ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Kelsey

CARDOMYTE

6000+
Gold Member
Mar 31, 2003
Got a chance to spend some time with him last week. Many of you have heard me say numerous times he just needed keys to a big time program and he’d take off. I’ve been high on him for years, having followed him since he was at Winthrop. Even more bought in now though.

Last Thursday was the IHSAA coaches clinic and convention. Bill Self was scheduled to be the Keynote but had a last minute conflict and had to cancel. Coach Kelsey stepped in on short notice and man, he didn’t disappoint.

He spoke for about 50 without notes and was extremely impressive and polished. He’s an highly effective communicator and teacher; it’s clear why he’s been so successful everywhere he’s been. He’s not going to have any issues communicating his message and direction to players. In today’s world, that’s a major challenge for coaches.

He spent time on philosophy and style, and I don’t want to set unrealistic expectations here, but the attention to detail he shared reminded me a lot of a young Billy Donovan and to a degree, Rick.

It was interesting to hear his take on analytics and how they’ll be incorporated into what we do as a team. For those big on recruiting, understand he’s building a roster to a system. We’ll recruit high level talent, but it may not always look like what we’re used too. With that said, he’s going to win and win big. It’ll probably take a couple years to get it going though. Trust the process.

Probably the most encouraging though, I talked to 10-12 of the top 20 or so high school coaches in Indiana, and to a person, they all raved about him. Now I know most people believe the portal is the future and HS recruiting isn’t the same, but, Indy, and the state of Indiana produces tons of talent annually and the next 3-4 classes are stockpiled with talent. He’s getting in early with these coaches and it was a great first impression on guys that impact where these kids go.

Just wanted to share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News