ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman Hawkins 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaz_Swag

No-Ranking Prospect
Gold Member
Apr 17, 2023
Coleman Hawkins entered the portal today. I believe he’s going to go through the draft process. Watched quite a few Illinois games this past season and he’s really good. Stretch 4, about 6’10…would love for the staff to make a run at him.

This would be a major get for PK. Hawkins is a skilled big man and has a good basketball IQ. He probably won't choose Louisville because other top programs who haven't lost 52 games in two seasons would take him in a heartbeat.

I believe, depending on the student athlete’s maturity level and who is counseling him, it is likely their decision in selecting the school will have less to do about the school’s previous year’s performance; and much more about the reputation of the head coach and the conference of the school. ACC exposure alone is a significant consideration in terms of preparation for professional future.

I believe, depending on the student athlete’s maturity level and who is counseling him, it is likely their decision in selecting the school will have less to do about the school’s previous year’s performance; and much more about the reputation of the head coach and the conference of the school. ACC exposure alone is a significant consideration in terms of preparation for professional future.
This is generally true but Louisville is a different story after the past two seasons. Going somewhere where it's a complete overhaul with a new coach, after a decade of constant bad vibes, is going to cause players to think to themselves do they really want to take a chance at UofL with other good options are available.

A lot goes into it but it's pretty obvious $ is the #1 factor for the players destination choices, and in a lot of instances probably the deciding factor for them.

Not too many people go working for less than what the market offers 'em, especially young people.

These kids aren’t concerned with what happened the last year 😂. For Christ’s sake, you are bringing in a completely new team. Show them the money and facilities and you can get them.

Reactions: Slaz_Swag
These kids aren’t concerned with what happened the last year 😂. For Christ’s sake, you are bringing in a completely new team. Show them the money and facilities and you can get them.
Not true. There are players who do follow the game and know about the decade old drama here at UofL. There are players who only care about money as well.

Consider a transfer who's down to Louisville and any other power conference school and both are offering pretty much the same amount of NIL. You don't think he's going to wonder if going to Louisville could backfire?

UofL has dug itself a deep hole and getting out of it is going to take wins, and then recruits and transfers can forget about all the negativity around the program.

It's all about the dolla dolla bills $$$$$$$ !!

Not true. There are players who do follow the game and know about the decade old drama here at UofL. There are players who only care about money as well.

Consider a transfer who's down to Louisville and any other power conference school and both are offering pretty much the same amount of NIL. You don't think he's going to wonder if going to Louisville could backfire?

UofL has dug itself a deep hole and getting out of it is going to take wins, and then recruits and transfers can forget about all the negativity around the program.
LOL!

If what you are saying is true you wouldn't have any of the players you have. None of them dude.

You'd be so far behind you'd have Fabio type of guy running the show so your theory isn't aligned with the reality.

Every player he's landed had a ton of options. If they cared about last year or the last decade they wouldn't be here.

It's NIL first, second, third, then a few other variables sure. The recent dump might prevent the top guys, but you weren't really getting any of those guys in the best of times either.

JQ is the perfect example in making my point; he is a good as there is in terms of incoming candidates. Q is coveted by everyone (just look at his offer sheet). As CR just noted, its all about the money, as Q would be wearing Cardinal Red this coming season if UL was willing to meet the $2M NIL demands (some % up front was part of the expectation).

Listen to the Coaches, the ADs and the kids ........ there is no greater influence under this scenario than money. For most it is only for 1 year, and in truth as long as they perform individually, there is little concern for advancing the school beyond showcasing their respective game in the tournament.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
LOL!

If what you are saying is true you wouldn't have any of the players you have. None of them dude.

You'd be so far behind you'd have Fabio type of guy running the show so your theory isn't aligned with the reality.

Every player he's landed had a ton of options. If they cared about last year or the last decade they wouldn't be here.

It's NIL first, second, third, then a few other variables sure. The recent dump might prevent the top guys, but you weren't really getting any of those guys in the best of times either.
Never said every player. Of course some will choose UofL for any number of reasons. Doesn't mean that other players are concerned about coming here.

You can't deny that when these transfers and recruits are contacted by Louisville, many of them are reminded of the cluster fu%# it has been here for awhile. That is a factor whether you want to believe it or not.

Those during prior three years. However, many choose the $$, many choose the style that fits them, many choose the relationship, many choose the coaches that help them develop and will promote them to media, scouts, other coaches. Anything beyond past three years these kids would be 14 or younger.

Never said every player. Of course some will choose UofL for any number of reasons. Doesn't mean that other players are concerned about coming here.

You can't deny that when these transfers and recruits are contacted by Louisville, many of them are reminded of the cluster fu%# it has been here for awhile. That is a factor whether you want to believe it or not.
I can deny your theory matters by pointing to the facts of the # of coveted players he's already signed without coaching a game. It's already 8 guys, it's just too many solid players for anyone to think the past matters all that much. He's sold it to many guys who had many options and chose this. He hit two guys in the CBS T25.

They lost a highly coveted recruit to AZ St, who has pretty much always been a cluster fu%# themselves.

You might have a good talking point if he was sitting with 3 low ring guys or less. Or, if the HC was still Payne or even Pitino. Or, if UofL had a long list of high-end guys they used to get and now we see they are no longer getting them. But that was never a thing. None of that is the reality.

No, they can't get whoever they want, they never could.

Reactions: Mayoman
I can deny your theory matters by pointing to the facts of the # of coveted players he's already signed without coaching a game. It's already 8 guys, it's just too many solid players for anyone to think the past matters all that much. He's sold it to many guys who had many options and chose this. He hit two guys in the CBS T25.

They lost a highly coveted recruit to AZ St, who has pretty much always been a cluster fu%# themselves.

You might have a good talking point if he was sitting with 3 low ring guys or less. Or, if the HC was still Payne or even Pitino. Or, if UofL had a long list of high-end guys they used to get and now we see they are no longer getting them. But that was never a thing. None of that is the reality.

No, they can't get whoever they want, they never could.
You're not listening to me. I know there are players who will commit to Louisville. But there's also some who are hesitant to commit. You seriously don't believe these players are not hearing it about how much of a risk going to Louisville may be?

All I've said is some of these misses could be due to the rock bottom the Cards program is at. It seems very logical to me that they're going to lose "some" commitments to this.

If my 19 year old son was transferring, I would surely bring up going to Louisville as a risk. Now it may be a risk worth taking, but if Ohio State or Auburn was willing to match the NIL, that could change things.

I hope I am wrong but I think we're going to have to see a season under the new coach before we get rid of the doubt. But if we get this big man I will be most happy. If we don't, it makes me wonder.

So in your words, Kenny Payne left a big cloud over Louisville. Like one other poster already pointed out PK has already brought some dudes in. Just because JQ didn’t work out some people think we are in a funk. I don’t feel that way.

You're not listening to me. I know there are players who will commit to Louisville. But there's also some who are hesitant to commit. You seriously don't believe these players are not hearing it about how much of a risk going to Louisville may be?

All I've said is some of these misses could be due to the rock bottom the Cards program is at. It seems very logical to me that they're going to lose "some" commitments to this.

If my 19 year old son was transferring, I would surely bring up going to Louisville as a risk. Now it may be a risk worth taking, but if Ohio State or Auburn was willing to match the NIL, that could change things.

I hope I am wrong but I think we're going to have to see a season under the new coach before we get rid of the doubt. But if we get this big man I will be most happy. If we don't, it makes me wonder.
I have presented you with facts in regards to multiple highly coveted players that have signed here already. They didn't care about your theory.

You ignore those facts and repeat your theory. You have no facts, you just like your opinion and ignore facts that don't align with it.

It's almost completely about $ any other theory is clueless and total sidebar. That's a theory for sure, but a good one.

Last edited:
I have presented you with facts in regards to multiple highly coveted players that have signed here already. They didn't care about your theory.

You ignore those facts and repeat your theory. You have no facts, you just like your opinion and ignore facts that don't align with it.

It's almost completely about $ any other theory is clueless and total sidebar. That's a theory for sure, but a good one.

Hard to believe Arky not on that list..

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

I have not ignored these players commiting here. You are the one thats ignoring. I'm saying both are happening and it's you who without any reasoning at all, insist no one is or will bypass Louisville for reasons other than NIL.

What I've been saying is not a theory. If one single player admits they chose another school because they were still hesitant about Louisville, I guess you would tell him he's ignoring facts.

I'm not liking a theory. I just have an opinion that I believe is a legitimate concern and may be factor with these players. That's it. Why can't you get that through your head?

I just have an opinion that I believe is a legitimate concern and may be factor with these players. That's it. Why can't you get that through your head?
Bwhahahaha getting nasty now! Agree with you or get insulted by you.

I understand your fact and evidence free sanctimonious drivel. Maybe if you say the same thing 5 more times you get a cookie, but you won't be getting any closer to sharing a fact.

“ What I've been saying is not a theory. If one single player admits they chose another school because they were still hesitant about Louisville, I guess you would tell him he's ignoring facts.”

Uhh…I’m not aware of that happening…..so, that’s a mighty big “if”. Hypotheticals don’t really serve as facts.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
“ What I've been saying is not a theory. If one single player admits they chose another school because they were still hesitant about Louisville, I guess you would tell him he's ignoring facts.”

Uhh…I’m not aware of that happening…..so, that’s a mighty big “if”. Hypotheticals don’t really serve as facts.
What is happening is we are pulling some quality players. Some players are picking other programs like AZ ST, maybe Washington if this guy goes to his former HC. It's choosing one dumpster over another dumpster so the theory fails there too.

It's obviously about $ and maybe a few other minor details.

It's not like UofL's getting anyone they want in happier times. They have lost countless recruiting battles prior to the problems.

If we weren't pulling players and/or there was no NIL he might have a good point. But since that ain't the reality, he doesn't.

Bwhahahaha getting nasty now! Agree with you or get insulted by you.

I understand your fact and evidence free sanctimonious drivel. Maybe if you say the same thing 5 more times you get a cookie, but you won't be getting any closer to sharing a fact.
I don't want or need you to agree with me. You can believe what you want just as I can. Something you apparently cannot comprehend.

You're the one who has been nasty. How in the world is what I'm saying sanctimonious? I'm not demanding you to agree, only trying to explain what I think may be the case with some of these players. This entire debate is what message boards are for, yet you have become offended because I continue to make the case for an opinion.

So I'll tell you what. Never frigging mind.

So you have to be aware of people you don't know or it's not happening? From the beginning of this, I only brought this up as a possible reason for some players not choosing Louisville. I didn't say it was definitely happening, only that it may with some players.

If I knew I was going to be attacked like I'm a UK homer I wouldn't have said a thing. It's just an opinion that sounds reasonable to me, not definite. I don't want players to think this and so far 8 haven't. But there also may be others who have.

Don't we agree that other coaching staffs still negative recruit on Louisville? Why wouldn't they tell a transfer that they've taking a big risk going to Louisville? They could show and tell them all sorts of things that could influence a players decision.

I opined on this initially because someone was calling out our coaches for losing transfers to other schools, and I don't believe that's fair. There are several reasons a player would bypass Louisville, including the appearance of being currently the worst power conference team for two seasons now.

But apparently I'm a sanctimonious idiot for thinking that? Whatever.

Nope, but you’re just guessing and that’s OK. Who knows. But, all schools negatively recruit…it’s just business as usual. But out of curiosity, what would be the current negative narrative about UL. That we’ve had some down years but have cleaned house and now have a coach with a 70+% win record? Just wondering what you think the negative spin is?

I believe NIL is the primary concern. Everything else is way, way, way behind. If a player is getting equal offers from two competing programs they might start going down the list of other concerns. But I think 99% of this is getting decided by who outbids the competition.

This is a new world in that every player has the ability to demand some kind of money plus transfer immediately. That makes this entire thing extremely fluid. Duke lost a ton of their returning players. Every roster is somewhat of a rebuild. Sure some are total rebuilds like Louisville/UK.

Negative recruiting comes in many forms. Take your pick. The whole reason there is negative recruiting is because it works. Louisville isn’t unique.

Like some have said this is about NIL and playing time. As the pieces fall into place the interest level in any program decreases. Louisville is going to land a PF. They have NIL and playing time. Now his backup is an other story. Their 2 big targets are heavy minutes dudes. Do we really think they will land a former all conference type of starter to back up either? Highly unlikely. Even if they do I am not sure team chemistry would be good. KY was absolutely loaded with depth last year it eventually ate them from inside.

Nope, but you’re just guessing and that’s OK. Who knows. But, all schools negatively recruit…it’s just business as usual. But out of curiosity, what would be the current negative narrative about UL. That we’ve had some down years but have cleaned house and now have a coach with a 70+% win record? Just wondering what you think the negative spin is?
I think we can agree the past two seasons of KP has put the program at rock bottom? I think locally, we fans have become a bit numb to it, but for transfers and recruits it's unbelievable to them just how bad the last two seasons were.

They're told how the magnificent Yum center was virtually empty during games and how the fanbase had given up for the most part. Then they're told of the Coach Mack fiasco that followed the sordid stripper scandal that stripped the program of two final 4's and a title.

That's a lot of negative stacked up on negative and what was once an exciting prospect of playing for a traditional powerhouse program, turns to the concern of taking a risk when other top programs don't have this kind of baggage.

After meeting with Coack Kelsey, some have been convinced things are going to be different, but others when they visit other schools, the first thing they hear is do you really want to go there? We don't have that here at Indiana or Oklahoma State. We haven't lost to Lemoyne, Bellarmine or blown out by DePaul.

All I've been saying is until Louisville goes back to winning again, the doubts that things will turn around immediately are going to be present during recruitment. I admit I'm surprised how fast Coach Kelsey has built a roster and I believe the turn around will be immediate. However, getting those last few pieces which is front court players, hasn't been as successful and concerns over the programs struggles could be a factor?

I guess we will never know for sure unless someone says that's why they didn't choose Louisville? When I made my comments about this, in no way did I expect to be called out like I was. I figured it would be a interesting debate, but apparently I was wrong.

Something you apparently cannot comprehend.

You're the one who has been nasty.
You are projecting.

You think if people do not agree with you "they cannot comprehend" you. Dude, you aren't some cutting edge poster, your material is basic and fact free in this instance. People understand you here, they just think this point of yours is weak and do not agree with you. Even if you keep posting it on loop.

You also told me to "get it through my head"- and "you arent listening to me"...again, you are rude, sanctimonious, and condescending. You are just a nasty dude like a few others who cannot handle a different opinion. You can't do it, because you are simple.

We see you. And no, I don't care that you suck, but I will call you out for trying to project your style onto me here.

Last edited:
So you have to be aware of people you don't know or it's not happening? From the beginning of this, I only brought this up as a possible reason for some players not choosing Louisville. I didn't say it was definitely happening, only that it may with some players.

If I knew I was going to be attacked like I'm a UK homer I wouldn't have said a thing. It's just an opinion that sounds reasonable to me, not definite. I don't want players to think this and so far 8 haven't. But there also may be others who have.

Don't we agree that other coaching staffs still negative recruit on Louisville? Why wouldn't they tell a transfer that they've taking a big risk going to Louisville? They could show and tell them all sorts of things that could influence a players decision.

I opined on this initially because someone was calling out our coaches for losing transfers to other schools, and I don't believe that's fair. There are several reasons a player would bypass Louisville, including the appearance of being currently the worst power conference team for two seasons now.

But apparently I'm a sanctimonious idiot for thinking that? Whatever.
You didn't get attacked. Your reading comprehension is very poor, and you are very defensive. Yes, you admire your work. We get it. Now and then some people disagree with you. I know, just incredible.

You are projecting.

You think if people do not agree with you "they cannot comprehend" you. Dude, you aren't some cutting edge poster, your material is basic and fact free in this instance. People understand you here, they just think this point of yours is weak and do not agree with you. Even if you keep posting it on loop.

You also told me to "get it through my head"- again, you are rude, sanctimonious, and condescending. You are just a nasty dude like a few others who cannot handle a different opinion. You can't do it, because you are simple.

We see you. And no, I don't care that you suck, but I will call you out for trying to project your style onto me here.
Oh man, what a hypocrite. Like you're not rude and condescending? Unbelievable! Your first response to my post was LOL.

And it wasn't people who couldn't comprehend, it was just you I was referring to for continuing to ignore that I said I know most players are not affected by the recent struggles, but some may be.

You were calling it a theory when it's clear it's just an opinion I wanted others to consider. You started the animosity here. Not once did I say you had to agree with my opinion. I was just debating until you took it personal like I was zipp.

I've been here for years and nobody has ever said I was nasty or condescending. You're just a classic bully who wants to intimidate others that you disagree with.

And that's the facts!

You didn't get attacked. Your reading comprehension is very poor, and you are very defensive. Yes, you admire your work. We get it. Now and then some people disagree with you. I know, just incredible.
Oh really. I will challenge you at reading comprehension all living long day. And once again, I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me. This has nothing to do with my work whatever that means. You are the aggressor and everyone can see it.

Oh man, what a hypocrite. Like you're not rude and condescending? Unbelievable! Your first response to my post was LOL.

And it wasn't people who couldn't comprehend, it was just you I was referring to for continuing to ignore that I said I know most players are not affected by the recent struggles, but some may be.

You were calling it a theory when it's clear it's just an opinion I wanted others to consider. You started the animosity here. Not once did I say you had to agree with my opinion. I was just debating until you took it personal like I was zipp.

I've been here for years and nobody has ever said I was nasty or condescending. You're just a classic bully who wants to intimidate others that you disagree with.

And that's the facts!
Laughing is offensive. You are uptight. You are taking this way too seriously if laughing is off limits.

I'm not bullying you. I disagreed with you. That's it.

Oh really. I will challenge you at reading comprehension all living long day. And once again, I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with me. This has nothing to do with my work whatever that means. You are the aggressor and everyone can see it.
First rude post, post #7 - yours, you tell some dude "Not true" come on that's kinda rude. But really, if you are willing to post that, you should be able to handle LOL.

Post #14 - "You're not listening to me" - TF dude we heard you. Nobody here is your child or spouse. Pretty condescending stuff guy. Rude.

Post #21 - "You can't get that through your head" - You again. Rude. Bg time. No way around it. Classless. Jerk. Bully. Quit projecting.

My first rude post to you was #22. 21 is before 22 smart guy. Unless you really do want to count LOL. If LOL triggered this yikes.

Quit lying. Just hang it up. Move on. You don't realize you're a jerk because you write novels.

I can be a jerk absolutely. At least I know that. But mostly to trolls, or rude people like you.

Laughing is offensive. You are uptight. You are taking this way too seriously if laughing is off limits.

I'm not bullying you. I disagreed with you. That's it.
When someone calls me nasty and sanctimonious and condescending that usually projects a defensive response.

I've maintained several times now that I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but you continue to ignore it. Yet, you now say you just disagree with me and that's it.

How convenient for you.

First rude post, post #7 - yours, you tell some dude "Not true" come on that's kinda rude. But really, if you are willing to post that, you should be able to handle LOL.

Post #14 - "You're not listening to me" - TF dude we heard you. Nobody here is your child or spouse. Pretty condescending stuff guy. Rude.

Post #21 - "You can't get that through your head" - You again. Rude. Bg time. No way around it. Classless. Jerk. Bully. Quit projecting.

My first rude post to you was #22. 21 is before 22 smart guy. Unless you really do want to count LOL. If LOL triggered this yikes.

Quit lying. Just hang it up. Move on. You don't realize you're a jerk because you write novels.

I can be a jerk absolutely. At least I know that. But mostly to trolls, or rude people like you.
Unbelievable! It's like we're in the Twilight Zone. Well at least I know now who you really are.

When someone calls me nasty and sanctimonious and condescending that usually projects a defensive response.

I've maintained several times now that I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but you continue to ignore it. Yet, you now say you just disagree with me and that's it.

How convenient for you.
Post 22 is after the Post 14&21. Thems the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT