ADVERTISEMENT

ACC WBB Media Day in Charlotte

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The 15 ACC WBB coaches and 30 players converged on Charlotte, NC yesterday for the 2021 ACC WBB Media Day. I did not get to view the whole nine-hour production on the ACC Network, but was fortunate to catch Walz with Packer and Durham and Hailey Van Lith and Kianna Smith with the Nothing But Net women.

Nothing new, earth-shaking or program changing was revealed by the Cardinals trio -- or any of the participants I watched.

Events like this are primarily designed to let coaches pump sunshine out concerning their programs, exchange pats on the back and let the interviewers praise the players and coaches. If you believe all the hype, all 15 teams in the ACC are reloaded, stronger than they've ever been, will make a run at the ACC WBB title and all the players are poised for breakout seasons. OK fine, where do I sign and what kind of warranty do I get with that? We'll see how that looks in March.

FIVE THINGS ABOUT THE CARDS APPERANCE YESTERDAY

1) Jeff Walz thinks Emily Engstler will have an impact on the 2021-22 squad. Thank you, Captain Obvious. I would imagine water is wet, as well.

2) Hailey Van Lith and Kianna Smith both spent time this summer in Los Angeles working out with personal trainers. They faced a variety of other collegiate athletes in drills and such. That's good to hear, but we were pretty certain neither sat around eating bon-bons and making TicToc clips all day. No one works harder than Hailey.

3) Jeff Walz has a new "Walzism". "If the grass looks greener on the other side, it's because of the bull s%$# used to fertilize it." We know Walz is a huge fan of yard work, tree removal and cutting grass. But, was this a thinly-veiled reference to the departure of Green and Balogun to Duke and Kara? Conspiracy theorists, gather and discuss, please.

4) Packer wants to drive a golf cart at the ACC Cross Country Championship this fall. Did anyone tell him that it's not on a manicured 18-hole links and he can't veer into the woods to look for errant drives? I don't expose myself to very much Parker and Durham programming and the reasons why were reinforced in my mind yesterday

5) Deb Antonelli wore out the query: "Dana Who?" She, and many others, believe that the Cards won't miss Evans. Fortunately, neither Smith or Van Lith took the bait and didn't create any bulletin board responses. The two are focused on team unity, hard work and having a great season this year. (Whew, that's a relief!). As for Dana...I do believe she will be missed, just as Asia, Myisha, Kylee, Jaz, Angel and other were missed after they graduated.

Let the games begin.

--sonja--

Can you share a little more detail about Green and Kara? I knew Balogun transferring to Duke, but nothing about the other two.

Transfers work on both sides; correct me if I am wrong, but is it not true that we have one from Vandy and one from Cuse coming in?

Can you share a little more detail about Green and Kara? I knew Balogun transferring to Duke, but nothing about the other two.

Transfers work on both sides; correct me if I am wrong, but is it not true that we have one from Vandy and one from Cuse coming in?
Nyah Green transferred to Duke during the season last year. After the Blue Devils decided not to ply the rest of their 2020-21 schedule because of their COVID concerns. Malea Williams was the 6'4" walk-on from Scott County who decided to go to Cincinnati after the season. Kara Lawson is now the head coach at Duke WBB -- replacing Joanne P McCauley last year.

Yes, transfers can work both ways. The big change in the transfer rule is that "in-conference" players...(for example, if a player leaves Syracuse and comes to Louisville) can play "right away" instead of having to sit a year.That means Engstler can play right away for Walz and Green and Balogun can play right away for Kara and Duke.

We do have two "transfers in" -- so I won't correct you. Emily Engstler joins us from Syracuse and Chelsie Hall is the Vanderbilt guard now on the Cards roster. Engstler is a senior, Hall a grad transfer.

It is interesting to note that the Cards "went after" Hall pretty heavily when she was a high school senior at Seffner Christian in Boca Raton -- but Vandy won out -- primarily because the Cards already had Dana, Lindsey Duvall and Loretta Kakala coming in as freshman -- and guards Asia Durr, Arica Carter, Sydney Zambrotta, Jazmine Jones and Jess Laemmle were still on the roster.

My nephew went to Seffner Christian and knew 5'7" Chelsie Hall. He was excited that she was considering Louisville, but she didn't "see" the possibility of any playing time at Louisville for her...with seven guards already on the roster. Her playing time options were much better immediately at Vandy.

And she did start as a freshman at Vandy and made the ALL SEC Freshman team.

( FWIW) My nephew was a soccer player at Seffner, but not one that got any DI scholarship offers and stayed home...going to FAU on an academic ride.

--sonja--

As always Sonja …..appreciate you and your responses. We are blessed to have you on this site.

Reactions: Sonja
Well the WBB Cards are well into practice by now. Of course, we all know that Coach Walz is very guarded in his comments so we will know very little from that source right up to game time, but we fans can always speculate. I feel, as others do including our moderator, that Emily Engstler will impact this team from the start. I don't know if the staff reached out to her when she first entered her name into the portal or not. Emily plays much larger than 6'1". Anyone who can be the leading rebounder on a Syracuse team that started a 6'7" center is a good one. I predict a great improvement in the rebounding this year with Olivia, Liz Dixon, and Emily all being available. Now if the real 6'4" Ramani Parker only shows up!!!

Chelsie Hall is an interesting addition. Hailey, Mykasa, and Kianna all had 60 plus assists last year. Chelsie had 113 assists and almost as much as Dana's 117. The assists will be little problem this coming year. Chelsie also had 49 steals her last full year at Vandy, more than anyone on U of L. Mykasa, Hailey, and Chelsie, IMHO, will pose a ferocious defense out front. Interestingly enough, Emily had 39 steals which was more than anyone at U of L also.

We should get a substantial scoring increase from Hailey and who knows what may happen with Mykasa.:) Kianna will get her points, probably more from the wing position along with Payton Verhulst who showed great talent in high school and her play during the summer with the FIBA teams. Payton and Kianna are potentially real wing threats.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT