a problem with that, now doing the nike crap is a different story.

Maybe I am just not seeing it. What appetite for attention are you talking about? What has he said and done? Why isn't he a UofL personality?
For starters, stop releasing a new "final four" every other week that has different teams on it. He's either incapable of maintaining consistent thought, or he's desperate for attention from as many fanbases as possible.

For starters, stop releasing a new "final four" every other week that has different teams on it. He's either incapable of maintaining consistent thought, or he's desperate for attention from as many fanbases as possible.
Maybe there's a reason for that? Right before his first list it was announced on UofL's radio station, by their key show, that we are no longer recruiting him. And before he released the 2nd list local reporters reported that we were recruiting him again and then we hear about Pitino going to his games. Maybe he's starved for attention or maybe there are variables to his recruitment and he actually changes his mind based on the information in front of him, which is not unreasonable.

Man, people sure know a lot about a kid based on a handful of tweets and a couple of interview clips.

Maybe there's a reason for that? Right before his first list it was announced on UofL's radio station, by their key show, that we are no longer recruiting him. And before he released the 2nd list local reporters reported that we were recruiting him again and then we hear about Pitino going to his games. Maybe he's starved for attention or maybe there are variables to his recruitment and he actually changes his mind based on the information in front of him, which is not unreasonable.

Man, people sure know a lot about a kid based on a handful of tweets and a couple of interview clips.
His timeline goes something like this...

-Louisville is recruiting me
-I'm reclassifying to 2015
-Louisville is my favorite
-I'm not reclassifying to 2015
-Louisville is not in my top 4
-Louisville is in my top 4

It's just getting ridiculous. I'm tired of hearing his name. Either take care of business in the classroom, or don't. Either make a decision about which college you're considering, or don't. There's no need for a new tweet of the week and a revolving door of universities that he's "considering". Imagine if your 18 year old employee interrupted you every day to give you some inconsequential feeling about the job they're doing that is inconsistent from one day to the next. As a fan, I'm tired of seeing his name in the headlines, while there is never any real substance. I have no idea how Pitino is able to do this crap year in and year out.

Agree with Rye... The kid is welcome here, but his history and baggage are not. He's gotten himself off on the wrong foot as far as I'm concerned...

Reactions: LockdownCard
His timeline goes something like this...

-Louisville is recruiting me
-Louisville is my favorite
-Louisville is not in my top 4
-Louisville is in my top 4

It's just getting ridiculous. I'm tired of hearing his name. Either take care of business in the classroom, or don't. Either make a decision about which college you're considering, or don't. There's no need for a new tweet of the week and a revolving door of universities that he's "considering". Imagine if your 18 year old employee interrupted you every day to give you some inconsequential feeling about the job they're doing that is inconsistent from one day to the next. As a fan, I'm tired of seeing his name in the headlines, while there is never any real substance. I have no idea how Pitino is able to do this crap year in and year out.
Yes, if you gloss over things and leave out the details then that is what his timeline looks like. No variables are allowed. I apologize.

I find it ironic when someone is tired of seeing information about a recruit when they are signed up on a recruiting website.

I tell you what, it is probably in Rowan's best interest to commit elsewhere because he is doomed with the fanbase here. The bashing of last years freshmen won't even come close.

I agree there is a lot of bashing from fans and at the same time there are reports that we are in good shape with him, go figure. Personally I hope he ends up as a Cardinal, I also remember Brohm and Bush waiting until the end to make it final.

Reactions: cuzimacardfan
I agree there is a lot of bashing from fans and at the same time there are reports that we are in good shape with him, go figure. Personally I hope he ends up as a Cardinal, I also remember Brohm and Bush waiting until the end to make it final.
No one is bashing the kid at all. Some fans are simply just tired of the soap operas because we've been in them with these recruits alot over the years and single every time we've came out with the short end of the stick. After going thru this crap with recent recruits like Lyle,Lyles and Teague we just have grown impatient when it comes the recruits strutting around like attention seeking divas.

Our recruiting of Maverick Rowan just started several months ago it has not been a long journey.

I have no issue whatsoever with recruits waiting until the last minute to make a commitment. That may be in their best interest, which I fully support. Gives them time to see what the future roster will look like, and how they will fit in the rotation. The issue arises when they string along multiple coaching staffs and waste valuable recruiting resources because they aren't capable of making an informed decision when the time is right.

I have no issue whatsoever with recruits waiting until the last minute to make a commitment. That may be in their best interest, which I fully support. Gives them time to see what the future roster will look like, and how they will fit in the rotation. The issue arises when they string along multiple coaching staffs and waste valuable recruiting resources because they aren't capable of making an informed decision when the time is right.

I agree with this 100%, these guys seem to love to string along programs way to much.

After reading this quote, there's no chance Rowan will be a part of UofL's roster

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I need to play right away," Rowan said. "Like I said before, I'm not gonna sit on the bench until my senior year. That's the way it is.

"I think [playing time] is everywhere with those four schools. I wouldn't consider them if I didn't think I could go there and play right away."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like his recruitment, and I don't repsect his attitude toward playing time. No mention of competing for minutes or wanting to win, just "get me on the court". Good luck elsewhere.

After reading this quote, there's no chance Rowan will be a part of UofL's roster

"I need to play right away," Rowan said. "Like I said before, I'm not gonna sit on the bench until my senior year. That's the way it is.

"I think [playing time] is everywhere with those four schools. I wouldn't consider them if I didn't think I could go there and play right away."

I don't like his recruitment, and I don't respect his attitude toward playing time. No mention of competing for minutes or wanting to win, just "get me on the court". Good luck elsewhere.

I agree. He doesn't sound like he has the right attitude to be 100% L1C4.

Reactions: pervisl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT