ADVERTISEMENT

Based on early ranking we are falling behind previous coach's recruiting totals and losing ground

glassmanJ

2500+
Jan 26, 2007
obviously, he can coach them, but hopefully JB can do some catching up on recruits and then coaching up next year as so far we are only ranked 58th (TOS has us at 55th) in recruiting (btw UK is 25th) but satts had classes ranked 50th in 2022, 31st in 2021 and 40th in 2020. we were 34th last year but that's an outlier as satt's recruited half of them and JB brought in portal guys. but so far, the JB bump is not happening this year and we are not getting any juice off this season. seems to be stuck in the same recruiting position we've always been in.

I think CJB is going to bring and coach up the HS recruits and rely on the portal for the next 2-3 seasons to fill the gaps. The transfer portal will be the new way of life, HS school recruits can't/won't be trusted to stay.

I can't blame the coaches, I can already see the trend of HS recruits redshirting in one place then transferring out at the end of the season. It is one of the reasons I am beginning to lose my appetite for college football. Hell, I might as well watch the NFL.

totally true, i mean alabama, ohio state and georgia, they all finish near the bottom every year don't they? and uk beats us every year in rankings and then beats us every year on the field. funny how teams with better recruits generally do way better.
Louisville is not going to suddenly start competing for 5 stars HS recruits with those programs that you listed - nor, are 95% of CFB programs. Brohm - if you have been paying attention - did just however get a former 5 star WR from of all places - Alabama.

UK beat us every year because Sunbelt Scotty is a shitty coach who was never invested in the program - much less the rivalry with the yuts. I know that Miami of Ohio is sure glad he took his “talents” to UC.

If you combine the portal and high school recruits, the number is significantly higher. However, review last years transfers, and you will discover they were very valuable to this years success. How many freshman contributed this year? So, getting older, stronger players is the way to go.
Just look at the access of the transfer qb's in the top twenty rankings.

HS recruiting matters, certainly, but the recruits that we sign out of HS typically take at least two years to be able to contribute at this level. Coach Brohm is making a conscious choice to go with more proven immediate contributors out of the portal rather than development players.

Win a lot of games these next few years, and we will start getting more commitments from more of the elite HS recruits who can contribute immediately.

If you combine the portal and high school recruits, the number is significantly higher. However, review last years transfers, and you will discover they were very valuable to this years success. How many freshman contributed this year? So, getting older, stronger players is the way to go.
Just look at the access of the transfer qb's in the top twenty rankings.
Times have changed. Barometer of roster talent has changed. Recruiting has changed. The entire college football landscape has changed. What was once important and noteworthy and a conversation piece, like a high school recruiting class, is not what it used to be. It’s not not important. It’s no longer what the OP is making it out to be.

totally true, i mean alabama, ohio state and georgia, they all finish near the bottom every year don't they? and uk beats us every year in rankings and then beats us every year on the field. funny how teams with better recruits generally do way better.
There’s not many freshman that are immediate impact players, those schools get those. The ones who aren’t immediate impact players will probably be in the portal the following year.

We are getting transfers from Alabama, Ohio State, Miami, etc. these aren’t players that sat on the bench either. They were on the field a lot and that is why these big name coaches are complaining about the portal. Alabama lost 20 players in the portal and Georgia lost a lot also. I remember a couple of years ago Michigan’s recruiting class wasn’t even in the top 25 and look at them now.

and every team above us is doing the exact same thing thru the portal. if we are getting guys from bama, osu, um, etc, it's their rejects and they are bringing in even better players to replace the ones we grab. every team ranked above us has the exact same plan as we do. also, just because a 5* freshman doesn't get much playing time at the big schools doesn't mean they couldn't start anywhere else in the country, but they are already behind 5* players and wait to move up so it's 100% vital to get great quality kids out of high school and develop them.

hence, that's why we are always ranked in the middle and never sniff a title as the reality is a team of 3 and 4 star guys almost never beats a team of 4 and 5 star guys. my guess is that in our entire history of recruiting, the total of all the 5* players we've ever gotten doesn't equal what all the top teams bring in each year. think about that, how many have we had, 8, 9, 10? and who of them worked out besides lamar?

but the lower teams with lower recruiting rankings never get to the big time and win. it happens but rarely and they don't win the national title. TCU proved that. and no where are they, no where to be ranked after playing for title just last year. truth is Satt's, based on evidence, was a better recruiter than JB as his last class would have been the highest ever for our school but we kicked him to the curb because he beat the most top 25 ranked teams in the country last year but lost to uk. well jb lost to uk too and is not recruiting as well. so why does he get the love?

i fear the pressure on jb if he fails to win at uk next year as it may crush him and if he loses then we should be looking at another coaching change if the reason we didn't keep satts is we couldn't beat uk? next year, jsut like this year, will be a failure if we lose again to uk. i am sick and tired of losing to them and could give a rats ass about a bowl game against a lame usc team that accomplished nothing this year. lose against uk next year and i'll be calling for the replacement of the coaching staff as they did not improve upon the last staff.

imho, satts would have gone 10-2 or 11-1 this year considering it was the easiest schedule he would have faced. that's why heird made the move, so jb could look good on an easy schedule. we were going to be preseason ranked inside the top 20 if satts stayed. hired jb made us a top 50 team and luckily he got us back up there but with satts we would have been there all year and most likely been top 5 or 6. that's the truth. if you don't like it, that's okay but it's the god's honest reality of where we are today.

I remember a couple of years ago Michigan’s recruiting class wasn’t even in the top 25 and look at them now.
you need to do your research before you make claims as it totally invalidates what you say when you're facts are incorrect. michigans recruiting rankings have been the following going in reverse from last year. in 2023 they were 18th, in 2022 9th, 2021 they were 10th, 2020 11th, and 2019 10th. but in 2018 24th. so top 11 four out of the last 5 years. so it would seem that having top 11 recruiting classes gets you somewhere. top 50 does not. they were however, 24th back in 2018 and all those players are gone now and that's when um sucked and they wanted to get rid of harbaugh. he started recruiting better and now look at them. mic drop!

and every team above us is doing the exact same thing thru the portal. if we are getting guys from bama, osu, um, etc, it's their rejects and they are bringing in even better players to replace the ones we grab. every team ranked above us has the exact same plan as we do. also, just because a 5* freshman doesn't get much playing time at the big schools doesn't mean they couldn't start anywhere else in the country, but they are already behind 5* players and wait to move up so it's 100% vital to get great quality kids out of high school and develop them.

hence, that's why we are always ranked in the middle and never sniff a title as the reality is a team of 3 and 4 star guys almost never beats a team of 4 and 5 star guys. my guess is that in our entire history of recruiting, the total of all the 5* players we've ever gotten doesn't equal what all the top teams bring in each year. think about that, how many have we had, 8, 9, 10? and who of them worked out besides lamar?

but the lower teams with lower recruiting rankings never get to the big time and win. it happens but rarely and they don't win the national title. TCU proved that. and no where are they, no where to be ranked after playing for title just last year. truth is Satt's, based on evidence, was a better recruiter than JB as his last class would have been the highest ever for our school but we kicked him to the curb because he beat the most top 25 ranked teams in the country last year but lost to uk. well jb lost to uk too and is not recruiting as well. so why does he get the love?

i fear the pressure on jb if he fails to win at uk next year as it may crush him and if he loses then we should be looking at another coaching change if the reason we didn't keep satts is we couldn't beat uk? next year, jsut like this year, will be a failure if we lose again to uk. i am sick and tired of losing to them and could give a rats ass about a bowl game against a lame usc team that accomplished nothing this year. lose against uk next year and i'll be calling for the replacement of the coaching staff as they did not improve upon the last staff.

imho, satts would have gone 10-2 or 11-1 this year considering it was the easiest schedule he would have faced. that's why heird made the move, so jb could look good on an easy schedule. we were going to be preseason ranked inside the top 20 if satts stayed. hired jb made us a top 50 team and luckily he got us back up there but with satts we would have been there all year and most likely been top 5 or 6. that's the truth. if you don't like it, that's okay but it's the god's honest reality of where we are today.
Good Lord, man. You going gay for Satterfield was not on my bingo card. Football is headed in the right direction. Misguided discourse isn’t necessary. Put that energy towards our idiot basketball coach.

I did research maybe you should practice what you preach go view Ja’Corey Brooks film and tell me he was a reject. If these were players who aren’t any good why did these high profile schools recruit them? If these were players that weren’t any good why are coaches from Alabama,Georgia and Ohio State complaining about them transferring?

Reactions: mbcard
The myth about “UL’s easy 2023 schedule” is just that ……. a myth. As the season began, all we heard was how fortunate that UL was having avoided playing Clemson, FSU and UNC in the same season. No one mentioned NCST, Miami, BC or GT as formidable conference opponents.

As it turned out, UL, Miami and BC each played FSU as close as anyone, before losing to the undefeated Noles. Now the season has passed, it should be apparent that it was UNC and Clemson that were fortunate to have avoided UL this last season; just ask NCST, as they disposed of both Clemson and UNC when losing at home to UL.

The Transfer Portal is the great equalizer to traditional HS football. We are not UGA, Alabama, OSU or any of the other perennial winners for the 5 Star HS recruit, and I doubt that will change anytime soon, but our history with 3 and 4 Star kids has been pretty solid.

For those pointing to UK’s #25 ranking, I urge you to look at the number of UL signees who picked us over UK. In the “one on one battle” against UK …… we did well.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

The ACC has been declared Ugly by Sankey, Herbstreit, and the Playoff Committee. And the AP. And Jeff Sagarin.

They may all be wrong, but they are the beholders.

The straightforward way to view recruiting rankings in this “new normal” is to average your HS rankings with your portal rankings. For a school like UofL, which is taking approximately an equal number of commitments out of each “pool”, that’s a very reasonable way to determine how well we are doing this year.

Also, strategically our coaches should be thinking in terms of how best to spend the limited pool of NIL dollars that the program has. It’s less risky to spend more of that budget on players who have proven that they can contribute at this level.

If you think Satt would have won 10 games this year, well I strongly disagree. Look at the sick and shut-ins that he lost to in '22-BC, Syracuse 31-7, barely competitive in UK game. In '21, we lost to UK by 31, UVA (coaching malpractice) and Air Force !!!

Satt didn't exactly face a juggernaut schedule and part of my disappointment with him as a coach is that he didn't take advantage of a relatively weak ACC, like Brohm did this year.

Good Lord, man. You going gay for Satterfield was not on my bingo card. Football is headed in the right direction. Misguided discourse isn’t necessary. Put that energy towards our idiot basketball coach.
football was headed in the right direction with satts, how can you say having a top 55 recruiting class is better than a top 20 one? we had the best incoming class until we let him go. Jb didn;t improve upon that so how is direction getting better with worse recruiting?

and not gay for satts, it's more that our leadership doesn't stick with a winner. it's the exact same situation as David Padgett. He won and yet we kicked him to the curb because AD and fans thought we could do better and now look at us, we're the laughing stock of college basketball. well, we did the same thing to satts, was a winner but couldn't beat uk so we kicked him to the curb thinking we could do better. it's the principle of it. i didn't think he was the greatest coach btu we were trending upward and finished in the top 25 last year. Top 25 with the best recruting class coming in and our easiest schedule. i swear we would have gone 11-1 this year if we had kept him. Piece Clarkson would have been our QB, would have had the #2 RB in the country, a top rated D, and an easty schedule. I believe that';s waht you call trending upward, not droppign down to a 55th ranked class. but we did let him go knowing we had an easy schedule next year, our best recruiting class in history, and we beat the most top 25 teams of anyone in the country except GA.

the problem is we have been and always will be a 2nd tier football school. but our fans are delusional thinking we're some kind of top 10 program when we've never even had a single top 25 recruiting class. JB has come in and given us a top 55 recruiting class and i call BS in the thinking that he is come kind of savior. this year we beat who we were supposed to beat, lost to teams better than us, and choked twice against teams with their 3rd string qb. so tell me folks, what has JB done for us that Satt's woudln't have except the basic bs coachspeak JB gives at every presser. he says the same thing over and over. gonna work hard, yeah well so is every other team in the country.

that's my point, JB has not shown that we upgraded and i don't see why we fired a winning coach. we scored 4 more points a game this year against a vastly weaker schedule than we had last year which would mean we probably would have scored even more if satts had stayed.

if you think we did better than show me the proof that he accomplished more with us having our weakest schedule since being in C-USA. i'm just telling the truth. i didn't love satt's but he won and was tredning upward as you say. and we kicked him to the curb, just like we kicked Padgett to the curb. same process. and same results. and again, next years schedule will make or break JB. i hope we succeed but i have a feeling we have not improved at all. we will still be the same top 35 teams we've always been and if recruiting isn't in the top 50, why would any one expect us to beat teams with better recruits?

again, why did we let Satt's go? because he lost to uk and you didn't like his attitude. we fired him only because everyone has had this boner for JB and regretfully he goes limp a couple times during a season and cannot perfrom under pressure. what's that pressure going to do to him next year when we lost a few more games.

you;ve just bought into his salesmanship, but the results are that we had a super weak schedule, we choked vs pitt with 3rd string qb, we choked vs uk and we choked vs fsu with 3rd string qb. and JB took the blame for all those losses. BTW WE LOST TO UK AGAIN ON OUR HOME FIELD WHEN UK WAS THE WEAKEST IT'S BEEN IN YEARS. PONDER THAT, YOU'RE DREAM COACH FFFING LOST TO OUR RIVAL AGAIN ON HIS BEST CHANCE TO WIN. we will probably lose at kroger field next year so imagine what the pressure will be in two years to beat uk on our home field? and what if he loses again. maybe three years in a row and uk runsit 8 straight. so if jb can't beat uk next year leadership should make a change again as obviously winning is not the issue, it's jsut beating uk that seems to our issue. can't beat them in bball oir football so fire the coach.

and btw, on the bball coach i was 100% against hiring KP, he had no experience and thought we were fools to do so. again, as with i think 99.97% of my posts, i was right. just like this post. i am right. you are just to starry eyed for what JB was as a player. but judge him now becasue UK beat us on our home field again. and we lsot to two 3rd string qb's. now top 20 program shoudl do that. and btw, uk wasn't ranked either.

and FYI, Satt's took over a team that quit on it's previous coach and only went 2-10 and he led us into the top 25 and had a top 20 incoming class before he was let go. think about that, 2-10 to top 25 and we fired him

and FYI, Satt's took over a team that quit on it's previous coach and only went 2-10 and he led us into the top 25 and had a top 20 incoming class before he was let go. think about that, 2-10 to top 25 and we fired him
He also tried to leave, if the team (I can't remember who) would have hired him he would have slipped out in the middle of the night, just like Petrino.

HS recruiting simply doesn't matter as much anymore. These signees will be here two seasons, tops.
I also mean by HS rankings the need to have a minimum or the rest are zeroes in order to rank it. I mean you can't just abandon HS recruiting but not nearly as important as 5 years ago.

football was headed in the right direction with satts, how can you say having a top 55 recruiting class is better than a top 20 one? we had the best incoming class until we let him go. Jb didn;t improve upon that so how is direction getting better with worse recruiting?

and not gay for satts, it's more that our leadership doesn't stick with a winner. it's the exact same situation as David Padgett. He won and yet we kicked him to the curb because AD and fans thought we could do better and now look at us, we're the laughing stock of college basketball. well, we did the same thing to satts, was a winner but couldn't beat uk so we kicked him to the curb thinking we could do better. it's the principle of it. i didn't think he was the greatest coach btu we were trending upward and finished in the top 25 last year. Top 25 with the best recruting class coming in and our easiest schedule. i swear we would have gone 11-1 this year if we had kept him. Piece Clarkson would have been our QB, would have had the #2 RB in the country, a top rated D, and an easty schedule. I believe that';s waht you call trending upward, not droppign down to a 55th ranked class. but we did let him go knowing we had an easy schedule next year, our best recruiting class in history, and we beat the most top 25 teams of anyone in the country except GA.

the problem is we have been and always will be a 2nd tier football school. but our fans are delusional thinking we're some kind of top 10 program when we've never even had a single top 25 recruiting class. JB has come in and given us a top 55 recruiting class and i call BS in the thinking that he is come kind of savior. this year we beat who we were supposed to beat, lost to teams better than us, and choked twice against teams with their 3rd string qb. so tell me folks, what has JB done for us that Satt's woudln't have except the basic bs coachspeak JB gives at every presser. he says the same thing over and over. gonna work hard, yeah well so is every other team in the country.

that's my point, JB has not shown that we upgraded and i don't see why we fired a winning coach. we scored 4 more points a game this year against a vastly weaker schedule than we had last year which would mean we probably would have scored even more if satts had stayed.

if you think we did better than show me the proof that he accomplished more with us having our weakest schedule since being in C-USA. i'm just telling the truth. i didn't love satt's but he won and was tredning upward as you say. and we kicked him to the curb, just like we kicked Padgett to the curb. same process. and same results. and again, next years schedule will make or break JB. i hope we succeed but i have a feeling we have not improved at all. we will still be the same top 35 teams we've always been and if recruiting isn't in the top 50, why would any one expect us to beat teams with better recruits?

again, why did we let Satt's go? because he lost to uk and you didn't like his attitude. we fired him only because everyone has had this boner for JB and regretfully he goes limp a couple times during a season and cannot perfrom under pressure. what's that pressure going to do to him next year when we lost a few more games.

you;ve just bought into his salesmanship, but the results are that we had a super weak schedule, we choked vs pitt with 3rd string qb, we choked vs uk and we choked vs fsu with 3rd string qb. and JB took the blame for all those losses. BTW WE LOST TO UK AGAIN ON OUR HOME FIELD WHEN UK WAS THE WEAKEST IT'S BEEN IN YEARS. PONDER THAT, YOU'RE DREAM COACH FFFING LOST TO OUR RIVAL AGAIN ON HIS BEST CHANCE TO WIN. we will probably lose at kroger field next year so imagine what the pressure will be in two years to beat uk on our home field? and what if he loses again. maybe three years in a row and uk runsit 8 straight. so if jb can't beat uk next year leadership should make a change again as obviously winning is not the issue, it's jsut beating uk that seems to our issue. can't beat them in bball oir football so fire the coach.

and btw, on the bball coach i was 100% against hiring KP, he had no experience and thought we were fools to do so. again, as with i think 99.97% of my posts, i was right. just like this post. i am right. you are just to starry eyed for what JB was as a player. but judge him now becasue UK beat us on our home field again. and we lsot to two 3rd string qb's. now top 20 program shoudl do that. and btw, uk wasn't ranked either.
Let me guess - War and Peace is your favorite book.

The takeaways of what I was able to power through:

1. At 25-24 and 15-18 in the ACC - you think Sunbelt Scotty is a good coach.
2. “99.7%” of your opinions/posts are “right”.

Yep - those two comments go together…

Sorry guys, I can't buy in "gaining or losing ground". Nobody can be really sure how next year's kids will respond to coaching, competition and being away from home. And there's likely been as many transfer misses as hits.
Your coach should have been COY. 10 wins in year one????? Rare air.

Let's take a wait and see outlook.

You’re creating drama when there is none. Football is in good hands. JH made the right call not giving Satt a raise and contract extension. Not sure what your beef is with Brohm, but stop it. Nearly everyone is on the same page. We’ve got inertia, momentum, positive energy. No one wants to see fake ass negativity, especially since we’ve got an absolute flaming bag of shit at the Yum.

I hate ever agreeing with CardX, but ^^^^^ he nailed it with that response to Glassman. In fairness, there were some accurate points that Glassman raised in defense of Satterfield, but to compare Scott’s performance in a positive light as compared to Jeff is simply not there.

Brohm arrived late to UL in terms of finding the best QB in the portal. Jack was not as bad as so many contend, but his mistake-ridden performances in the loss at Pitt and at home against UK, served as an evidence that he was not the best “plug and play” candidate for UL.

Look at what Satt had behind the injury prone Malik Cunningham at the critical QB position, and what he left for Brohm; then compare that, with what Jeff brought in behind Plummer. That is how you build a football program.

We didn’t fire Satt. Satt left to take another job. The important measurable is the product on the field. Though Brohm did not bring in a stellar high school class, he did bring in - last year and this year- excellent transfer classes. There has definitely been a talent upgrade, especially along the line of scrimmage. 10 (hopefully 11) wins is nothing to sneeze at.

You’re creating drama when there is none. Football is in good hands. JH made the right call not giving Satt a raise and contract extension. Not sure what your beef is with Brohm, but stop it. Nearly everyone is on the same page. We’ve got inertia, momentum, positive energy. No one wants to see fake ass negativity, especially since we’ve got an absolute flaming bag of shit at the Yum.
What is it with that guy ? He must enjoy making a fool of himself 🤮

Last edited:
you need to do your research before you make claims as it totally invalidates what you say when you're facts are incorrect. michigans recruiting rankings have been the following going in reverse from last year. in 2023 they were 18th, in 2022 9th, 2021 they were 10th, 2020 11th, and 2019 10th. but in 2018 24th. so top 11 four out of the last 5 years. so it would seem that having top 11 recruiting classes gets you somewhere. top 50 does not. they were however, 24th back in 2018 and all those players are gone now and that's when um sucked and they wanted to get rid of harbaugh. he started recruiting better and now look at them. mic drop!
You're using too much logic my guy. There's delusion everywhere but more than normal in here. Not hating, just stating what I see every time I come over here. Recruiting classes are still a HUGE part of making a great team even in today's college football and I side completely with the OP.

Once again, if UK’s 25th ranking for the 2023 recruiting class is the basis for success, what does it say about UL signing 9 of the 14 who selected UL, were offered scholarships by UK. As my old friend WILDCARD would remind posters every years; his valuation was not on “the stars”, but rather what schools had recruited our signees.

Go look at the offers that our signees had for further evidence of their level of talent. I believe that is more evident right now than ever before, just by examining the transfer portal where more 3 star kids are turning out to be the best performers.

You're using too much logic my guy. There's delusion everywhere but more than normal in here. Not hating, just stating what I see every time I come over here. Recruiting classes are still a HUGE part of making a great team even in today's college football and I side completely with the OP.
This is the message board equivalent of a basketball coach having a ringing endorsement from Coach Cal.

Well then...I'm convinced!🙄

If you think Satt would have won 10 games this year, well I strongly disagree. Look at the sick and shut-ins that he lost to in '22-BC, Syracuse 31-7, barely competitive in UK game. In '21, we lost to UK by 31, UVA (coaching malpractice) and Air Force !!!

Satt didn't exactly face a juggernaut schedule and part of my disappointment with him as a coach is that he didn't take advantage of a relatively weak ACC, like Brohm did this year.
THOSE LOSSES WERE EARLY IN THE YEAR, TAKE AWAY UK AND WE DOMINATED AT END OF SEASON

Funny thing CJB targeted these players we didn’t lose anyone. The portal will prove to be more valuable than recruiting HS students, which may or may not pan out or become very successful and transfer and then we simply become a farm team for Bana, OSU, whom ever wants to take our players.
You go with portal players and our success rate will be great since we have a proven player who has college ball experience. And now that players only get one transfer it makes it even less risky.
I think we finished 3 in the Portal recruiting rankings, that will prove to be valuable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT