ADVERTISEMENT

Can the Seminoles buy their way out of the ACC?

Jurich had no reason to be gracious when he left. I wouldn't have been either. He was fired for cause and all contractual compensation withheld.

Reportedly, U of L did everything possible to dig up dirt on him initially when he was fired. That may not be any different than another former employer would do, but it doesn't inspire gratitude or well wishes.

And only when U of L was facing a loss in court did they relent and pay him. It wasn't because they had a sudden change of heart. To my knowledge, no apology was offered.

Denny Crum left basketball with the U of L program in serious decline. He accepted a "job" paying him almost as much as he made while coaching here full time. I doubt seriously he could have made that much money anywhere else in 2001.

Crum's and Jurich's situations are in no way comparable except that neither guy wanted to leave his position...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859 and gocds
Jurich had no reason to be gracious when he left. I wouldn't have been either. He was fired for cause and all contractual compensation withheld.

Reportedly, U of L did everything possible to dig up dirt on him initially when he was fired. That may not be any different than another former employer would do, but it doesn't inspire gratitude or well wishes.

And only when U of L was facing a loss in court did they relent and pay him. It wasn't because they had a sudden change or heart. To my knowledge, no apology was offered.

Denny Crum left basketball with the U of L program in serious decline. He accepted a "job" paying him almost as much as he made while coaching here full time. I doubt seriously he could have made that much money anywhere else in 2001.

Crum's and Jurich's situations are in no way comparable except that neither guy wanted to leave his position...
You and I disagree on if TJ needed to go, but I agree the handling was poor and wrong.

They could’ve told Tom that he would have to be suspended with pay. If they wanted him to go, then they could’ve had a negotiated exit and had him leave amicably. Instead they told him to leave and never come back. They disregarded all he did to help the program over the years. Then tried to find dirt on him after the fact.

I think with all that happened with the scandals, it was time for some change. And I know many don’t share that view and I respect that opinion. But to just throw him out with no respect was terrible.

They could’ve had him leave and treated him with a much higher level respect. They could’ve let him at least announce he was retiring and that he could leave on his own terms, get paid, and be honored. That’s what you do in that situation.

Jurich has only created division since for he left. You can say he could have made life easier for his predecessors but choose to be bitter. His choice but if he loved the the University like he says then why has he dug his heals in? Denny Crum could have chosen the same path. He took the high road because the University success was never about Denny even though it was. That just isn’t Jurich mentality which is fine.

When any organization has internal division success is very difficult to achieve. It is a shame, hopefully the University and Athletics are on the same page. Ramsey and Jurich were always on the same page that is what allowed them to be successful. You could say the same with Olson/Denny/University.
I respectfully disagree with your negative comments about Tpm Jurich. He wasn't perfect but you'll have one helluva time convincing me or thousands of other UofL fans that TJ wasn't a MAJOR outstanding AD at UofL and that he is missed.. Period.

GO CARDS!!!

Jurich has only created division since for he left. You can say he could have made life easier for his predecessors but choose to be bitter. His choice but if he loved the the University like he says then why has he dug his heals in? Denny Crum could have chosen the same path. He took the high road because the University success was never about Denny even though it was. That just isn’t Jurich mentality which is fine.

When any organization has internal division success is very difficult to achieve. It is a shame, hopefully the University and Athletics are on the same page. Ramsey and Jurich were always on the same page that is what allowed them to be successful. You could say the same with Olson/Denny/University.
Well the division has been fueled by the failure of the successors.

I think everyone would’ve united behind Vince Tyra had Chris Mack been a huge success. Then had Scott been a tad better and not interviewed with SC too. Mainly the Chris Mack era being better could’ve really made things happier. If our main legacy program would’ve been on top again with Mack, I think everything would’ve been happier in Cards land. I think that Mack’s era failing led to more pressure on Scott Satterfield to perform too.

I think everything has just been crazy. The day the FBI scandal happened, everything went crazy and hasn’t recovered.

We were on a crazy high from 2012-2017. The 2013 basketball title. College World Series. Women’s Final Four. The move to the ACC. The Sugar Bowl. And in that last academic year, Lamar and Donovan Mitchell were on campus.

We went from such a high to an extreme low. I think even Zipp would agree that had the people replacing the old guard been successful, everyone would be on board. We’re divided due to failure.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp

I’m not aware of any division Tom has created since his departure. Being fired for no reason, suffering a ham-fisted smear campaign, and being vindicated with “retirement” and a payout would tend to make one bitter, though.

Again, Ramsey, Jurich, Pitino, and Petrino were never close friends of mine. My respect and regards come totally from their accomplishments.

And no one is irreplaceable, even Jurich. That guy didn’t have that many great years left anyway. That’s not the central issue.

It’s not whether any of them should be gone. It’s HOW it was done in each case… With absolutely no concern about the consequences.

These cats apparently never heard of the term “damage control.” When you have an unexpected problem, your first concern should be recovery.

Not these guys, not when you can take a flamethrower and burn it to the ground. They were stupid enough to believe they could survive a total rebuild if needed: new fans, new coach, new donors, new money. As long as they had Pied Pipers like Tyra, Mack, and Satterfield, no problem.

Either they were completely nuts, or this was the plan all along. Recall it was pretty early on when we also heard the slogan “deemphasize athletics”.

Doesn’t matter at this point, and I didn’t have to be anyone’s friend to understand what went down. Not when gross incompetence is enough of an explanation…

I’m not aware of any division Tom has created since his departure. Being fired for no reason, suffering a ham-fisted smear campaign, and being vindicated with “retirement” and a payout would tend to make one bitter, though.
Jurich could have absolutely could brought people together. He was a master at that. I agree he had no obligation to do so, his choice which is fine. Who on here doesn’t believe people would have united if Jurich came out with 100 percent of Josh Heird instead of trying to get job. Jurich wasn’t getting the job what was the point of that organized campaign? My opinion it was done to undermine Josh and continue to create division. It worked.

I agree have to move on just wanted to explain my previous post.

Jurich could have absolutely could brought people together. He was a master at that. I agree he had no obligation to do so, his choice which is fine. Who on here doesn’t believe people would have united if Jurich came out with 100 percent of Josh Heird instead of trying to get job. Jurich wasn’t getting the job what was the point of that organized campaign? My opinion it was done to undermine Josh and continue to create division. It worked.

Well ok then.

GO CARDS!!!

Josh Heird was a pig-in-a-poke hire like his predecessor was. No meaningful experience, no strengths in what U of L most needed, nothing but an "administrator" to maintain the status quo.

One thing Jurich is not is stupid. He likely didn't think Heird was gonna be any more successful than I do. No one knows this particular AD job better and how to do it than Jurich.

By "bringing people together," you're asking for someone to wave his pom poms. I see people doing that for Kenny Payne; I wonder how well that's gonna work? More than pom poms are needed...

Reactions: gocds
MJosh Heird was a pig-in-a-poke hire like his predecessor was. No meaningful experience, no strengths in what U of L most needed, nothing but an "administrator" to maintain the status quo.

One thing Jurich is not is stupid. He likely didn't think Heird was gonna be any more successful than I do. No one knows this particular AD job better and how to do it than Jurich.

By "bringing people together," you're asking for someone to wave his pom poms. I see people doing that for Kenny Payne; I wonder how well that's gonna work? More than pom poms are needed...
I personally like Kenny Payne but if his first year as a head coach was a true indicator then UofL (us as fans) are in deep doo-doo. I'm not even convinced that he can recruit and that is the bloodline of a college athletics team. Maybe the old adage of "nice guys finish last" is appropriate in this situation. :(

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT