ADVERTISEMENT

Bowling Green

Bardman

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Great game today. Thought we were going to come up short. One of those games where you hit the ball; but…right at the other team. Pitching was great today - for both teams. Thought our guys were a bit impatient; but, they came through.

Reactions: 2330859 and earsky
Game took less than two hours. Unbelievable! Both pitchers throwing strikes and both teams hitting the ball right at people. The wind blowing in from left field knocked down a lot of fly balls. A good strike zone for a change.

A total outlier. Won't see it again this season.

I think we would've lost this game a few years ago, maybe that Xavier game too.
Couple of guys doing things at the plate yesterday that they normally don't do,but I'll give credit to the Bowling Green pitcher.Definitely a lot of balls being hit right at people.

Reactions: gocds and 2330859
Not a single base on balls, or hit batter for either pitching staff. I am not sure if that has ever happened here before, but it speaks loud about the quality of pitching.

Reactions: earsky
No Beard starting today. Smith at 2nd,Anderson at 3rd, Payton dhing
Vierling catching

McDonnell sacrificed this loss today with his multiple lineup approach. He's treated these early game as spring training games. Positions are still up for grabs.

Reactions: Bardman
BGSU baseball IQ, coaching and Senior execution was the difference. Conversely, the throwing errors, Base on Balls and base running mistakes made us look ill prepared for ACC competition.

Speed is only effective when it is disciplined ……

These games are being used like spring training. Upsets are everywhere because this is what top programs do when they reload. Today, the offense was disjointed but could have been enough if not for the base running errors.

As for pitching, Philips really let the team down today. He needs to go 5 or 6 innings against BG. We got a good one in Biven. He may get a shot at starting.

The bullpen is going to have hits and misses early so the offense needs to outscore these weaker opponents. That hasn't happened in this series yet as only a handful have won a starting spot in the lineup.

I think ultimately the starters will be

1B McCoy
2B Beard
3B Anderson
SS Knapp
C Payton
OF King
OF Hawkins
OF Humphrey
DH platoon L/R

Pitchers have to throw strikes - period. Not sold on Hawkins - wish I was. I like how Mangrum is playing.

Cards take care of business today. Forbes and Beard hit some of the hardest balls ive seen in a while

Reactions: Deeva
Did anyone hear who is starting Tuesday? Thought I heard CDM say something about Amburgey - wasn’t sure what.

One more game before Houston. Not sure if anyone got to see Biven on Saturday pitching 4 shutout innings, then get his turn pinch hitting for a single yesterday. Forbes gets 3 hits in a starting dh role. That's (2) two way players shining on consecutive days. This Freshman class is outstanding and I love the way Mac is working them in for some time,even if it's limited. I'd like to see him give Lippe a few swings as well.

The future is bright 🌞

Btw,I was wondering if anybody knew whether or not Calise is still with the program. Injured in the Fall, he's not on the roster. Didn't know if he transferred or is taking a medical redshirt. Another good looking ball player.

Reactions: 2330859
I was there Saturday, and believe the base running errors may have cost us that one loss; real momentum killer. Yes, Bevin was most effective.

Interesting observation; seems like the hitters on both sides made better contact with pitches at the higher velocity (90-94), while the mid 80 velocity appeared to be more troublesome for the hitters. Aside from the one mental error by Farone, he is going to be difficult to beat with his command of the strike zone.

Hopefully Tate is ready to go next weekend. If he is needed out of the pen and can be effective it will be a huge boost to the staff.

Pitchers have to throw strikes - period. Not sold on Hawkins - wish I was. I like how Mangrum is playing.
Don't sleep on JT Benson. Finally healthy and showed he wanted to earn more playing time while he was out there yesterday. Not sure if McD was super-happy with him stealing 3B up 11-1 as there was a brief shot of them interacting after he scored. That said, McD has always said he'd like 'em too aggressive to start with as it is easier to back them down from there than it is to "jack them up" if they are passive.

Humphries will get the benefit of the doubt and plenty of rope but he has to feel some pressure with the outburst yesterday with him out of the lineup. I'm sure he will be in there TUE as this was likely just a day off to keep him from pressing.

Humphries will get the benefit of the doubt and plenty of rope but he has to feel some pressure with the outburst yesterday with him out of the lineup. I'm sure he will be in there TUE as this was likely just a day off to keep him from pressing.
He got one like Beard got one. Just have fun and the rest will take care of itself. Logan responded well. Needless to say, those two guys playing well are key pieces to any kind of run. Mac not waiting till May to push the buttons- too much talent waiting for a chance.

Reactions: 2330859
I talked to a very prominent Card Administrator last night who told me that CDM shared with him that, ”this UL baseball roster may have the most talent and greatest potential offensively and defensively that he has ever had at UL”.

I did not push beyond his volunteering that exchange, but I interpreted that his only concern about this season was our pitching.

I know it is early, but does anyone on this site feel that CDM’s comments are legitimate?

I know it is early, but does anyone on this site feel that CDM’s comments are legitimate?
I think I've said it somewhere before,but there are several guys waiting for their chance that could be at another P5 school playing. It's a nice problem to have.

I can’t disagree. There is quality depth in the outfield and the infield. Pitching - time will tell.

I'd expect him to get an inning on TUE if he's fully healthy. Don't want 1st appearance of the season to be in Minute Maid even though he's a veteran.
Good call. He looked pretty good. He took that bee bee first pitch off his body somewhere and I think we all held our breath.

Reactions: jpa2825
I think the depth is there but the experience and proven track record is still a ? Beauty of depth is if some potentially talented offensive performers are struggling, you have options to turn to. Of course, you have to keep all those "hungry mouths" fed with ABs and innings in the field. By the middle of the ACC schedule, you will have a pretty good handle on capabilities on the field. Those who perform will get more opportunities.

As was the case last year, dangerous 1-9 can really wear on opposing pitchers because you never catch your breath. A lineup with "thumpers" 1-5 and a few "slappies" 6-9 allows you to focus your attention and avoid big rallies.

Should be fun to watch.

Reactions: Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT