ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody know the intentions

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
of Oriente,Snider and Lavey? I know we just got beat,but I am really looking forward to next season with the return of Miller and Detmers.

Reactions: Deeva
Sounds like Campbell and Synder are gone. The others should be back. I personally would stay at Louisville instead of going to the minors. A year won't matter. They aren't going to like the minors and the reality is the chances of making to the big leagues is a long shot.

Reactions: earsky
I know Snider got drafted,Lavey didn't. Not sure about Oriente.
I would be surprised if those 3 go. Oriente’s doesn’t have a position. Snider has the tools especially speed but a .289 BA in college is not where it needs to be. Hopefully these guys see how close they came and come back with a desire to win it all.

Really hoping all 3 come back. I'm expecting next year's team to explode if they do. Yeah,I heard Campbell was gone. His family was saying that at the Supers.

Anyone know if there's much of a slot bonus expected for the guys drafted in the later rounds?...

I heard that Campbell was signing for 100K. Not sure how late he was.
In the grand scheme of things that isn't that much and probably not much different if he stayed. He may not improve his stock with another year but I doubt he hurts it. I get the rush to leave in basketball and football not so much in baseball. The path to the MLB is long and tough even for the elite guys. A lot of it has to do with the MLB roster. You better look at the entire roster from single to MLB. Can image you being drafted by Reds as a short stop with Larkin. You aren't going anywhere in that organization for a long time.

The college experience is so much better than the minors especially at Louisville.

With that said you can never be critical of a kid pursuing their dreams.

College players drafted as juniors generally get more bonus money than those drafted as seniors, even seniors drafted in higher rounds. The player doesn't have much choice whether to take an offer after his senior year.

At least ML baseball has it right by making college kids wait till after their junior year. If only they would have that MLB draft after the CWS.

In the grand scheme of things that isn't that much and probably not much different if he stayed. He may not improve his stock with another year but I doubt he hurts it. I get the rush to leave in basketball and football not so much in baseball. The path to the MLB is long and tough even for the elite guys. A lot of it has to do with the MLB roster. You better look at the entire roster from single to MLB. Can image you being drafted by Reds as a short stop with Larkin. You aren't going anywhere in that organization for a long time.

The college experience is so much better than the minors especially at Louisville.

With that said you can never be critical of a kid pursuing their dreams.

College baseball players are often on partial scholarships (which means they are racking up debt). If you’ve already earned your degree. and it’s your dream to play Major League baseball, the decision to start earning a paycheck while living your dream is pretty straightforward.

Oriente was not drafted, so he will be back. The 8 on the 2019 roster who were drafted are:

LOUISVILLE BASEBALL AT 2019 MLB DRAFT

• 1B, Logan Wyatt(Louisville, Ky./North Bullitt HS) – 2nd Round – 51st Selection – San Francisco Giants

• RHP, Michael McAvene(Camby, Ind./Roncalli HS) – 3rd Round – 103rd Selection – Chicago Cubs

• SS, Tyler Fitzgerald(Rochester, Ill./Rochester HS) – 4th Round – 116th Selection – San Francisco Giants

• LHP, Nick Bennett(Cincinnati, Ohio/Moeller HS) – 6th Round – 193rd Selection – Milwaukee Brewers

• RHP, Bryan Hoeing(Batesville, Ind./Batesville HS) – 7th Round – 201st Selection – Miami Marlins

• OF, Jake Snider(Champaign, Ill./Ballard HS) – 20th Round – 604th Selection – Pittsburgh Pirates

• OF, Drew Campbell(Jeffersonville, Ind./Jeffersonville HS) – 23rd Round – 697th Selection – Atlanta Braves

• RHP, Shay Smiddy(Defiance, Ohio/Defiance HS) – 36th Round – 1088th Selection – Tampa Bay Rays

I’d expect everybody on that list except for possibly Campbell and Smiddy to go.

• OF, Drew Campbell(Jeffersonville, Ind./Jeffersonville HS) – 23rd Round – 697th Selection – Atlanta Braves

• RHP, Shay Smiddy(Defiance, Ohio/Defiance HS) – 36th Round – 1088th Selection – Tampa Bay Rays

I’d expect everybody on that list except for possibly Campbell and Smiddy to go.
Don't know about Smiddy,but Campbell's family told me at the Supers that he's gone.

Reactions: PushupMan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT