ADVERTISEMENT

Article On Mahmoud- The Good And The Bad

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
THE GOOD
There is no denying this about Mahmoud: He is a good teammate, with a great attitude and spirit about him that his fellow Cards love. He is also long and athletic, with great timing for shot blocking. According to KenPom.com's data, Mahmoud's 11.9 block percentage would have ranked in the top five nationally if he played more minutes (13.1 per game) last season. Of his 29 blocks, 25 came "around the rim," per Hoop-Math.com, meaning the vast majority of his blocks came on layup or dunk attempts.

Mahmoud is also a talented passer from the high post and low block, though his assist total (12 in 22 games) doesn't really reflect that. He can stretch defenses with his mid-range jump shot – he made 36.4 percent of his 2-point jumpers last season – and he showed he has some scoring moves in the post.

THE BAD
First of all, Mahmoud has to build his body weight back up. If he finished last season around 215 pounds and lost the 13 pounds Pitino said he lost in May, Mahmoud would be back down around 200 pounds. He is already lanky, so every ounce matters, especially when he's taking on ACC big men. For some players, it's harder to add weight, and Mahmoud has struggled with it since he arrived at U of L.

On the court, Mahmoud had his issues at the foul line – granny shot cometh? – and that has to be fixed if he's going to play more minutes this winter. His rebounding rates were solid, but lagged behind those of Mathiang, Onuaku, Spalding and Stockman. That may have to do with his slender frame.

THE FINAL WORD
There's a lot to like about Mahmoud. He has long arms and good instincts, both of which help him block shots and score in the post. But consistency is an issue, and it's hard to be consistent if you're not strong enough to go toe-to-toe with Power Five conference big men. The Georgia Tech game gave him and U of L a lot of hope, and for good reason. But there were also moments of real clarity as far as how much more work he has to do.

Louisville can primarily use Johnson, Mathiang and Spalding at the two frontcourt spots this season, but the Cards would love to have either Mahmoud or Stockman emerge as a credible force off the bench. Both players have upside, but their college careers are past the halfway point. It's nearing the point when things should start clicking. Will they?

Reactions: SoulSr
Hey shadow,

Appreciate the info and analysis, at least it's honest. I am wondering though if the weight factor is so bad? I look at someone like Brandon Ingram who weighed 190 lbs and it certainly didn't hurt his draft ability. I just don't think Mahmoud is a center.

I think that's a big factor here- which position is Anas going to have to play? If it is going to be center for the majority of the time then I think he definitely needs more weight and bulk on his frame to help with defense, positioning, rebounding, and any post scoring.

I agree his game- even though he is a 7 footer- is not that of a true center. He can play center against some of the lesser teams or teams that have no big post presence/threat but he got bullied out of position at times against bigger front lines.

In any case I don't think he necessarily has to try and pack on tons of muscle and weight- which I'm doubting he can right now- but at this point it could only help his game develop more. His height, speed, and agility are a big boon to the Cards right now but I think some more strength and weight could help out even more.

He's not a true center. IDC if he grows to 8 foot tall, his skill set is that of a stretch 4. He has range and the ability to shoot off the bounce. His length can cause issues for opponents to pass around and shoot over too. No need to feed him nothing but bananas and milk shakes. He can't keep the weight on anyway. Just let him be who he is. A stretch 4 with some ball handling skills.

What we really want to see is Anas becoming a basketball player instead of someone indulging in a hobby. Regardless of his frame, he could make all that work if he worked on his game. Hell, being light could be a solid advantage for that matter, outrunning and tiring out defensive players, always ready for the transition dunk a thon.

What we really want to see is Mahmoud becoming a basketball player.

What we really want to see is Anas becoming a basketball player instead of someone indulging in a hobby. Regardless of his frame, he could make all that work if he worked on his game. Hell, being light could be a solid advantage for that matter, outrunning and tiring out defensive players, always ready for the transition dunk a thon.

What we really want to see is Mahmoud becoming a basketball player.
Hopefully the competition for minutes makes him work his tail off.

Reactions: Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT