ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Miller strikes out Shohei Ohtani

Got to know Bobby's Dad pretty good over the two and a half seasons here. That's because he never missed a game.
He drove in every weekend and stayed at the B&B across the street from Patterson.
He hung on every pitch then,and it looks like he still does. Happy for the Miller family.

Got to know Bobby's Dad pretty good over the two and a half seasons here. That's because he never missed a game.
He drove in every weekend and stayed at the B&B across the street from Patterson.
He hung on every pitch then,and it looks like he still does. Happy for the Miller family.
I will always wonder what could have been with that 2020 season

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
I hear ya! Pirates aren’t going to be a contender anytime soon!
I read something somewhere that the Pirates are hoping to be competitive by 2023. It was an article about HD,so look for him to be in a Pirate uniform next season,if not late this year. He's returning from an oblique injury I believe.

Reactions: bigloucards
I hear ya! Pirates aren’t going to be a contender anytime soon!
I don’t think they ever will be, at least not under this owner. It’s a constant cycle of adding to the farm system and selling them before it’s time to pay them. That franchise is only concerned with revenue sharing, they don’t care about winning. They’ve had a lot of talent come up through their organization in the past decade or so but have done absolutely nothing with it besides trade it. It’s probably the most pathetic franchise in pro sports.

That a good point!
The last time they were a contender was when they had Bonds(pre-roids), Bonilla, Van Slyke, and Drabeck

I don’t think they ever will be, at least not under this owner. It’s a constant cycle of adding to the farm system and selling them before it’s time to pay them. That franchise is only concerned with revenue sharing, they don’t care about winning. They’ve had a lot of talent come up through their organization in the past decade or so but have done absolutely nothing with it besides trade it. It’s probably the most pathetic franchise in pro sports.
Well, if you’re disillusioned with the Pirates, try being an Orioles fan. I have been one since 1966. We haven’t fielded a competitive team in years. We have made countless bad decisions (think Albert Belle and Chris Davis). Davis is no longer playing but is still the highest paid Oriole. I used to take an annual trip to Camden Yards but no more. Not until the Angelos sell or die. We have wasted so much talent, we are every team’s development system.

Well, if you’re disillusioned with the Pirates, try being an Orioles fan. I have been one since 1966. We haven’t fielded a competitive team in years. We have made countless bad decisions (think Albert Belle and Chris Davis). Davis is no longer playing but is still the highest paid Oriole. I used to take an annual trip to Camden Yards but no more. Not until the Angelos sell or die. We have wasted so much talent, we are every team’s development system.
I looked it up and the Orioles only have a $35 million dollar payroll which is last in the league, Pirates are just a tad over that. I’m a Reds fan so not as bad as that but still we suffer. I understand being pissed off at owners completely, I dislike the Castellini’s a lot. I just have witnessed the Pirates sucking for so long and their fans deserve better. MLB is just not balanced at all for small market teams with the way that the NY/LA teams can just shell out fortunes. I’m really surprised those teams don’t win it more often than they do. With the way that it’s set up with the revenue sharing teams don’t have to field competitive teams to make money and several take advantage of that. That’s what the Pirates do every single year. They should make you pay a certain amount of payroll to get certain amounts of the revenue or something like that. There is no reason for some teams payrolls to be 10x more than others. I think the NBA handles things like these the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan
I think the way MLB has lost popularity it should lead to less teams. There's just too many teams for the kind of talent needed to compete for a World Series.

Why do organizations like the Pirates, Orioles, Marlins, Rockies, Royals, and the Indians even try when they can't afford their talent? Others like the Mariners, Padres, Rangers, and Tigers only recently have tried to spend money to find a way to the post season.

The Reds tried this but it didn't work so they had to trade away their best players.

The game unfortunately is really struggling financially compared to the NFL and NBA and there will be a reckoning of some sort sooner than later.

Reactions: Bardman
I think the way MLB has lost popularity it should lead to less teams. There's just too many teams for the kind of talent needed to compete for a World Series.

Why do organizations like the Pirates, Orioles, Marlins, Rockies, Royals, and the Indians even try when they can't afford their talent? Others like the Mariners, Padres, Rangers, and Tigers only recently have tried to spend money to find a way to the post season.

The Reds tried this but it didn't work so they had to trade away their best players.

The game unfortunately is really struggling financially compared to the NFL and NBA and there will be a reckoning of some sort sooner than later.
Baseball is still the cheapest sport entertainment for the family..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT