ADVERTISEMENT

Battle of the Bluegrass

Getting out of hand quick and no real consistency except Elliott until you get to Corbett.

Then Binelas answers with a two run bomb! Cards down 8-5.

When we play at their place the seating restrictions will suddenly be lifted.

True story, while it’s on my mind: I used to umpire Little League and Babe Ruth games back in the day with the plate umpire, Scott Kennedy. Dude comes from a long line of umpires. He’s a Louisville alum and super fan, too. I always chuckle when he misses a call in the Cards’ favor, which isn’t often, that fair and professional SOB.

Reactions: PHCARD
Louisville holds Kentucky to 1 run over the last 5 innings, but it was too much for the offense to overcome. Kittens win 11-7.

I think we can be honest in saying this is not a top 10 team (not right now anyway). Hitting, while potentially scary good, hasn’t been consistent. Pitching - we’’ve really onky seen 4 guys produce - Kirian, Elliot, Corbett and Seed. All the others have been hit and miss. We know each pitcher when called on wants to succeed. But, that just isn’t the case right now.

Reactions: Deeva
Unfortunately we just are not as good as advertised this year and are severely over rated. Pitching is a severe problem.

GO CARDS!!!

I think we can all agree with GOCDS and Bardman; this UL baseball team is not top 10 caliber at this time, and being totally objective, it is not playing at top 25 presently.

OK, now that is out of the way, let me add that it is still premature to predict where this team ends up by the time the ACC tournament arrives. Regardless of last night’s disappointing performance, this roster might represent one of the most potential for hitting the ball.

Pitching has been abysmal so far, but injuries have contributed to that performance and it could turn around by post season. This team has intangibles like speed, particularly in the defensive outfield and running the bases. As pointed out, leaving RISP is bad news, but getting on base is an encouraging first step.

I too turned off the TV twice last night; I just could not watch Perkins throw any more 95+MPH wild pitches, as I put some of that on Roger and Dan for contributing to another humiliating exhibition by a kid with MLB potential, based entirely on velocity. It would be a fair question as to whether Perkins has demonstrated the same lack of control in practice and in the bull pen as he awaits his relief role?

Reactions: Bardman and gocds
I think sometimes guys are too keyed up at the plate
Last night was a prime example, swinging at everything out of the pitcher's hand.
I agree we're not that good right now. We have to get healthy with the pitching staff.
Like I said before, I trade a 50 win season in for more progress in June.

I've been saying this since the first couple of weeks in the season. You could see right away this group doesn't compare at all with recent Cards teams and the reason is pitching.

Unlike other Cards sports, the baseball program receives respect and is ranked high when it's clear they shouldn't be. But hopefully its a one season hiccup and we get back to Louisville baseball soon.

I believe this problem is a hiccup in the big scheme of things. Whether we’ll see a return to past seasons success remains to be seen. This squad has talented players just as their predecessors have had but for some reason they just haven’t produced as others in the past have done. We must be patient and supportive.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: earsky and Deeva
We're missing 5 major contributors in the pitching staff, all of whom might return this year. Way too early to write these guys off.

Reactions: Deeva and PHCARD
Please elaborate.
Poland, Albanese,Corbett and Prosecky all started the season,but are either injured or getting ready to return from injuries.
Kerry Wright had TJ surgery a while back, but is expected to return (hopefully soon). I saw Kerry last night dressed, so maybe that's good news
Poland hurt his foot the first weekend of the season,but should be back.
My point is,all 5 of these guys are major pieces to the pitching staff that we haven't had for weeks.
If they return,the end results could be good.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Reactions: gocds
Poland, Albanese,Corbett and Prosecky all started the season,but are either injured or getting ready to return from injuries.
Kerry Wright had TJ surgery a while back, but is expected to return (hopefully soon). I saw Kerry last night dressed, so maybe that's good news
Poland hurt his foot the first weekend of the season,but should be back.
My point is,all 5 of these guys are major pieces to the pitching staff that we haven't had for weeks.
If they return,the end results could be good.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Thanks.

Reactions: earsky
And I should add that there are three second year freshmen who all pitched last year that have been erratic. Keuhner,Tulio and Webster all pitched last season before covid shut things down.
Throw in the struggles of Luke Smith and Perkins and you got what we've got right now.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
If these pitchers return and perform like the guys in the past then maybe the Cards will be back in Omaha.

But I'm not as confident as other fans as the defense is not in anyway up to par and the lineup is inconsistent.

I think it's just time for a down year and that being a covid year at that. No doubt in my mind McDonnell will have the Cards back next season. We may just be seeing that outlier season that all top programs experience.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think we will get to the super regional this season.

So if you're keeping score at home, that's 10 guys that were all going to contribute this season,five not playing and five who need to be better.
If we were in the 2nd week of May, I'd be panicking.Gladly, it's not.

Some of you are forgetting that as of this moment, we have the lowest number of conference losses in the ACC; essentially we are still able to determine our own road to Omaha, as whoever wins the ACC will likely be a Regional host. Not predicting anything for this season, but I think there is still a lot of potential there.

Win the ACC and you're likely a 1-8. Definitely a 9-16 at worst. With the newly announced naming of Regional and Super Regional Sites early (for COVID preparation purposes), we need to stay in good position until then (to secure a host position) and then continue to play well to get placed as the #1 seed in our own location. We have a good track history of hosting and have solid COVID protocols in place which should be evaluated favorably by the NCAA.

I am not concerned about offense. Our losses include games where we've scored 3, 2, 6, 9, 3, 3, 12, 3 & 7. 2-15 w/ RISP is not great. Many of those coming via Ks when a runner was on 3B with < 2 out, is VERY bad.

Pitching is a concern. Other than Corbett and Seed's last 2 starts, there haven't been any "upside performers." There have been many who have not met expectations - Smith and Perkins probably the most significant because expectations were high for both. For now, Smith has shown to be the P he was for 90% of the 2019 season (outside of the IU game and postseason heroics). Albanese and Poland being out extended periods has stretched a large but inexperienced staff. They work slowly and regularly from behind in the count which is a recipe for disaster. Thought Kuehner had figured it out in the WF series as he was engaged, threw strikes and was aggressive. Last night - not so much.

The good news is that there is plenty of talent. Just need the tumblers to lock into place for a few of them and get on a nice run. Maybe this weekend against FSU is the recipe. They are one of the few teams in the ACC that seems to perform against UofL.

Reactions: earsky and gocds
Win the ACC and you're likely a 1-8. Definitely a 9-16 at worst. With the newly announced naming of Regional and Super Regional Sites early (for COVID preparation purposes), we need to stay in good position until then (to secure a host position) and then continue to play well to get placed as the #1 seed in our own location. We have a good track history of hosting and have solid COVID protocols in place which should be evaluated favorably by the NCAA.

I am not concerned about offense. Our losses include games where we've scored 3, 2, 6, 9, 3, 3, 12, 3 & 7. 2-15 w/ RISP is not great. Many of those coming via Ks when a runner was on 3B with < 2 out, is VERY bad.

Pitching is a concern. Other than Corbett and Seed's last 2 starts, there haven't been any "upside performers." There have been many who have not met expectations - Smith and Perkins probably the most significant because expectations were high for both. For now, Smith has shown to be the P he was for 90% of the 2019 season (outside of the IU game and postseason heroics). Albanese and Poland being out extended periods has stretched a large but inexperienced staff. They work slowly and regularly from behind in the count which is a recipe for disaster. Thought Kuehner had figured it out in the WF series as he was engaged, threw strikes and was aggressive. Last night - not so much.

The good news is that there is plenty of talent. Just need the tumblers to lock into place for a few of them and get on a nice run. Maybe this weekend against FSU is the recipe. They are one of the few teams in the ACC that seems to perform against UofL.

I agree on FSU - they just don’t like us and I hope we adopt their attitude against them. We DO infact have a bunch of talented players. We just need to bring that talent to the field at the right time.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: earsky
we have the lowest number of conference losses in the ACC
A pretty amazing feat, considering that a handful of pitchers and some of the position players with really good months of March have carried the team.

If a down year for UofL is competing for the ACC regular season championship and hosting a regional- then I think things aren’t as bad as many think. We’ve gotten spoiled pretty quickly. 🤔

Last edited:
And I should add that there are three second year freshmen who all pitched last year that have been erratic. Keuhner,Tulio and Webster all pitched last season before covid shut things down.
Throw in the struggles of Luke Smith and Perkins and you got what we've got right now.

Robinson actually pitched the best of all three last night. I suspect the he will get more opportunities

If a down year for UofL is competing for the ACC regular season championship and hosting a regional- then I think things aren’t as bad as think. 🤔
Well, something that NCAA has already decided. There will be predetermined regional and super regional sites because of Covid. You could be seeded No.1 and not play at home. Here is another thing to consider, they usually match us up with Vandy, who clearly a overall 1. The other thing is with the kitties new facility, there will be pressure for them to host, if they make the field.

Well, something that NCAA has already decided. There will be predetermined regional and super regional sites because of Covid. You could be seeded No.1 and not play at home. Here is another thing to consider, they usually match us up with Vandy, who clearly a overall 1. The other thing is with the kitties new facility, there will be pressure for them to host, if they make the field.
UK has a lot of work to do on SEC weekends to even be in the conversation for a Top 16 seed. D1 baseball published their midseason Field of 64 projections and had UofL as a 15 seed (opposite MS State) and UK as the #2 seed at Louisville.

Although the NCAA is deciding regional and super regional sites early (to prepare for COVID), as I understand it the choices will still be based on merit and the usual other factors (facility, geography, etc.).

UK has a lot of work to do on SEC weekends to even be in the conversation for a Top 16 seed. D1 baseball published their midseason Field of 64 projections and had UofL as a 15 seed (opposite MS State) and UK as the #2 seed at Louisville.

Although the NCAA is deciding regional and super regional sites early (to prepare for COVID), as I understand it the choices will still be based on merit and the usual other factors (facility, geography, etc.).
That’s why I mentioned they have a brand new facility. I agree their resume is not typical of hosting but stranger things have happened. I’m sure Barnfart will be marketing it..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT