ADVERTISEMENT

College FBI trial first Gatto name droppings

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
  1. Dan Wetzel‏Verified account@DanWetzel 8m8 minutes ago
    Gatto's atty also said Under Armor paid $20,000 to recruit Silvio De Sousa to sign with Maryland and Arizona offered $150,000 for Nassir Little. De Sousa is at Kansas, Little at UNC now. Goal is to make all of college hoops look corrupt.

2. Dan Wetzel‏Verified account@DanWetzel 11m11 minutes ago
    During opening statement this morning, Jim Gattto's atty promised evidence would show Oregon offered "an atronomical amount of money" to recruit Brian Bowen to play for the Ducks. The $100,000 deal to attend Louisville was to "level the playing field."

Hmm Doubt Little turned down 150k to play for free at NC wonder what offered over that amount but it's NC so we will never know

NEW YORK – During opening statements in the federal college basketball corruption trial, the defense attorney for Adidas executive Jim Gatto acknowledged that her client had committed numerous NCAA violations, specifically in agreeing to send $100,000 to the family of top recruit Brian Bowen in exchange for him attending the University of Louisville.

Gatto did it, she argued, only because he was asked, presumably, although not specifically stated, by Louisville coaches, in an effort to “level the playing field” in the recruitment. The attorney, Casey Donnelly, said evidence would show there was a bidding war for the Saginaw, Michigan recruit.

“Jim Gatto broke NCAA rules,” Donnelly said. “NCAA rules are not laws.”

Donnelly did not specifically say that Gatto was working at the behest of Rick Pitino, the then-Louisville coach. She repeatedly stated that Gatto acted at the wishes of coaches, in general.

Bowen’s dad is going to testify. He has been granted immunity. This concerns me some.
It' going to be interesting what he says however in order for him to get a deal. His info has already been given to the FBI and they havent said Rick did anything . Dawkins however is the one whom threw Ricks name in it. His info is the one that worries me most.

Reactions: Law007
It' going to be interesting what he says however in order for him to get a deal. His info has already been given to the FBI and they havent said Rick did anything . Dawkins however is the one whom threw Ricks name in it. His info is the one that worries me most.

What worries me is that he will implicate one or more assistants.

Bowen’s dad is going to testify. He has been granted immunity. This one concerns me some.

Why? He's testifying for the government, NOT the defendant. I, and others on twitter, think this isn't a bad thing. The government is using Bowen Sr. to try and prove that Gatto and others defrauding these Universities.

Reactions: Smithereen
Why? He's testifying for the government, NOT the defendant. I, and others on twitter, think this isn't a bad thing. The government is using Bowen Sr. to try and prove that Gatto and others defrauding these Universities.

Well, they get a chance to cross examine him and it’s tough to predict what will be said or what will be presented

My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: tmjurich
The judge is now trying to decide if the stripper scandal should be allowed to be discussed. Basically Dawkins’ attorney wants to argue that UofL wasn’t defrauded because they had no concern for compliance. And they want to use the fact that UofL didn’t fire anyone in the wake of the stripper scandal as evidence of that disregard for compliance. This thing is gonna be another PR mess for UofL.

Reactions: awf and CatsFan75
“Louisville was on probation at the time they solicited my client to break NCAA rules,” attorney Steve Haney, who represents Dawkins, argued to Judge Kaplan. Haney said it was a critical piece of evidence because there was no reason for Dawkins to think he was hurting a school whose only concern about cheating was getting caught.

Reactions: CatsFan75
“Louisville was on probation at the time they solicited my client to break NCAA rules,” attorney Steve Haney, who represents Dawkins, argued to Judge Kaplan. Haney said it was a critical piece of evidence because there was no reason for Dawkins to think he was hurting a school whose only concern about cheating was getting caught.
This means nothing without any supporting evidence. He can say anything but it doesn't make it so. If he has no proof that UofL solicted him to do it, then it just his word versus CRP. This guy will say anything to save his a$$ from jail time.

Reactions: Deeva and zipp
✔@DanWetzel
Also this recorded exchange between Merl Code and Christian Dawkins. Code: "If you ask Rick Pitino if he knows what he happened (with Bowen) he'd say he doesn't know." Dawkins: "He probably doesn't." Code: "He does know some. He doesn't know everything ... plausible deniability."
4:47 PM - Oct 3, 2018
✔@DanWetzel

Rick Pitino
✔@RealPitino

I have never met or spoken to Merl code in my life. Thought that name was a Nike name until the story broke

6:06 PM - Oct 3, 2018

Dan Wetzel‏Verified account@DanWetzel
Prosecutors did bring up that ex U of L asst Kenny Johnson paid Brian Bowen's family $1,300 and ex asst Jordan Fair gave $900 regarding a separate unnamed recruit.

9:49 AM - 4 Oct 2018

We screwed now! Rick ain't getting paid shit only good thing from this

So the prosecution just said in court as a matter of fact that Kenny Johnson and Jordan Fair both directly gave money to recruits. This thing is ugly for UofL.

Dan Wetzel‏Verified account@DanWetzel
Prosecutors did bring up that ex U of L asst Kenny Johnson paid Brian Bowen's family $1,300 and ex asst Jordan Fair gave $900 regarding a separate unnamed recruit.

9:49 AM - 4 Oct 2018

We screwed now! Rick ain't getting paid shit only good thing from this

If Rick gets one f’ing penny from UofL then it will be a crime. At best he obviously lost all ability to hire and maintain a honest staff.

So only so far U of L is being trialed in the public court . Accusations have been slung around at other programs . However it seems all the evidence is only being brought out against Louisville! But other programs had asst coaches arrested this whole thing is just plain sickening. And in the end U of L will be the only program screwed guranteed!

Reactions: Smithereen
I’m trying to not overreact but the prosecution mentioning these payments almost assuredly means there is direct proof of them. This is REALLY BAD for UofL basketball. Johnson was Pitino’s top assistant. He knew exactly what the program had been through. Had they not already been fired, these revelations would’ve certainly resulted in the firing of Pitino and Jurich. Total lack of oversight. Damn this sucks.

Reactions: kl40504
I’m trying to not overreact but the prosecution mentioning these payments almost assuredly means there is direct proof of them. This is REALLY BAD for UofL basketball. Johnson was Pitino’s top assistant. He knew exactly what the program had been through. Had they not already been fired, these revelations would’ve certainly resulted in the firing of Pitino and Jurich. Total lack of oversight. Damn this sucks.
I think this info i could be "wrong though" was received from U of L's compliance after the Bowen incident came to light. Not actually directly from Bowen Sr.

Explains maybe how when Rick asked Kenny how did the Bowens afford too stay at the Galt House. Kenny maybe just doing what he had to do in order to secure the recruit gave 1300 so they could stay in a Louisville hotel while being recruited. 1300 was nothing for kenny to be able to pay on his own.

Explains maybe how when Rick asked Kenny how did the Bowens afford too stay at the Galt House. Kenny maybe just doing what he had to do in order to secure the recruit gave 1300 so they could stay in a Louisville hotel while being recruited. 1300 was nothing for kenny to be able to pay on his own.

Idk...but it’s not good regardless

Since the Louisville compliance director is on the stand good chance Louisville found this during their internal review turned it over. No matter how you cut it doesn't look good but who knows what is going on behind the scenes. Louisville has cleaned house but it probably won't matter.

Bowen Sr. on the stand when asked why his son is not at U of L he broke down crying . just ordered a recess. very interesting with this guy gonna be either bad or good for U of L. praying he states U of L wasn't really in on it however everything with U of L involvement always ends up bad .

Bowen Sr says he began accepting money from Addias while his son was in High school as far back as 2015 and that Brian wanted to go to Arizona but Dawkins pushed for Louisville and they seen that Rick Pitino was the coach and thought money would be involved.

This is sort of sounding like a Johnson and Dawkins deal gone haywire. With Dawkins having the Addidas connection.

So the prosecution just said in court as a matter of fact that Kenny Johnson and Jordan Fair both directly gave money to recruits. This thing is ugly for UofL.

Lol $1300 and $900 is a lot better than thousands. Guys who have reported it that are at the court house haven’t really done anything but call it a side not and brush it off.

Lol $1300 and $900 is a lot better than thousands. Guys who have reported it that are at the court house haven’t really done anything but call it a side not and brush it off.

This is money that directly implicated assistant coaches on a program that was on probation. Not something you just brush off.

Anyways it is apparent that Bowen Sr is dropping the names of assistants at other schools with Dawkins as the middle man.

UofL compliance guy said he was unaware of any payments, so doesn't look like we knew this internally.
Yeah, interesting the Feds would ask the compliance director if he knew, not sure what their angle is with that bit of news.

UofL compliance guy said he was unaware of any payments, so doesn't look like we knew this internally.
Just more rogue assistants. U of L and Pitino are ironically joined at the hip on this...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT