ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm's First Game Thoughts

Beagle11

6000+
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2006
Can't wait until kickoff tomorrow! Just thought I would drop a few thoughts here on Jeff and his first game as a head coach. Having played with both Jeff and Greg in high school, I was impressed with their intellect, humility, and composure. They say that deferring immediate gratification for monger-term success says a lot about Jeff's situation here. Watching the expectation pressures and the hype in the build up to the season, I think is showed a great deal of wisdom and forethought staying at Purdue when Bobby was fired.

If Jeff just had a couple of good years under his belt, instead of a track record of winning and a Big 10 title game, would he have been able to do what he did in the portal in the off season? Likely not. Would we be looking for bowl legibility in year one instead of the possibility of a playoff spot? Likely. Would his initial performance be hampered by having to repair the cultural damage Bobby left for Satterfield, leaving a questionable perception of Jeff's abilities as a head coach? Likely.

I have no idea what will happen this year, but I think we have a far better chance of doing well and Jeff establishing himself as a sought-after coach after season one when timing is the most important factor with realignment happening quickly. Jeff seems to be far better positioned to take the program to the next level having stayed at Purdue when we first came calling. As much as Satterfield drove me crazy at times. he did a lot of the yeoman's work that enabled Jeff to hit the ground at a good jog (if maybe not running), and show his capabilities on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News