ADVERTISEMENT

Confronting the Other Myth Petrino Can't Recruit

Cardfan1963

2000+
Sep 2, 2011
I am not sure where this came from. It may stem from the fact that when he started as a head coach he was at a non traditional power, and in Conference USA. Even then he recruited the likes of Michael Bush, Chris Redmon, and Peanut Whitehead. He paired that with diamonds in the rough to build great teams. In 2008 / 2007 CFN reranked his 2004 / 2003 classes into top 15 classes. He then took over Arkansas which was no hotbed of recruiting either. He built them into an SEC power.

Somehow I believe some of us bought into the myth. UK fans have done their best to encourage it, though it doesn't have a basis in fact. With this class we may find out that this staff might end up doing even better then the CCS staff.

Onwards and Upwards Card Fans.

I think the myth of Petrino as a bad recruiter is simply based on the star ratings. Star ratings are a starting point with a player. But look at the standings the last several years Mack Brown was at Texas. He had some Top 5 classes in the pipeline but his teams were under-performing.

The truth is, Petrino's done an excellent job of finding diamonds in the rough. More than that, he finds 2-3 star players that work well in his system and develops them.

Just this year he's done an excellent job winning commits away from schools like Alabama, Auburn and Clemson.

Petrino is doing an excellent job recruiting. Anyone trying to "break it down" differently is just spinning.

I THINK if you click on the "edit" button of the OP, you can also edit the title. If that doesn't work, I can delete a thread and you can start over if you like.

Thanks Steelers, I found it. You go to the left side of your original post, click on your user name. It opens a screen showing a link to your thread. Click that. Go to the top of that edit page, as it has the title. At the top there are more options, and click the "more tools" (little wrench) button next to "unwatch thread" button. In there you will get a drop down with Edit Title.

I guess you can unwatch you're own thread if you've said some thing controversial or it contains to many UK fans. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelers2012
My only concern is with this current class we have no one from the state of Florida. I hope this is not a trend moving forward.

I am sure they will get back down there and get some great pick ups. Lamar and Terrel are both from there aren't they?

My only concern is with this current class we have no one from the state of Florida. I hope this is not a trend moving forward.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that. We do have some great signings from deep in SEC territory. It's great we're plucking quality players out of places like Georgia and Alabama. Also, Terence Williams may still come here.

As always, you never know until Signing Day.

Georgia produces as much SEC talent as any state in the US. Check the rosters.

Part of the recruiting myth was that Petrino suffered a lotta roster attrition. Also remember that we didn't hear most of that garbage until he left in 2006. U of L revisionist history at the time, history that needs to be fully expunged. I never believed it...

I am not sure where this came from. It may stem from the fact that when he started as a head coach he was at a non traditional power, and in Conference USA. Even then he recruited the likes of Michael Bush, Chris Redmon, and Peanut Whitehead. He paired that with diamonds in the rough to build great teams. In 2008 / 2007 CFN reranked his 2004 / 2003 classes into top 15 classes. He then took over Arkansas which was no hotbed of recruiting either. He built them into an SEC power.

Somehow I believe some of us bought into the myth. UK fans have done their best to encourage it, though it doesn't have a basis in fact. With this class we may find out that this staff might end up doing even better then the CCS staff.

Yeh, that was all tilted-field bs so typical of college football commentary...most of the commentators are grinding axes...that CBP brought in Brohm and Bush and made hay with xfers like Shelton and Montrell Jones was all I ever needed to know. 2006 was a great year and we lost a future NFL premier back in Bush. Btw, I given CFN credit for that "re-ranking" [by how classes performed], that was big of them smh but they got it done.

Georgia produces as much SEC talent as any state in the US. Check the rosters.

Part of the recruiting myth was that Petrino suffered a lotta roster attrition. Also remember that we didn't hear most of that garbage until he left in 2006. U of L revisionist history at the time, history that needs to be fully expunged. I never believed it...

Me neither...the Athletic Dept was selling "national champ contender" all that summer and we never heard any of that whining and finger pointing til the wheels were coming off the HWSNBN cart in late October. Not that CBP had done anything worthwhile to make anyone want to defend him...it's just that facts are (and were) facts. He's a fine recruiter and we are headed in a very good direction.

Me neither...the Athletic Dept was selling "national champ contender" all that summer and we never heard any of that whining and finger pointing til the wheels were coming off the HWSNBN cart in late October. Not that CBP had done anything worthwhile to make anyone want to defend him...it's just that facts are (and were) facts. He's a fine recruiter and we are headed in a very good direction.

Simply put bad attrition didn't happen until HWNSNBU made that move to accomodate Charley Stubbs switch from CBP's Pro NFL game plan to the BYU experience Kragthorp wanted. The wheels then came off do to the switch because of Kregthorp's blunder and and Charley was gone the next year!

I'm not too worried about that right now. At this time last year, we only had one verbal commitment from FL, and we ended up with 5, including 4-stars Lamar Jackson and Devante Peete.

Bobby in my opinion is similar to Rick, sticks to players that fit his system. So three stars are more than serviceable for him and his system. Bottom line just shows that he really can coach up players at least to fit his system.

Reactions: pervisl
I'm not really sure where are why this "notion" is floated around in some parts. It is probably more of an internet thing than anything else, probably a couple of uk internet posters typed it, just to make themselves feel better, and others agreed with them.

While he was at Louisville he had some of Louisville's highest rankings ever. He brought in 4-star Brohm, Bush, Latarius Thomas, Andre Henderson, Dale Martin, Nate Harris, Earl Heyman, Zach Johnson and 5-star Peanut Whitehead, other top performers that were rated good but turned out great in the program such as Johnny Patrick, Mario Urrutia, Brandon Heath, LT Walker, Willie Williams (DT), Marcel Benson, Trent Guy, Breno Giacomini, Gary Barnidge, Adrian Grady, Eric Wood, Lamar Myles and several were on their way to great careers before transferring or getting the boot when Krags got here such as Anthony Allen, George Stripling and the before mentioned LT Thomas.

Arkansas was rolling when he left there so obviously he was bringing in good recruits there too.

If anyone really does believe this than it is just a something they do to make themselves feel better (uk fans thinking/hoping Petrino won't have UofL rolling).

He got the before mentioned recruits here when they were in the much maligned Big East in a nice 42,000 seat stadium, now they are in the ACC in a 55,000 stadium with one more BCS bowl and tons of NFL players to show recruits.

He obviously can recruit.

Reactions: pervisl

However, the roster had been totally hollowed out. Significant numbers never made it to campus, or otherwise vanished without a trace. I think this was a function of Bobby losing interest in Louisville, and casting his eye elsewhere. CSK was a terrible coach, but he was operating at a disadvantage in years 2 and 3 where little depth had been built. He panicked and fired Tubbs and went trolling for JUCOS to backfill the roster. His staff was also not very hard-working. In any case, that is probably the source of the myth. CBP recruits fine when he is interested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT