ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Mack

The problem Mack had was some of the players quit on him and some didn’t like I said when it happened the players that quit on him also quit on their fan base. I agree though I thought Mack should have kicked everyone who quit off the team and just recruit different players. Mack’s problem we had that idiot Bendapudi who made things worse, remember the one so many fans thought she hung the moon. All along she was using us to get a better job and is now at Penn State to the regret of Penn State fans.

Mack shouldn’t have fired his assistants. He should’ve encouraged them to find other jobs. When he did decide to fire them he shouldn’t have decided that he was the HR person. He also should’ve recruited higher level guys.

Mack was a mediocre at best HC.
Going to disagree with you on mediocre, largely on what I saw him do at Xavier. Mack's problem is he has too much Westside Cincy in his DNA. Old school and unwilling to bend to AAU All-Stars. He is better suited to athletes who put academics first.

I look for him to resurface at Butler or Xavier if/when Sean Miller leaves. Dayton is another possibility.

We lost a very good HC when Mack left, and Koz nailed it; President Neeli Bendapudi screwed Vince, Chris and UL by refusing to follow Tyra’s advice.

This University has been plagued by weak leadership ever since Ramsey was pushed out.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Going to disagree with you on mediocre, largely on what I saw him do at Xavier. Mack's problem is he has too much Westside Cincy in his DNA. Old school and unwilling to bend to AAU All-Stars. He is better suited to athletes who put academics first.

I look for him to resurface at Butler or Xavier if/when Sean Miller leaves. Dayton is another possibility.
I can dig it agree to disagree. You make some interesting points. I saw a guy fold as soon as the Pitino leftovers moved on and he won 0 NCAAT games but there was the COVID year. Just about every player regressed on his watch. His big recruiting class was a bust. Maybe it was just a bad fit and he will do better at a lower level.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
It’s fine to analyze decisions out of context, but you risk making an incorrect analysis…

Mack cut his losses. He was staring straight down the barrel of being fired with cause—and a zero buyout—had the NCAA returned a finding against him after the Gaudio debacle. And I have zero doubt that U of L would have cut him off at the knees given an opportunity. There would have been no reward for perseverance and loyalty.

It also became obvious to him that he was working in a dumpster fire. Better to get out fast and with something…

I've said this a dozen times. Mack got torpedoed by Neeli. She was not good for UofL in anyway.. She played herself up as little miss sunshine but she was really little miss black cloud. As bad as I hate to admit it, Zipp called that one early on..

If I put myself in Mack's shoes I don't blame him one bit for getting out of a toxic situation and taking some $$$$$$$ with him..

As much as I hate to admit it, CR and I agree 100% here. Very well said CR!

While I know there are disagreements between posters on a wide range of issues; I do hope that UL fans can agree on one thing, if nothing else ……… specifically the leadership at UL has failed this community and particularly the fans of this basketball program.

Whatever foolish and irresponsible acts that assistant coaches like McGee, Gaudio, and Johnson committed during their tenure, which led to these disastrous events; each one was exacerbated by the knee-jerk, rush to judgement decisions by UL Presidents and BoT members.

By staying out of coaching for as long as he has that is pretty telling. The basketball program has been off the rails for a while. I agree the leadership during his tenure was not aligned. Explains why the next hire didn’t have much interest. He is closely tied to Goodman which knows all the coaches. The words toxic has been thrown around by national folks.

It put a competitive and aggressive personality in a defensive mode. Any mistake he was going to be fired or suspended. Once he was suspended he knew he was on borrowed time. That is why he said he would fight the NCAA violation to his death. The only way out was winning which didn’t happen. At that point he knew he was done and had to negotiate a way out. It was best for both parties.

He will be back next year. Kind of surprised he didn’t jump at South Florida since they are moving down there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT