ADVERTISEMENT

Committee Discussing Expanding NCAAT

Ridiculous! The entire world has gone bonkers. The trend is to be ass backwards.

With the NCAA It's like it wants to degrade college basketball. Wants people to be turned off. Not just with this expansion of the tournament. The portal transfer BS may help programs one season only to hurt them the next.

Each year it gets worse. More and more people are tuning out. It isn't exactly Bud Lite or Disney, but the NCAA is doing the opposite of what most fans want to see. How long will it be before there's a transgendered player on a men or women's team?

At the signpost up ahead...

I agree they are ruining college sports they are on a self destruct mission. This is the everybody gets a ribbon mentality eventually who will even watch the tournament. I wonder how long it will be before they quit keeping score.

If they think it is going to make them more money they need to check and see how many people watch the division 2 and 3 playoffs. The answer is nobody except a handful of people not enough to change a system for it. College athletics is on its way out because of bad decision making.

I have no problem trying to make more money off the tournament. But this isn't the right approach IMO.

The tournament suffers from "too much" parity. A four-seed, two fives, and a nine-seed like we had in 2023 do not constitute a must-see Final Four. The TV ratings proved that. Not many honestly believe UConn was the best team in the country.

The NCAA should move toward a double elimination format, at least past the first weekend.

Counting the four play-in games that I wouldn't change--single elimination--there are 67 games in the tournament now. A double elimination format thereafter like we have in baseball increases the number of games to a minimum of 130 games and a max of 193.

Not only does that NOT admit more teams with little chance of success, it improves the integrity of the results for the 68 teams in the tournament now...

BTW the math in my previous post just substituted a mini, best-2-of-3 series in the 64 team bracket where there's a single game between two teams now. The same two teams would play each other until one won two games.

You can do a double elimination as they do in baseball with four teams and a loser's bracket. I'd have to figure how many games that equates to, but it's obviously more than the 67 we have now for the entire tournament...

Agree 64 was perfect. 68 was a change people could deal with maybe it didn't completely alter the 1st Rd matchups just added a level of "play-in" for a few spots that didn't rock the boat too much.

Shaking it up further is just too much of a $ grab and it's going to further water down the value of the regular season and the NCAAT obviously. We've already got teams that hover around .500 pushing for a bid and if they move this to 96 you're talking about some bad teams getting in there.

Will be interesting to see what they do with it and how it impacts interest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT