ADVERTISEMENT

Cards WBB vs Syracuse

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
No. 2 University of Louisville women's basketball returns from a one-game COVID pause to action when it hosts Syracuse on Thursday night. The game will tip off at 7 p.m. ET and is available on ACC Network Extra and 790-AM WKRD.

Tickets for Thursday's game are available and fans can enjoy $4 draft beer and $3 sodas. Faculty and staff can purchase discounted $4 tickets when using their UofL email address. All undergraduate students in attendance will receive a free Louisville athletics t-shirt.

What we don't know, as of Thursday morning, is whether everyone on the Cards roster is available for the game. It's a long shot to see the full roster on the bench and active for the game in such a quick turnaround. We also don't know which players will be on limited minutes as they are still on the recovery process.

We don't know a whole lot about Syracuse either. Their roster is made up of mostly new faces for the Orange and a brand new coach. They are a much different team than we've seen in the past. The Orange are 8-7 on the year and 1-4 in conference play. They dropped 116 on Central Connecticut State and have won five games by 30 or more points as well as beating a ranked Ohio State team by six. They also have some really bad losses with four losses being by 20 or more points. Inconsistency has been their theme. A conference opening win over Clemson was followed by losses to UNC and Boston College on the road and Duke at home. Syracuse also hasn't been going deep in the roster, with only eight players seeing the court against UNC and BC, and just seven against Duke .

Syracuse does have a fairly potent offense, averaging 76.1 points per game, second in the ACC. But, they also rank last in the conference in points allowed per game at 69.0. They average a lot of steals (10.9), shoot well from three (8.2 made three-pointers per game), and have been quite accurate from the free throw line (78.6 percent). This one certainly has the ear-marks of a "quick pace, up-and-down-the-court track meet'.

Sister, sister? The Orange picked up sisters Christianna and Chrislyn Carr through the transfer portal. "Anna" spent three seasons at Kansas State, "Lyn" started at Texas Tech and then spent a season at Baylor.

Let's hope the Cards are not feeling the post-virus effects too much and can improve to 14-1 and 4-0 in the ACC. Louisville and NC State are the two remaining undefeated schools in conference play.

--sonja--

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
Can’t watch the game I can only watch the score how come this game is close?
Because Syracuse has whatever NC State had last night. They're shooting the lights out. 58 percent and 60 percent from 3. They are making the Cards top defense look like the worst.

Teams love to shoot at the Yum.

I hope we pull this one out I would hate to lose this one. Like I said I can’t watch the game is our defense slacking off?

Emily!!! YESSSSSSS!!! Great win!!! Great TEAM win!!! These ladies play with effort and heart!!!

I couldn’t watch the game I kept up with the score on my phone. That really stinks when you keep up with the whole game just by watching the score change and time on your phone. I did see hi lights on the ACC network and they will have more on Nothing But Net on the ACC network after the FSU vs GaTech game. By looking at the box scores it looked like HVL and K. Smith lit it up.
It also looked like a good balance of scoring by the team. The talking heads on the ACC Network said that Syracuse had a good game plan on attacking our smaller guards. I hope CJW is paying attention because our other opponents will use that as a blueprint to attack us. Coach needs to have a backup plan ready and start practicing for that just in case that happens.

Lot of covid rust of this team's defense and I am glad it was this game. Boston College could be a lot tougher but I think the Cards will be very ready for that game.

SU shot very well. Our defense wasn’t the best tonight. What I really noticed was how quick SU was with the ball. The blew past our defenders multiple times. Props to SU for how well they played.

Syracuse wouldn't go away. It wasn't until our 9-1 run late that wee finally shook free of them. And, they only played six players. I think we had a bit of COVID fatigue and rust, not in our normal practice procedure. Still. Hailey and Kianna saved the day.

-sonja-

Reactions: Cap'n Jim
They sure were feisty. Very entertaining evening at the Yum Center. Really liked the efficiency and big time-ness of Kianna and Hailey!

Very impressed with Syracuse offensively, they knew how to attack us and knocked down shots. We missed Ahlana's quickness on defense, demonstrates what an advantage depth is for Coach. We get into a game like last night and Coach always has options on the bench to counter what is happening in game.

Had me a little nervous but they dropped the hammer when they needed too!
Don’t understand why The CUSE has such a bad record, they looked pretty good. Or maybe it was just an off night for us.

I've had to watch the last three games on ESPN replay. All three games the feed just hung up about every five minutes or so. I had to close the game and toggle back through the menu to find it and it would start where it left off. Has anyone else had that experience? It only happen on the ESPN app on my Roku not with any other channels. It was a damn nice win BTW.

I couldn’t watch the game I kept up with the score on my phone. That really stinks when you keep up with the whole game just by watching the score change and time on your phone. I did see hi lights on the ACC network and they will have more on Nothing But Net on the ACC network after the FSU vs GaTech game. By looking at the box scores it looked like HVL and K. Smith lit it up.
It also looked like a good balance of scoring by the team. The talking heads on the ACC Network said that Syracuse had a good game plan on attacking our smaller guards. I hope CJW is paying attention because our other opponents will use that as a blueprint to attack us. Coach needs to have a backup plan ready and start practicing for that just in case that happens.
I had to laugh Monday night attending the Coach Walz radio show, Assistant Coach Stephanie Norman was talking during the commercial break how this staff leaves no stone unturned when scouting opponents and putting the scouting report and game plan together and it was up to the team to execute it. I’m sure CJW is way ahead of you Kozmas.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I listened to the post game presser with HVL and Kiana Smith and they said one of the problems they had with Syracuse was they got the scouting report late. They were expecting to play Miami first so they had the scouting report for Miami ahead of time but the report for Syracuse came later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT