ADVERTISEMENT

FSU loses first round

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
FSU lost the first round in their efforts to leave the ACC. Judge ruled if they want to leave before 2036 they have to pay $500 million in GOR. I am sure they will appeal but it sure is a big loss for them and any other team that was hoping to leave.

The courts will have a tough time ruling in favor of FSU and Clemson, knowing they both signed the agreement they now want to renege on. Most believe FSU though they could negotiate a release, but I do not see the majority members willing to compromise anything.

If they leave they would each owe $500 million I say give them a discount and then kick them out.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I believe both schools knew this was a long shot from the start, but are so motivated to leave the ACC, they made the decision to pursue this legal remedy in hopes of negotiating the exit fee to a more reasonable level.

Here is where I believe the other members may very well refuse to compromise on any reduced settlement fee, as the consequences of losing both schools could jeopardize the ACC losing its Power 5 Conference status.

• Wow
Just where do these two think they can land where appearing in the conference championship is almost automatic and have a chance at the playoffs? The move would be more about conference money than having a stellar winning record.

Just where do these two think they can land where appearing in the conference championship is almost automatic and have a chance at the playoffs? The move would be more about conference money than having a stellar winning record.
As long as the current model holds, winning doesn’t matter so much- just being in the right conference. That is not sustainable.

I believe it is entirely about the money; clearly Clemson, and now FSU must recognize that life in the ACC gave them the opportunity that otherwise they would never have obtained in any other power 5 Conference. UGA's beatdown on FSU should be a constant reminder of where they are in the big picture.

I agree if FSU would have played better against Georgia they would have had a better argument about them belonging in the playoffs. I don’t know where they think they are going because the SEC has said they aren’t interested in FSU. I guess they are hoping for the B1G but both schools might want to rethink their options. Money has to be the motivation for their thought process because making the playoffs would be a harder road.

Reactions: 2330859
Neither Clemson nor FSU is strong enough academically for the B1G. Also, with the 12 team playoff, it is likely that most years one or both will get in if they stay out. It’s all about money, especially for FSU who has financial problems.

The differences between the ACC financial distribution to its member institutions and what the SEC and BIG distributes to their members is so significant, that alone could explain their motivation. For FSU, its also a weak excuse to blame the ACC for the manner in which they were dismissed so quickly from the National Championship consideration.

While I am not sure this is a fair argument, it is the one argument that has long been popular inside the SEC, BIG and with the National Media .............. specifically, if FSU or Clemson had to play the SEC football schedule, neither one would likely qualify for a Conference Championship. I am not sure that same argument would apply as much to the BIG, but clearly the ACC has done little to raise its own performance level.

One last thought ..... it is not beyond the realm of possibility that ESPN would encourage either the SEC or the BIG to offer one or both (FSU & Clemson) into those two expanding Power Conferences as a way to force the ACC to merge with the B12 remnant, and reducing the required TV revenue they need to pay out.

• Wow
The differences between the ACC financial distribution to its member institutions and what the SEC and BIG distributes to their members is so significant, that alone could explain their motivation. For FSU, its also a weak excuse to blame the ACC for the manner in which they were dismissed so quickly from the National Championship consideration.

While I am not sure this is a fair argument, it is the one argument that has long been popular inside the SEC, BIG and with the National Media .............. specifically, if FSU or Clemson had to play the SEC football schedule, neither one would likely qualify for a Conference Championship. I am not sure that same argument would apply as much to the BIG, but clearly the ACC has done little to raise its own performance level.

One last thought ..... it is not beyond the realm of possibility that ESPN would encourage either the SEC or the BIG to offer one or both (FSU & Clemson) into those two expanding Power Conferences as a way to force the ACC to merge with the B12 remnant, and reducing the required TV revenue they need to pay out.
ESPN doesn’t control all of CFB. Fox and the other networks are out there too.

True, but it’s ESPN that is behind much of the SEC aggressive expansion. I believe they recognize the fan interest translating into TV revenue well beyond the rest of the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT