ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball America’s projected field

The level of exposure that ESPN delivers to the SEC results in assurance of lofty host recognition. I do not question the quality of SEC baseball, as it is most deserving based on its tradition and success. However, ESPN makes it difficult for so many other schools to obtain equal consideration.

Reactions: Mayoman and Deeva
No way anyone who watched all the games since the Pitt series was canceled, would come close to adding Louisville to the field. Only Cards fans will make a case for them to be in but know that they don't deserve it and the results would most likely be the same.

I predicted all the way back when they lost their 3rd midweek game against a midmajor, that this season could end up nothing like we all thought it would be. Something was very different and that was pitching and defense.

It's probably best they didn't make the tournament. I can't think of a more motivated way to get things back like they were. These ACC schools are thinking payback to the Midwest school who invaded their turf.

It ain't happening again.

Whatever it takes, if Coach McDonnell is still here next season, the Louisville Cardinals will be back.

Reactions: gocds
I had a bad feeling. If I counted correctly we ended the season losing 10 of our last 16. Can’t blame the Committee this time.

I’m still looking forward to watching the tournament. Really missed it last year. My favorite part is opening day of the regionals.

To think I thought ‘20 sucked. YTD, ‘21 has sucked even more. To realize 8 ACC teams are in and the Cards are out? Wow! I’m afraid there will be some changes happening, just like in basketball.

Reactions: earsky and Deeva
I can see the omission either way; on one hand UL won 2 out of 3 against SEC teams, including Vanderbilt, and split with ND (highest rated ACC team). On the other hand, losing the mid week, out of conference games to unrated opponents really added to the argument to leave the Cards out.

There were some rather bizarre events in the last 1/3 of the season that are really hard to explain; specifically the incredible decline in hitting from Lucas Dunn and Trey Leonard, as both were hitting well above 300 and 400 early on. I am only going from memory, but once leading the team, in batting average, incredibly Trey went something like 0 for 14 during one stretch, as both he and Lucas were “whiffing” at unprecedented levels.

I can see the omission either way; on one hand UL won 2 out of 3 against SEC teams, including Vanderbilt, and split with ND (highest rated ACC team). On the other hand, losing the mid week, out of conference games to unrated opponents really added to the argument to leave the Cards out.

There were some rather bizarre events in the last 1/3 of the season that are really hard to explain; specifically the incredible decline in hitting from Lucas Dunn and Trey Leonard, as both were hitting well above 300 and 400 early on. I am only going from memory, but once leading the team, in batting average, incredibly Trey went something like 0 for 14 during one stretch, as both he and Lucas were “whiffing” at unprecedented levels.
Unfortunately and I’m not saying it’s true, but these 2 guys are at crucial points in determining their professional futures.. there’s a lot of pressure put on these players.

I know part of the process that MLB GMs and their representative scouts who are paid to evaluate these kids, but frankly my experience goes back decades ago, and I doubt the same criteria is used today.

I have read some posts on this site from those who think batting averages in college are representative of MLB; I personally see significant disparity when trying to compare the two ...... the same applies to the disparity between HS and college, where it is not uncommon to see HS kids being drafted that are hitting well into the .400 levels.

Hitting is still all about fundamentals, and despite how many games and how many at bats ......... hitters can digress from the very disciplines that got them recognition in the first place. It one thing to fly out, or ground out; but when you see an increase in “swing and a miss” that turns into a multi game slump ..... it almost always gets back to having lost some of the fundamentals. Trey‘s slump is one such event that requires a lot more explanation.

I think the later part of the year was reflective of him as a hitter. He is a average college hitter. His yearly stats probably reflect that. He had a stretch where he was really comfortable. All hitters go through hot/cold streaks.

Davis/Alex both translate into the Pro’s. That is it. Usher isn’t as bad as he played but he definitely had no feel for the strike zone all year. Usher had plus speed and arm. He will get a look. They can teach a kid how to hit.

I don’t like Synder as a hitting coach. This lineup was too good struggle the way they did. They lacked plate discipline. They were awful against anyone that threw off speed stuff for a strike.

There is no excuse for how bad the offense was this year.

Reactions: earsky and Bardman
Is that what his primary role is? Hitting coach. I think he is terrible at 3B.

Is that what his primary role is? Hitting coach. I think he is terrible at 3B.
I respectfully disagree. He cannot force a kid to watch the damn ball from the pitchers hand. And that was a major problem for many of our hitters. You MUST actually see the bat make contact with the ball. Coach Snider really does a good job sending base runners to the plate.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: 2330859
Just a real lack of focus for some of these guys for whatever reason.
I thought the offense would end up carrying this team.
Not without Usher, Masterman and Rushing. Too much to overcome when the guys beating them out start to slump.
Really a shame they couldn't get it going. With the return of Metz,it could have been fun to see.
Oh well...

Seriously I’m looking at this as a blessing. Although I wanted the Cards to get in, realistically they had no shot at winning a regional or super. Not with the makeshift pitching staff, closers starting and starters trying to close. Seed didn’t even travel to the ACC tournament so he was never available.
After listening to Coach Mac, he was seriously frustrated by the season and after 10 straight years maybe complacency set in, from the coaches to the players of automatically thinking they would be in. Coach Mac is already eager to begin work to get back to where we belong. He took responsibility for most of it but he also hinted that some players didn’t work hard enough to improve. We shall see.

I respectfully disagree. He cannot force a kid to watch the damn ball from the pitchers hand. And that was a major problem for many of our hitters. You MUST actually see the bat make contact with the ball. Coach Snider really does a good job sending base runners to the plate.

GO CARDS!!!
I didn’t speak to him being the primary hitting coach. I am talking about 3B coaching. The number if times guys get thrown out at 3B, get held at 3B for some reason and the number of times get thrown out at home. It baffles me.

Look it isn’t the kids weren’t watching ball that is too simplistic. With that said they weren’t tracking and timing the ball. At any point these guys guess wrong they look foolish. There are guys are naturally better at recognizing a pitch. There are guys that have to start their swing process sooner which means they are subject to looking bad at times.

A hitting coach matters in that when a kid buys into the coaches philosophy then good things can happen. This group wasn’t buying whatever was being coached. When the last time Louisville couldn’t execute simple bunts? How many backwards K’s did this group have? Missed hit and runs? Not executing moving the ball to get guys in from 3rd with less than 2 outs.

This group didn’t buy in....great kids according their coach but they didn’t execute. Too many guys trying to get theirs in another shortened draft.

GO CARDS!!!
Exactly. Ted Williams was able to tell you what part of the ball the bat made contact with. Helped that he had superior vision and eye to hand contact skills.

He would put tar on his bat and call off to the spotter exactly where he made contact with the ball on his swing....cross seems, or on the horseshoe etc. etc. o_O :oops:;)

He was an amazing hitter and ballplayer. Todays players would do well to get into his book on hitting. Would improve there skills immensely even if they only have half a brain to digest his information. Plus it is a good read too. :D

Exactly. Ted Williams was able to tell you what part of the ball the bat made contact with. Helped that he had superior vision and eye to hand contact skills.

He would put tar on his bat and call off to the spotter exactly where he made contact with the ball on his swing....cross seems, or on the horseshoe etc. etc. o_O :oops:;)

He was an amazing hitter and ballplayer. Todays players would do well to get into his book on hitting. Would improve there skills immensely even if they only have half a brain to digest his information. Plus it is a good read too. :D
I wonder if pitchers were throwing 95+ mph back then? Somehow I doubt it. Ted Williams was blessed with his ability. In his case, he was born with it and is an exception, otherwise we would have guys hitting over .400 BA.

Yea, the iconic Bob Feller was only at 100 +...others not so sure about.

But even if they were only throwing at 89 mph, to be able to tell what part of the ball was in contact with the bat is an amazing amount of focus and visual acuity.

The point is that....extreme focus and concentration is part of what makes great hitters great. Todays young players would benefit greatly by emulating the great Ted Williams philosophy of hitting. o_O ;)

TheCycle27: actually it is just that simple.

GOCDS and Mayoman both get it; the single most fundamental discipline in hitting is “hand eye contact”. It is also the easiest thing to check when reviewing a slow motion video, as you can see where the head and eyes are at the time the ball reaches the bat or crosses the plate.

Ted Williams was the best hitter of all-time, and Pete Rose was arguably a distant second ....... but both shared the same discipline as contact hitters; they could tell where the ball was as it reached the plate, as they both kept their eyes on the ball all the way in.

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
I have to disagree about the best hitter of all time being Ted Williams. He didn't face split finger fastballs and 90 mile an hour changeups.

I think Tony Gwynn is the best hitter of all time.

I have to disagree about the best hitter of all time being Ted Williams. He didn't face split finger fastballs and 90 mile an hour changeups.

I think Tony Gwynn is the best hitter of all time.
We’ll opinions are like noses and other body parts - we all got em. Tony Gwynn was, indeed, a great hitter and a good person. But nobody was a student of hitting like Ted Williams. Plus he had his career interrupted twice by military duty which Gwynn didn’t have to contend with.

GOCARDS!!!

We’ll opinions are like noses and other body parts - we all got em. Tony Gwynn was, indeed, a great hitter and a good person. But nobody was a student of hitting like Ted Williams. Plus he had his career interrupted twice by military duty which Gwynn didn’t have to contend with.

GOCARDS!!!
Ted is in the Hall of Fame for baseball, fishing and aviation. And you are correct, having a career interrupted by military service twice makes his baseball accomplishments even more impressive.

Reactions: Mayoman
Getting fooled on a pitch happens to the best. There is always a lot of guessing at any level, but it's what you do when you get fooled that makes you a better hitter.
My biggest thing was that there weren't enough guys getting fooled with 2 strikes fighting at the plate, fouling off those pitches they were getting fooled on.

GOCARDS!!!
Again Ted Williams was an exception, extraordinaire at what he did, However, to put into perspective, he failed 6 out of 10 times, most fail 7 or 8 times. You guys simplify or imply that hitting is easy. You have less than 3 seconds to decide if a ball is a FB, change up, breaking ball, whatever. It has been said many times hitting a baseball may be the most difficult athletic thing to do. Two objects moving from opposite directions meeting at the same point in space.

TheCycle27: actually it is just that simple.

GOCDS and Mayoman both get it; the single most fundamental discipline in hitting is “hand eye contact”. It is also the easiest thing to check when reviewing a slow motion video, as you can see where the head and eyes are at the time the ball reaches the bat or crosses the plate.

Ted Williams was the best hitter of all-time, and Pete Rose was arguably a distant second ....... but both shared the same discipline as contact hitters; they could tell where the ball was as it reached the plate, as they both kept their eyes on the ball all the way in.
I think I know what it takes to hit at this level because I have done it. You referenced 2 Hall of Fame hitters. We are talking about college hitters. They are still learning how to hit at this level. They have days were they don’t get enough sleep, have crap on their mind or just aren’t right.

The 2 guys you are talking about had elite skills, pitch recognition, and baseball knowledge. Pete Rose had a 303 average for his career.

It is ridiculous that your solution is see ball hit ball. Trey was obviously watching it early in the year but all sudden decides it best not to watch the ball.

Getting fooled on a pitch happens to the best. There is always a lot of guessing at any level, but it's what you do when you get fooled that makes you a better hitter.
My biggest thing was that there weren't enough guys getting fooled with 2 strikes fighting at the plate, fouling off those pitches they were getting fooled on.
There is a lot of truth to your statement. Drives me crazy when I hear little league or high school coaches and parents telling a kid to look for the off speed stuff. They can’t hit a curve at that level anyway.

You always look fastball adjust to breaking ball. Once you start guessing the pitcher has you on a string. As players move up level that amount of guessing increases. I tried to never look for off speed unless the pitcher had a tendency to go to that in situations.

The philosophy has changed over the years. Used to be pitchers gave in when behind now they don’t. Hitters used to make sure they put the ball in play now it is a power game. So you don’t see that kind of battle you are referencing. I chocked up squeezed the plate with 2 strikes. Nobody does that anymore.

GOCARDS!!!
I never saw a Ted Williams game. I never saw any live game of the era where hitters didn't wear batting helmets at the plate. I wasn't around so it's impossible for me to really judge Ted Williams the hitter compared to say Tony Gwynn and Barry Bonds.

I know the stats and I know he was a student of hitting but he never had to take the courses on 95 mph cutters and split finger changeups. He didn't take 98 mph to the noggin either. He was probably the best from his time but none of those guys like Ruth, Cobb and Gehrig are as accomplished at hitting a baseball with today's standards as modern hitters. Maybe they would have been? Maybe what worked for them then would work now?

But we can never know. Field of dreams was a overrated baseball movie. I will maintain that the best MLB hitters I've seen are Gwynn, Bonds, and Rose.

In a nutshell, that's exactly what happened.
I never played pro ball but in HS I tried only to guess on the first pitch of an at bat, but after hitting into a few outs I was told to stop swinging at the first pitch. Times were a lot different then.

Bonds? Bonds? No, no, no. 🤣 Just having fun. Gwynn - amazing. Rod Carew - an amazing hitter hasn’t been mentioned along with George Brett. But, the bottomline is: hitting is not easy, but, we have enough talented players to expect we’ll see some improvement next season.

There’s also one big difference between say Williams generation and today’s hitters. Back then pitchers were instructed to pitch to contact, meaning no one wanted to see walks. The old adage of that walks will kill you! Now pitchers are obsessed with the “swing and miss” metrics. Although the game is still mainly played the same, I don’t think it’s fair to try and compare today’s players with the past.

Reactions: Bardman
Cycle27: you could not be further from the truth when referring to Pete Rose as having “elite skills”. If you knew anything about Rose, you would know that he only had a MLB opportunity as a result of growing up in Cincinnati where his Uncle was a Reds Scout .......literally forcing the organization to give Pete a tryout. Pete was talented, but his success was drawn from his incredible work ethic and willingness to practice anytime and anywhere to improve his performance.

You are missing the entire point ...... elite hitting like Pete exhibited during his .303 MLB career, had to overcome his first 2 years where he hit below .300. Don’t take my word for it, listen to Pete explain his reliance on “eye focus on the ball“ for contact hitting.

Lastly, while there are three (3) distinct levels in HS, College and Professional ....... those in HS who get drafted (like Jo Adell from Ballard HS) are MLB ready, based on what you refer to as “elite skill”; as the sophistication of MLB scouting see it early on.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
I grew up watching Rose,Carew,Brett and Gwynn. My Dad grew up watching Williams,Musial and those guys.
We would always avoid the conversations comparing the different eras. He did say that Williams stood alone in that era.

Ted Williams was an erasable (sp) sort but he was an incredible player. The association with Louisville in those days was strengthened by the fact that the Colonels were the AAA farm team for the Boston Red Sox. Boston would regularly play exhibition games here in old Parkway Field on their way north after spring training. We were treated to some incredible exhibition games in those days.

GO CARDS!!!

Yeah, I grew up a Red Sox fan,changed allegiance with the Big Red Machine.
My Dad had some great stories about Parkway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT