ADVERTISEMENT

ACC trivia: This star runner’s lone loss in 23 starts occurred at what famous event?

This star runner’s lone loss in 23 starts occurred at what famous event?

• Kentucky Derby

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • The Travers

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Santa Anita Handicap

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Arlington Million

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King George V and Queen Anne Stakes

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

NoKyCard

3500+
Feb 10, 2005
Since only 3 of the hundreds of you on this message board were perturbed by these trivia questions, I guess I’ll continue them for a while!

I said I was perturbed because half of the time the question sucks. Ask a question that makes sense. This question has 2 trivia questions in it. Who is the star runner and which race? Your question reads at first like we are being asked who is the star runner. That answer might help us begin to answer your later question.

Plus, you left out the fact that only 1 person voted in favor of more trivia questions. No one gives a shit. You lost 3-1. The people have spoken!

Reactions: jim57
If I gave you the who, the what would be too easy.

But here's a hint: he was not an immigrant, but he was well schooled in the non vocal arts.

Ans: In 1952, Native Dancer (a non-immigrant, non vocal arts performer!) burst onto the racing scene with 9 victories in 9 starts as a 2 year old. He went on to win 9 more times as a 3 year old, and as a 4 year old in 1954, went 3 for 3. He retired to stud that year with a recurring foot injury that kept him from crossing the “pond” to try for an unprecedented run in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, mainland Europe’s most prestigious race. Unfortunately, his 9 wins in his 3 year old season came from 10 starts. His only loss was a close up 2nd in the 1953 Kentucky Derby.

But the end of Native Dancer’s racing career did not end his influence on the racing world. He sired an amazing 43 stakes winners himself, but also was the grandsire of perhaps the most prolific sire of all time, Mr. Prospector. Native Dancer is listed in many rankings of great race horses as high as 3rd, behind only Man ‘O War and Secretariat.

Nitpicker's may note that Native Dancer's record adds up to 21 wins in 22 races. So, yes, the trivia question was wrong. Because of that, you all get a free pass on this question, and wrong answers will not count against you. I tried to edit the thread title and poll question, but it appears that editing is only possible in the message itself. Does anyone know if there is a way to edit the title of a thread, or a poll question?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT