ADVERTISEMENT

Big man discussion…

Slaz_Swag

No-Ranking Prospect
Gold Member
Apr 17, 2023
I wanna preface this post by saying “YES I DO THINK WE NEED MORE DEPTH IN THE FRONTCOURT”. However…Its baffling to me how a big portion of the fan base was on board with giving a bag and starting spot to Quaintance, but kind of dismiss James Scott as just a project. Quaintance is 16 and never played a second of college basketball. At least James Scott has some experience at the college level, and physically and athletically you could argue similar tools. But people are down on Scott being able to make a leap in year 2 it seems. I would trust Scott with a year under Kelsey under his belt and another summer in a college weight room. Once again…Yes we need more depth in the front court. But I really like Scott’s potential, and I think fans could be sleeping on this kid.

From what I've heard, many fans aren't necessarily down on James Scott. They're getting antsy because the team needs more than one big. No one currently committed that is supposed to play this season is over 6ft6 which can be a problem. At the very least, there needs to be someone to back up, or start over, Scott in case of injury or foul trouble.

Most also want one or two PFs with some size to help out as well.

I don't think anybody is sleeping on anyone. It's a fact we need more bigs and we really need a splash recruit to keep the momentum going that CPFK has going. We need Osobor badly.. C'mon coach get it done.

Maybe I'm wrong but Kelseys connection to overseas recruits hasn't made it on staff yet? Possibly (probably) wrong on that.I'm guessing we may be looking at July or August rounding out the big men if he doesn't sign a college transfer

Last edited:
Reactions: Slaz_Swag
Give PK some time; he has accomplished a great deal in a very brief time period. This may be one of those situations where we find a quality BIG, but not before we are well into the summer, as this Transfer Portal can and will produce some surprises.

Give PK some time; he has accomplished a great deal in a very brief time period. This may be one of those situations where we find a quality BIG, but not before we are well into the summer, as this Transfer Portal can and will produce some surprises.
Nobody doubting CPFK. It's portal season, it's a great topic of conversation. However, a good big would go a long ways to solidifying our lineup so let's go get one and go into the summer with momentum..

I think it's legit to be concerned at this point.

I believe Kelsey said he expected to have most of his team committed by first week of May. If he did say this, he was about 3/5 right. We're obviously still lacking in big men at PF/C.

Here's my question. If our NIL, unlimited playing time, and Derby visits didn't convince anyone, what will?

I'm still hopeful he'll sign some good front court players, but it just seems like the momentum Kelsey had going has fizzled out. We haven't had a signing in weeks. Maybe our NIL package isn't good enough to compete for top players? (Okay that's two questions.)

No need to panic.

I like the freshman coming in the weekend as a PF. Land him. It is a good piece that you can either over recruit or supplement with another skilled wing.

Hawkins is clearly the best big and would fit Kelsey system. Even if you miss him they will find someone to set picks, and rebound.

It is a guards game anyway.

I think it's legit to be concerned at this point.

I believe Kelsey said he expected to have most of his team committed by first week of May. If he did say this, he was about 3/5 right. We're obviously still lacking in big men at PF/C.

Here's my question. If our NIL, unlimited playing time, and Derby visits didn't convince anyone, what will?

I'm still hopeful he'll sign some good front court players, but it just seems like the momentum Kelsey had going has fizzled out. We haven't had a signing in weeks. Maybe our NIL package isn't good enough to compete for top players? (Okay that's two questions.)
First, I do have faith in Kelsey and I believe he's done an awesome job to this point. But you have to wonder or question why the lack of big men, either PF or C's? We could have kept Kaleb Glenn if we wanted a roster full of 6-5/6-6 guys who can rebound. Is there something in Kelsey's offense that make bigs unsure of whether they want to play under his system? Do they have to be able to both rebound and shoot the 3? I wouldn't be so concerned but it is a glaring lack of big men not just one or two holes to fill. As far as waiting until August... With the team being completely new and a new coach, how much time is reasonable to expect a team ready to compete in November?

If you go small they have to be able to stretch the floor. Glynn can’t shoot. That kills spacing. Defensively he could definitely hold his own against 4-5. Glynn found a perfect spot at FAU.

A true 4 out 1 in is pretty hard to stop. Four guys that can shoot, drive and pass. It is really hard to contain. There are still some good 6-6 / 6-7 guys that can fill that spot. The only concern is on the defensive side. Can they rebound and make life difficult for other bigs.

First, I do have faith in Kelsey and I believe he's done an awesome job to this point. But you have to wonder or question why the lack of big men, either PF or C's? We could have kept Kaleb Glenn if we wanted a roster full of 6-5/6-6 guys who can rebound. Is there something in Kelsey's offense that make bigs unsure of whether they want to play under his system? Do they have to be able to both rebound and shoot the 3? I wouldn't be so concerned but it is a glaring lack of big men not just one or two holes to fill. As far as waiting until August... With the team being completely new and a new coach, how much time is reasonable to expect a team ready to compete in November?
It's kind of a crapshoot. If you look at the teams who did well in the Portal last year, not many of them had great results. Arkansas and IU immediately come to mind as teams that loaded up in the Portal and struck out on the basketball court. Alabama is one of the few big Portal players I can think of that exceeded expectations.

We've done well, but I wouldn't say we've killed the Portal compared to IU, Arkansas, and St. Johns. But then again, portal ratings are questionable. It's just really hard to tell who is getting what they need and will really be successful with so many changes.

I think we saw in the Tournament last year especially with NC State and Purdue that big men are still needed for success. I'm concerned but not panicking at this stage.

There were 3 outliers. I am not sure we have seen footwork and touch like Burns in a long time. Purdue big was huge and old. UConn big was 7-2 that fit their system. They are like unicorns.

The tendency is to value all bigs like these 3 but percentage wise it usually doesn’t pay off. I would have taken the Townsend kid over a bunch of dudes. Knew how to play inside and could stretch it all at 6-6.

Personally I like the UK big that maybe between Louisville and Oklahoma. He provides exactly what this team needs an interior defender along with Scott. Hawkins can play the 4 or 5 but I doubt you get both.

Louisville is just one of several schools these big men in the portal are looking at. Unlike the guard position, these players are not as essential in CPK's system, so we have been told.

So naturally, any big man is going to know this. Now playing time at Louisville is a plus as whoever commits should see over 30 minutes a game. To me, it appears that UofL is a fallback position for these front court players. Somewhere to go where there's minutes to be had if it doesn't work out with another school.

So it makes sense why there's still not been a commitment yet. I know some here don't want to hear it, but the colossal struggles here at Louisville is another situation these transfers consider.

Hopefully CPK lands at least two more dudes that are front court players. I just don't believe it's going to be the best ones out there.

Louisville is just one of several schools these big men in the portal are looking at. Unlike the guard position, these players are not as essential in CPK's system, so we have been told.

So naturally, any big man is going to know this. Now playing time at Louisville is a plus as whoever commits should see over 30 minutes a game. To me, it appears that UofL is a fallback position for these front court players. Somewhere to go where there's minutes to be had if it doesn't work out with another school.

So it makes sense why there's still not been a commitment yet. I know some here don't want to hear it, but the colossal struggles here at Louisville is another situation these transfers consider.

Hopefully CPK lands at least two more dudes that are front court players. I just don't believe it's going to be the best ones out there.
Your last 2 sentences expresses exactly how I feel and yes, I realize guards are very important, having both outside and inside game are critical to success. I'll walk away from the ledge for now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT