ADVERTISEMENT

Blackshear comments / Crawford article

To ever make an NBA roster he's going to have to be a spot up shooter. Not nearly good enough athlete or have the handles to attack off the bounce in the NBA. He had 4 years and countless chances to show what he had. I'm thankful for his time at UofL and wish him nothing but the best going forward.

To ever make an NBA roster he's going to have to be a spot up shooter. Not nearly good enough athlete or have the handles to attack off the bounce in the NBA. He had 4 years and countless chances to show what he had. I'm thankful for his time at UofL and wish him nothing but the best going forward.
Agree with all Cardfan has posted. I would also note the comments attributed to WB are coming from a newspaper writer (not crawford). We don't know the context or even if the statement is accurate. WB gave us 4 good years and went out with awesome performance.

I think/hope Blackshear was simply in a "sell yourself" mode trying to get a chance in the NBA. This may have been an unfortunate time when he was trying to explain his lack of college production in an attempt to appear to have "more to offer" to a prospective NBA team. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on his unfortunate words.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I really don't see much of a problem with what he said. He admitted to playing team basketball, and not "me" basketball. I'm good with that.

I'll always appreciate Blackshear's time playing as a UofL Cardinal. Whatever he may have said or not said here won't change that. I do recall CRP repeatedly saying over the years that he wanted Wayne to be more aggressive and drive more and be less of a spot up shooter though.

I've heard more on this subject than I've read... It sounds like the issue is who decided what role Wayne should have? He's trying to make it sound like he was forced into that role by Pitino. Of course, we know better.

Wayne's trying to over-sell himself obviously. But he needs to be careful to not throw Pitino under the bus in the process. Wayne ended up where he personally led himself. He needs to own that...

Is there another player given more opportunities and encouragement to shine at U of L under RP than Wayne? Crawford's article has quotes from RP encouraging him to drive more. Everyone felt that way. I love Wayne and what he did and accomplished at U of L, but I'm not buying his comments. As Crawford point out, it wasn't "the system" that caused him to miss the game winner at UNC this year or the first of two free throws late in the 2014 UK NCAA game.

Nor was it the system that caused Wayne to foul out and get into foul trouble as often as he did. Wayne wound up being a great player towards the end of his senior year, because he finally figured it out. But the only thing stopping Wayne was a) injuries and then b) himself.

Reactions: Mayoman
He was a McDonalds All American that stayed in school all four years. Definite proof that CRP does not believe in ONE and DONE

So do you believe that every McD's AA is a one and done player?
Did you know about Wayne's shoulder injury before coming to UofL and subsequent 2nd injury to his shoulder? Do you still believe he was ready to declare himself a OAD without recovering from his injuries?
Are you just clueless or ?????? You got OADitis????? which I hear there is no cure for. Oh, the shame of it all.

I feel like WB's comments are closer to the reality than not.

What's he supposed to do steal the ball from a teammate?

Russ and Pepe had the ball in their hands quite a bit they created action and WB was left out. Jones came in and pounded the dribble and Terry got a bit trigger happy at times too.

He sat a great deal behind Luke his minutes were not steady his Jr year. Luke was allowed to play despite some poor shot selection and defensive lapses but WB did not receive the same treatment. Maybe he didn't earn it in practice.

The offense didn't go through him we had a couple guys last year that shot too much. One guy got booted and it's no coincidence Wayne finally got it going at that time.

Even in his final game he was carrying us late and we had a player go a bit rogue playing hero ball when WB should have been the go to guy.

He was a great representative of our team so I don't mind his comments at all.

Wayne was a McD AA but he was ranked #36 in the class, hardly high enough to be a OAD player. Honestly I think. The majority of the class besides Davis, Beal, and MCW has pretty much been a bust.

Wayne showed flashes against UK in the final 4 game his freshman year and never really reached his potential. I think the injuries hurt him and he never seemed to lose the weight to get back his athletic ability. I wish last year he could have played along side Luke.

I wish last year he could have played along side Luke.

Agreed. Would have loved to see us not invest in Chris Jones and trot out Russ/Wayne/Luke.... That would have been a lot of fun. Let Rozier come in as 1st G off bench to help @ the point.

Oh well.

Which jones wasn't a bad player, but I just always hated why it had to be either Wayne or Luke. But honestly if we hit free throws against UK that year I think we win back to back titles, so really had to look back and complain about anything.

Agreed. Would have loved to see us not invest in Chris Jones and trot out Russ/Wayne/Luke.... That would have been a lot of fun. Let Rozier come in as 1st G off bench to help @ the point.

Oh well.
UL was a better team without Chris Jones. Wayne was not option 1 or 2 in the offense. He got his chnace when Chris left the team.Its easy to sit here a say what should have been. Only the coach knows the reason for not playing a player the way the player think he should be played.

UL was a better team without Chris Jones. Wayne was not option 1 or 2 in the offense. He got his chnace when Chris left the team.Its easy to sit here a say what should have been. Only the coach knows the reason for not playing a player the way the player think he should be played.

I understand the coach wanted a great defender and Jones certainly was just that.

The thread is about WB's comments on what should have been, or what it was - in his eyes. Considering he completed his four years and was a good soldier throughout - I feel his opinions should be considered.

We already knew Pitino's opinion because we watched the games and saw how the minutes were divided out. College players don't typically have a forum to share their opinions but now that WB is gone I think it's fair to hear what he has to say.

Crawford calls WB out for revisionist theory - as if WB had an option to go public with his opinions while he was here. Sure thing Crawford.

Reactions: coach1983
Beside Preston Knowles Jones is probably the best on ball defender we've had at uofl which is what Pitino wanted. He was also a bit of a gunner too

The problem is since wayne been here we've been absolutely loaded at the guard positions. If anything he should have taken advantage of not having to be a primary ball handler and focus more on being a slasher. He was a prototypical nba shooting guard, he just didn't develope.

His junior season he was just flat out missing in action. Has all the talent in the world but he just seemed to lack heart at times. But I will say this, if Danny Green can thrive in the league then wayne definitely can. His performance against uk in the final four really got everyone's hopes high on him including nba gm's.

* Siva..second round pick.
* Smith..second round pick. First team AA.
* Hancock..Final four MOP.
*Rozier.. First round pick.
*Kuric..Great shooter/athlete.
*Jones..Juco national POY.
*Henderson..Clutch shooter(witchita st game and season saver).
*Ware..Second best point guard and best on ball defender.

Reactions: earsky
The problem is since wayne been here we've been absolutely loaded at the guard positions. If anything he should have taken advantage of not having to be a primary ball handler and focus more on being a slasher. He was a prototypical nba shooting guard, he just didn't develope.

His junior season he was just flat out missing in action. Has all the talent in the world but he just seemed to lack heart at times. But I will say this, if Danny Green can thrive in the league then wayne definitely can. His performance against uk in the final four really got everyone's hopes high on him including nba gm's.

* Siva..second round pick.
* Smith..second round pick. First team AA.
* Hancock..Final four MOP.
*Rozier.. First round pick.
*Kuric..Great shooter/athlete.
*Jones..Juco national POY.
*Henderson..Clutch shooter(witchita st game and season saver).
*Ware..Second best point guard and best on ball defender.

Yeah,lots of guards.I don't think it's over,don't think he's giving up either.I like him enough to say he still could get there,by becoming Ray Allen or becoming the slasher I saw out of Chicago.Either of those 2 scenarios will fall on him though.He was a good soldier too.

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that Wayne Blackshear has earned the benefit of the doubt. I can't help but think the reporter baited him into these responses and they were quoted out of context. That's their job ... create something out of nothing. What was he supposed to say? I didn't shine because I'm injury prone. I didn't shine because Siva, Russ, Luke, Dieng, Rozier, and Harrell were better players. I didn't shine because I was always in foul trouble. When a hometown reporter asks, "what happened after high school", you say something to protect your image.

I'd be surprised if Wayne doesn't regret saying this, and I'm sure Pitino was very disappointed to read this quote. If Wayne had the ability, Pitino would have made him a major part of the offense - Garcia and Williams are proof of that. Pitino is not afraid to run his offense through a gifted small forward. The thing is, Wayne just didn't have the competitiveness to turn into a great player. I think he has the ability, but he lacks the fire. Like Zipp said, his personality is what prevented him from expanding his game and taking on a bigger role. Time to stop blaming others and take some responsibility for your actions. Wayne is a grown ass man, he should know this by now.

If this thread has taught me anything, it's that Wayne Blackshear has earned the benefit of the doubt. I can't help but think the reporter baited him into these responses and they were quoted out of context. That's their job ... create something out of nothing. What was he supposed to say? I didn't shine because I'm injury prone. I didn't shine because Siva, Russ, Luke, Dieng, Rozier, and Harrell were better players. I didn't shine because I was always in foul trouble. When a hometown reporter asks, "what happened after high school", you say something to protect your image.

I'd be surprised if Wayne doesn't regret saying this, and I'm sure Pitino was very disappointed to read this quote. If Wayne had the ability, Pitino would have made him a major part of the offense - Garcia and Williams are proof of that. Pitino is not afraid to run his offense through a gifted small forward. The thing is, Wayne just didn't have the competitiveness to turn into a great player. I think he has the ability, but he lacks the fire. Like Zipp said, his personality is what prevented him from expanding his game and taking on a bigger role. Time to stop blaming others and take some responsibility for your actions. Wayne is a grown ass man, he should know this by now.

I absolutely agree.

Yeah, he could have flipped his jersey inside out during the games and tried to steal it from Russ or Chris or Siva, or just never thrown it to Trez no matter how close to the rim Trez was. That probably would have gone over pretty well.

Maybe after Luke got beat defensively or took a bad shot he could have just subbed himself in no doubt Rick would have approved and rooted him on.

Luke earned his rope he shot us back into the title game and he hit big shots in the post season Jr/Sr seasons. He was pretty brutal for long stretches his Jr year but he got through it, and I think Rick admired that and rewarded him with the lion's share his Sr season and WB was the indirect casualty despite some sketchy shot selection and spotty D by Luke. There's plenty of blame to go around.

Speaking of revisionist theory....Let us not forget the Yum crowd was heard booing Luke early in his Jr season during one of the games after a missed FT he was struggling so bad and Russ had to urge the crowd to support Luke. It's not like it was always roses for Luke from day one.

I think when the fans turned on Luke that made it even easier for Rick to keep trotting him out there because Rick pretty much hates it when fans share opinions, especially if those opinions may go against what he thinks.

While it was no doubt horrible to hear the crowd boo Hancock, it's not like he got booed because he was doing great. Great play by a player for the home team doesn't cause the home fans to boo.

WB put the team on his back in a couple games he just never took the giant leap forward that his HS resume suggested. His SR year he had a couple shoot shoot shoot Gs to contend w/ and it wasn't until the guy that played with no joy that got relieved of his roster spot took a hike that WB salvaged his career in the post season.

The program had higher profile guys his entire career hard to argue with the team success during his time, even if it may have been coincidental.

Last edited:
As Crawford point out, it wasn't "the system" that caused him to miss the game winner at UNC this year or the first of two free throws late in the 2014 UK NCAA game.

The game winner at UNC was a good look that just didn't go. He took it w/o hesitation it just didn't work out.

If you check the tale of the tape in the game in question where he short armed the FT in March, you'll see a guy that was ice cold, he took the first shot of the 2nd half and didn't shoot again until the missed FT with 15 seconds left in the game. He didn't play much in the 2nd half @ all and got frozen out.

Luke was having a stout game for sure but WB hadn't touched the ball in like an hour and then he's all the sudden shooting FTs with the game on the line. Somebody should be blamed for that but I don't think it should be the disappointing Jr that had a forgettable entire Jr year and had no confidence in general.

The fact that WB was ice cold yet the ball was put in his hands with the season on the line with 20 seconds left in the game says more about Rick's inability to dial up a winning play and the team's low bball IQ than it does WB.

Yeah,lots of guards.I don't think it's over,don't think he's giving up either.I like him enough to say he still could get there,by becoming Ray Allen or becoming the slasher I saw out of Chicago.Either of those 2 scenarios will fall on him though.He was a good soldier too.

You think he can become Ray Allen? Do you mean the Ray Allen that is a 10-time All Star who is one of the best 3 point shooters in league history? o_O

If you want to be a great player, you have to take the bull by the horns. I'm not saying play selfishly, but play aggressively. Wayne never took risks. It may be the most defining statement about his game. Because he didn't take risks, he didn't reap the rewards. He can play the "woe is me" card about how he was afraid to get pulled for making a mistake, but that never stopped Russ, Peyton, Luke, Rozier, or Jones. They pushed the envelope, sometimes to a bad result. They also forced Pitino's hand by making themselves too valuable to take out of the game for long stretches. Wayne's production and lack of aggression was always replaceable during his 4 years here, and that's why he never turned into a star. I will never believe that Pitino held back Blackshear's game. Wayne held back Wayne's game - no one else. If Wayne were a first or second year player, I'd believe Pitino had him on a short leash. But we're talking about a guy who played 2,700 career minutes for UofL. If he didn't take the opportunity to show his "true game" in those 48 months and 2,700 minutes, that's no one's fault but his own.

Reactions: vegasville1
Wayne's production and lack of aggression was always replaceable during his 4 years here,

Just a crazy thing to say about a guy who scored 30 + in his final game with a trip to the FF on the line while having nose plugs from getting popped. The guy was puking @ the half and damn near willed the team to the FF while Trez was gassed and Terry was going rogue with his one on four flip shots hoping for a call he didn't get all year.

Chris Jones was clearly replaceable. So were Anton Gill and Shaq Aaron.

WB was a solid Card your statement above describes a guy that scored 3 ppg - he scored over 11 ppg playing alongside two NBA draft picks.

I have no problem with people being disappointed he didn't become a legend but I think some people's comments like the one made above are pretty much ridiculous.

We lose first round last year w/o him. Actually, we go to the NIT without him. Let's not go too far with the Wayne wasn't shit dialogue. He made an impact.

And yeah, if he got aggressive and didn't pass and/or demanded his shots then we could have added one more gun to a team that already had a few.

He was a part of one of our most successful eras of our program ever. It wasn't 100% coincidence. He just didn't reach star status. The guy started for our a title team and was one of only two SFs on the roster.

Last edited:
You could blame the program if they encouraged him to "beef up" his jr year. (I remember posts praising his "new" frame) Or the program could have taken his lack of commitment to fitness and tried to turn it into a positive for his confidence. Either way it was a huge mistake! Basketball is one of those sports where every pound counts.(Just ask RP) Guys that played as slashers won't do well as bangers and vice versa. At the end of the day his commitment to the game was on him. I doubt RP wanted a 6'6 pf playing sf.

FWIW, the guy is interviewing for a big time job and thought his comments were fine.

Just a crazy thing to say about a guy who scored 30 + in his final game with a trip to the FF on the line while having nose plugs from getting popped. The guy was puking @ the half and damn near willed the team to the FF while Trez was gassed and Terry was going rogue with his one on four flip shots hoping for a call he didn't get all year.

Chris Jones was clearly replaceable. So were Anton Gill and Shaq Aaron.

WB was a solid Card your statement above describes a guy that scored 3 ppg - he scored over 11 ppg playing alongside two NBA draft picks.

I have no problem with people being disappointed he didn't become a legend but I think some people's comments like the one made above are pretty much ridiculous.

We lose first round last year w/o him. Actually, we go to the NIT without him. Let's not go too far with the Wayne wasn't shit dialogue. He made an impact.

And yeah, if he got aggressive and didn't pass and/or demanded his shots then we could have added one more gun to a team that already had a few.

He was a part of one of our most successful eras of our program ever. It wasn't 100% coincidence. He just didn't reach star status. The guy started for our a title team and was one of only two SFs on the roster.
I like your perspective hopgood. I don't agree in this case, but I completely understand where you're coming from. My intention is not to ridicule a player who was a part of so much UofL success. My intent is to point out that Wayne never did anything to set himself apart from the average small forward. He was an average shooter. He was consistently in foul trouble. He was always hesitant with the ball in his hands. Those things are 100% in his control. He did perfectly fine while having a few kinks in his game. He was a very good player who contributed in a lot a ways that don't show up in the stat sheet. The problem I have, is that Wayne thinks someone else is to blame for him never becoming anything more than a very good player. That's on him. If he improves his conditioning and stays out of foul trouble, he stays on the court. If he's aggressive when he gets his touches, he gets more touches. And I don't mean he should shoot more - I mean he should create more. Pump fake, put pressure on the defense, penetrate, back down smaller guards, go get some offensive rebounds. Wayne just didn't do anything to stand out. That's on him.

Of course he had some great games that bucked the trend of mediocrity. And no one was happier than me to see him have his career game against Michigan St. I'm sure every UofL fan was wondering where has that been for 4 years. That sense of urgency that he played with during the tournament is exactly what was missing from his game. He didn't steal the ball from any teammates. He didn't take a bunch of bad shots. He just played aggressively and earned 12 trips to the charity stripe as a result.

Last edited:
He wasn't as good as he could have been, and he wasn't as bad as some people making him out to be either.

I get the frustration.

You think he can become Ray Allen? Do you mean the Ray Allen that is a 10-time All Star who is one of the best 3 point shooters in league history? o_O

No,not Ray Allen himself,but that type of player.Become a great 3 point shooter like Allen.

Yell Wayne it's on all you now
bottom line his stats are pretty telling consistent to his U of L carrer inconsistent blame yourself Wayne . Loved him as a player but it's time you own up to your game.
Date Opponent Result MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
Jul 16 at BKN W 74-71 3 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Jul 14 at POR W 79-75 5 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Jul 12 at MIL W 89-74 9 1-5 1-1 4-4 1 1 2 0 2 0 0 2 7
Jul 09 at BOS L 71-85 14 3-4 1-2 2-2 1 2 3 1 0 0 0 1 9
Jul 07 vs UTA L 70-72 10 1-5 0-2 0-0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 2 2
Jul 06 at PHI W 74-71 4 0-2 0-1 3-4 1 0 1 2 0 0 0 1 3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT