ADVERTISEMENT

Daylen Lile

Chances Lile makes it Louisville?

• Total voters
He can, of course, come here. OR he can sign a big time contract and play a game he loves for big, big money. Hmmmmmmm, I’m thinking he’ll do what the kid from Ballard did a couple of years ago. At least he did commit to UofL and I’m happy about that. Good luck to this young man and his family.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Sorry to say the poll itself doesn’t make sense. Will he play for UofL - Yes or No. Chances he plays for UofL - 0%, 25%, etc.
At the end of the day if he gets drafted in the first 5 rounds - he gone.

Reactions: gocds
So I know Daylen’s older brother fairly well from my time at U of L, and I think there’s a shot he ends up at U of L, but like you all have said, if you get drafted early enough, you probably just need to go ahead and take the deal. I spoke with him the other day about the draft and I don’t think a decision either way has been made yet. Rightly so, in my opinion.

We’ll see where he gets drafted, but if it’s the first 2 or 3 rounds, I’d say he goes. If you could only stay in school for 1 year, then I think it would be more likely he’d be in school. Unfortunately, that’s not the case

For reference, here’s a good resource about what you’re giving up if you pass on getting drafted in the first 2 rounds.

By round 3, things start to get less life changing.

If he slips (maybe to RD3 or RD4?), could NIL possibilities at UofL help sway him to come to school? Maybe Louisville Slugger comes up with an ad campaign for a local kid? Anything to make the gap narrower.

Wishful thinking probably.

AUGUST 1st is deadline to sign according to baseball America

When was sowers drafted out of high school before he went to Vanderbilt ?

Aside from the financial considerations, these young adults must weigh the differences between college campus life vs A, AA and AAA baseball, all of which requires a lot of traveling (by bus) from small town to small town and living in hotels. Some might embrace the experience just fine, but some families discourage their kids from selecting that career choice so early in their life.

With that said, the amount of money can be too much to resist.

Reactions: PHCARD and gocds
As mentioned - college life. Includes going to school which some guys are just real jazzed about doing.

He and his family have decisions to make. I can just imagine what an incredible asset he would be to UofL baseball. Good luck to him and his family.

GO CARDS!!!

Yeah the slot money for the 47th pick is 1.6 million…
I think Coach Mac said today that Davis bet on himself and wound up making a lot more.

Maybe he was indirectly speaking to Daylen. However, $1.6 Million is what I would consider to be life changing money.

This draft placement puts me firmly in the “I have no idea what I’d do” but a lot can happen in 3 years from the injury perspective. I would probably bet that I can’t move that many places in 3 years, since he was drafted so highly already. 3rd or 4th round would have been easier, but mid-second round isn’t much room for improvement.

Reactions: Bardman
Yea, be a shocker if he decided to ink with us. Best of luck, sounds like a great kid / family.

Just happy for this young man; most deserving of the attractive options that await him and his family.

At one time, young athletes with the family resources that could pay large premiums for injury insurance could afford to delay the professional route, knowing they could cover the financial risk of any injuries.

Just happy for this young man; most deserving of the attractive options that await him and his family.

At one time, young athletes with the family resources that could pay large premiums for injury insurance could afford to delay the professional route, knowing they could cover the financial risk of any injuries.
Quit dreaming. The young man needs to sign. No amount of insurance could cover the possibility that he goes to college for 2 years that he will improve his draft position. Follow your dream and good luck!

Reactions: fredburgcard
Unless his family is in deep poverty, the 1.6 million shouldn't be his reasoning to bypass college. Is it his goal to be a millionaire or to be a better baseball player?

If he believes 3 years of college will advance his baseball skills then that should be what he does. The 1.6 is not going to change his goal to be the best player he can be. It's just going to help his family economically.

Now that may be the goal as it has been with thousands of young athletes before him. Only the player knows what is best for his advancement in the game. College baseball or minor league baseball. There are arguments for and against both.

Reactions: PHCARD and Bardman
NC Card, you are either quite naive, or just ignorant of life beyond a message board.

$1.6 million for a single adult with no dependents is not “all the money in the world”; particularly after Federal, State and local income taxes are extracted.

I do not know this young man, or his family or their respective financial circumstances; however, his education at Trinity HS would suggest that his family is most resourceful in addressing the needs of their son.

I further doubt that you have ever played professional baseball, and have any real understanding as to the sacrifice associated with playing in the farm club system ……. one that does not eliminate the same possibility of injury as in college. 18 year-old young men like Daylen have their entire life ahead of them, and decisions like these are seldom confined to money considerations; something that has totally escaped your level of comprehension.

lastly, I am neither dreaming or hoping one way or another; as the Lile family will make the very best informed decision for Daylen; a process they appear to be quite successful doing thus far.

Like I said above I am happy for the kid and his family. I have read, that there are some scouts, MLB organizations, etc., that believe specifically as it relates to pitchers', that college is the better option for development. I suppose it comes down to the specific player and his abilities. Regardless, happy for him.

Call me crazy but I think Daylen could very well end up being a Corey Ray type (5th overall pick). Corey signed for just over 4M but was not nearly the prospect Daylen is/was coming out of HS. Obviously hoping Daylen enrolls but certainly wouldn’t be upset if he signed with WSH.

Another element in this decision is the fact that college baseball players don’t get full scholarships, they only get percentages of a scholarship, which would be like 25%. So not only would he be turning down a million dollars, but then he would be having to pay to attend UofL. That does come with the opportunity to attain a degree, but it’s quite the flip in money between the options. I do believe the college experience would be much more enjoyable than life in the minors, but at what point does that become a factor. Tough decision for anyone in that spot.

Another element in this decision is the fact that college baseball players don’t get full scholarships, they only get percentages of a scholarship, which would be like 25%. So not only would he be turning down a million dollars, but then he would be having to pay to attend UofL. That does come with the opportunity to attain a degree, but it’s quite the flip in money between the options. I do believe the college experience would be much more enjoyable than life in the minors, but at what point does that become a factor. Tough decision for anyone in that spot.
Unless he signed with a " sponsor".

NC Card, you are either quite naive, or just ignorant of life beyond a message board.

$1.6 million for a single adult with no dependents is not “all the money in the world”; particularly after Federal, State and local income taxes are extracted.

I do not know this young man, or his family or their respective financial circumstances; however, his education at Trinity HS would suggest that his family is most resourceful in addressing the needs of their son.

I further doubt that you have ever played professional baseball, and have any real understanding as to the sacrifice associated with playing in the farm club system ……. one that does not eliminate the same possibility of injury as in college. 18 year-old young men like Daylen have their entire life ahead of them, and decisions like these are seldom confined to money considerations; something that has totally escaped your level of comprehension.

lastly, I am neither dreaming or hoping one way or another; as the Lile family will make the very best informed decision for Daylen; a process they appear to be quite successful doing thus far.
Not to take this thread in another direction, but a family doesn't necessarily have to be resourceful to attend Trinity. Scholarships/financial aid are available.

Reactions: Bardman
Unless his family is in deep poverty, the 1.6 million shouldn't be his reasoning to bypass college. Is it his goal to be a millionaire or to be a better baseball player?

If he believes 3 years of college will advance his baseball skills then that should be what he does. The 1.6 is not going to change his goal to be the best player he can be. It's just going to help his family economically.

Now that may be the goal as it has been with thousands of young athletes before him. Only the player knows what is best for his advancement in the game. College baseball or minor league baseball. There are arguments for and against both.
I would say that he’ll likely end up with more resources and better coaching in professional baseball. The MLB wouldn’t draft guys out of high school if they thought that college ball was better for their development. They want to develop their own guys as soon as possible, and they have all of the resources to do so.

If you think I’m naive you must be clueless. Do you think a major league team would take a risk with the 47th pick on a player that may not sign? They are professionals and did their homework and probably knew about what it would take to sign. And I’m not saying that it’s all about money, just the opposite. It’s about opportunity.

PS - for the record, I hope I’m wrong and he becomes a Cardinal. But imho, I don’t think it’s the right decision.

If you think I’m naive you must be clueless. Do you think a major league team would take a risk with the 47th pick on a player that may not sign? They are professionals and did their homework and probably knew about what it would take to sign. And I’m not saying that it’s all about money, just the opposite. It’s about opportunity.

PS - for the record, I hope I’m wrong and he becomes a Cardinal. But imho, I don’t think it’s the right decision.
Yes, I think teams would do that.

Reactions: rh62531
NC Card, your presumptuous response is unbelievable; you presume to know the best decision for Daylen and his family? I do not think you (or I) have a clue as to what is in their best interest. My point remains ……the family know their options, and only they are qualified to decide what Daylen should do.

NC Card, your presumptuous response is unbelievable; you presume to know the best decision for Daylen and his family? I do not think you (or I) have a clue as to what is in their best interest. My point remains ……the family know their options, and only they are qualified to decide what Daylen should do.
At least you’re half right. I don’t claim to know what’s best and you just admitted you don’t. I am just going on law of averages and logic, not a few exceptions. I know a kid that just signed as a free agent, wasn’t drafted but got enough of a small signing bonus that paid for his last year of schooling. There are so many things they can offer you that college can’t touch. Maybe if you’re a late round pick, then it becomes a big decision.

Well NCCARD, it appears we are getting close to some agreement. For me, I see everyone of these kids separately and each one making life altering decisions at an early age that will affect their long term trajectory.

I apply my own life experience when expressing my thoughts on this subject. While I never had a chance to play professional sports, I too made a life changing decision when I left home at 17 and joined the Marine Corp. I missed an opportunity to get a college degree; something that limited me personally. Over the years, I enjoyed more succes in business than I deserved, but had I obtained a degree in Engineering, my businesses would have been far more rewarding.

I ended up with the financial rewards, but regret never obtaining the formal education and degree that most all of my peers enjoyed. Banking millions for these young folks looks very attractive now, but in years to come they might look back and question what they sacrificed in the process.

Good luck to any of these young men in their endeavors to make the MLB. A couple of things to remember the early years are not glamorous traveling in the farm league and it will be a lot more games to be played than what they are used to. Every year 1200 prospects are drafted and 900 of them won’t make it. I always thought it was better for athletes this young to go to college a couple of years. It will help them mature and be more able to handle the life changing experience they are getting ready to face.

Any word on the streets on his decision? I am not holding on to fleeting possibilities for sure. But, my fingers are crossed he decides to experience college life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT