ADVERTISEMENT

Are we really bad shooters or do we just take a lot of bad shots?

ACCCard

800+
Nov 23, 2012
Combination of both? I don't see other teams taking the number of bad contested outnumbered off balance forced shits that we take. And spare me the excuse that the offense is so bad that they have to. They don't. Shot selection is the worst this year that I can ever recall.

Originally posted by ACCCard:
Combination of both? I don't see other teams taking the number of bad contested outnumbered off balance forced shits that we take. And spare me the excuse that the offense is so bad that they have to. They don't. Shot selection is the worst this year that I can ever recall.
laugh.r191677.gif
Sorry I know its a typo but I laughed.

It is a combination of things. One glaring reason was on display today, especially in the first half, when Jones, Rozier, and Harrell kept trying to force things when they should've passed the ball to a teammate for a better shot. What we ended up getting was a bunch of very low percentage shots that were either missed, blocked, or deflected.

We have some good, but not great, streaky outside shooters on this team. However the passing has to improve in order to get better shots more often.

Both, I think. Lack of passing/assists is a key component to this. They force their sh*ts up as opposed to kicking it out... or they get stuck in a situation of taking a bad shot.

Better passing and setting up plays go a long way to helping this situation.

Originally posted by OneEarWonder:
Both, I think. Lack of passing/assists is a key component to this. They force their sh*ts up as opposed to kicking it out... or they get stuck in a situation of taking a bad shot.

Yes and all that depends on off the ball movement too. How many times do we see Jones or Rozier passing to stationary players who pass back to Jones or Rozier? ALL the time. Better movement off the ball can lead to better passing which should lead to better shot selection which should mean a higher percentage go in the basket.

It's primarily a factor of fiber intake. In addition, they could.... Oh wait. Never mind. I just re-read it. ;)

It's not just fiber, Dave. They need more water on the breaks.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

We only have three starters who are worth guarding. That means were are playing 3 on five. Often the only shots are bad/contested.

Its a combination of several things but its primarily we take bad shots. Take Terry Rozier yesterday. In my opinion the strength of Terry's game is his mid range game. Yesterday he wanted to take the ball all the way to the rim or shoot 3's. Terry usually is pretty good at taking it to the rim. But yesterday the 7 footer (the guy Trez nearly killed) had the rim area shut down. Now I will give Miami credit for some of that. They did a good job on defense of taking the mid-range away from both Terry and Chris..

The biggest problem is this team, primarily the gaurds, has no patience. If something does not develop in the first 15 seconds of the shot clock they go rogue. One of the biggest baskets late in the game was when CJ was very patient, worked his way into the lane and hit a 13 foot jumper.

I think with some patience, and utilization of the mid-range game by Terry and Chris our offense would improve. Also, when the other team has length & shot blockers I would like to see whoever penetrates draw the defense and kick it to the perimeter.
That will give us better looks at 3's.

One other thing, When Nanu's in the game I think we need to throw the ball occassionally to him. He is getting better and we can't let the other teams totally ignore our centers on defense. Never throw the ball to Mango. Just don't.
This post was edited on 2/22 10:13 AM by rentalman

Originally posted by 71card:
It's not just fiber, Dave. They need more water on the breaks.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

We only have three starters who are worth guarding. That means were are playing 3 on five. Often the only shots are bad/contested.
71,I believe sincerely that Blackshear is the key to fixing that.You are correct about the 3 on 5 thing.Teams are concentrating on those 3.

If the coaching staff can get WB loose on some back door cuts,baseline cuts,he becomes a force and the 4th option.

Shooting percentage is significantly enhanced by playing better defense and getting more deflections. For two reasons.

You get more fast break situations on quick changes of possession. And the game tempo is usually sped up which is conducive to more relaxed and frequent shooting opportunities.

Yesterday's game was evidence of that. Our shooting mysteriously improved in the 2nd half as we played better defense...

Originally posted by Cue Card:

Originally posted by OneEarWonder:

Yes and all that depends on off the ball movement too. How many times do we see Jones or Rozier passing to stationary players who pass back to Jones or Rozier? ALL the time. Better movement off the ball can lead to better passing which should lead to better shot selection which should mean a higher percentage go in the basket.
Cue - You should have heard my wife going off in the 1st half yesterday about no movement and the pass (handoff) from the high post back to Jones or Rozier. I've gotten used to it and grit my teeth. She was letting it fly.

Originally posted by silver52:
75% bad shooters, 25% bad shots.
I think those percentages (wherever atmosphere you pulled them out of) are way off. If anything, the bad shot selection is much closer to 75% versus bad shooters. This team has shooters who can shoot. Most of the time, they just take bad shots.

Agreed, it's both. However, I think there is another aspect affecting the low percentages as well. That is having players that move without the ball. One guy with the ball should mean 4 guys moving trying to give the one someone to throw it to. I see a lot of standing around and watching the guards dribble. Players move without the ball, then the ball movement will improve, and hopefully that creates better shots and eventually, a better shooting percentage. The teams with high assist totals are the ones whose players are nearly always in motion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT