ADVERTISEMENT

'21 Recruiting Class/Pizza Bowl

PHCARD

Apr 6, 2007
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville baseball program had its 2021 recruiting class ranked sixth nationally this week by Perfect Game.

This marks the 12th time in the last 14 years the Cardinals have signed a top 25 recruiting class under head coach Dan McDonnell.

Louisville signed the top recruiting class in the ACC according to Perfect Game, a class that was ranked No. 9 overall and best in the ACC by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper. Perfect Game's rankings had eight other ACC schools among its top 25 classes.

The Cardinals will continue their fall workouts with the annual Pizza Bowl series set to begin next week. Full dates and times will be released at a later date.

FOLLOW LOUISVILLE BASEBALL ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Fans can follow Louisville baseball on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @LouisvilleBSB.

Reactions: earsky
Pizza Bowl is Oct 10-14. More detail to follow. This is good timing with it being an off week for Cards FB.

Is this the class that just got to campus this past summer?
I would think so. But then write ups on gocards haven't been acceptable for some time.

If anyone that follows on twitter, facebook finding the same spotty info on Cards baseball?

14- Noah Smith
45- Will Cook(e)
42- Eddie King Jr
51- Isaac Humphries
2- Logan Beard
8- Brandon Anderson
39- Braden Calise
13- Camden Jordan
Big game tomorrow(Go Cards ) but these are some of the newcomers for the next few years. A very talented group and I hope to see more during Pizza Bowl and fill in some blanks. Most,if not all of these guys listed are position guys.

Schedule Set for 2021 Louisville Baseball Pizza Bowl​

The seven-game series begins Tuesday at Jim Patterson Stadium.​

Story Links​

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville baseball program has set its schedule for the annual Pizza Bowl series, which is set to begin on Tuesday, Oct. 5 at 5 p.m. ET at Jim Patterson Stadium.

The seven-game series continues on Wednesday, Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. ET before an 11 a.m. ET first pitch prior to the Louisville football game on Saturday, Oct. 9.

Games four through six are scheduled for Oct. 12, Oct. 13 and Oct. 16, respectively before the series wraps up on either Oct. 18 or 19. Times for the final four games are still to be determined.

All Pizza Bowl games will be open to the public with free admission.

ABOUT THE PIZZA BOWL
Upon his hiring as Louisville head coach in the summer of 2006, Dan McDonnell immediately created an atmosphere of competition throughout the Cardinals baseball program. Whether it's through conditioning in the Omaha Challenge, or in preseason scrimmages, McDonnell creates competitive situations to give his players numerous opportunities to prepare for what they will see during conference and postseason games.

One of the most effective ways McDonnell and his coaching staff can provide the Louisville players with those competitive, game-like situations is through the annual Pizza Bowl series. Following approximately six weeks of fall practice sessions, the Cardinals take to the field for what started as a one-game scrimmage in the fall of 2006 and has become an ultra-competitive three-game or five-game intra-squad series. The Pizza Bowl series has become an exciting and highly anticipated ending to the fall for Louisville coaches, players and fans.

Fans can follow Louisville baseball on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @LouisvilleBSB.

2021 LOUISVILLE BASEBALL PIZZA BOWL SCHEDULE
Tuesday, Oct. 5 - 5 p.m. ET
Wednesday, Oct. 6 - 2 p.m. ET
Saturday, Oct. 9 - 11 a.m. ET
Tuesday, Oct. 12 - TBA
Wednesday, Oct. 13 - TBA
Saturday, Oct. 16 - TBA
Monday, Oct. 18 or Tuesday, Oct. 19 - TBA

Do we know if the Pizza Bowl roster is out. I'm assuming that the Fall roster has been trimmed to 40 players and that should be reflected by the printout.

Do we know if the Pizza Bowl roster is out. I'm assuming that the Fall roster has been trimmed to 40 players and that should be reflected by the printout.
Nothing yet. Maybe tomorrow, before Tues (if Mother Nature decides to give us a break) game.

There are a few Freshmen that could overtake some veterans. It's never easy in this system to do that. They are the exceptions.
Noah Smith,Will Cook,Drake Wescott and red shirt Isaac Humphries.
Remember these names.

Reactions: Deeva
Baseball October 05, 2021 Stephen Williams

Vrable’s Yankees Take Opening Game of 2021 Pizza Bowl​

The Yankees tallied a 16-8 victory in Tuesday’s opening game of the series.​

Story Links​

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – In the opening game of the 2021 University of Louisville baseball Pizza Bowl, it was Vrable's Yankees coming out with a 16-8 victory over Snider's White Sox at Jim Patterson Stadium.

The team names in this year's Pizza Bowl are in honor of former Cardinals Chad Green and Adam Engel and their teams in this year's MLB playoffs.

Chris Seng and Noah Smith helped lead the way for the Yankees offensively, with both players picking up two hits, driving in two and scoring three times. Dalton Rushing added to the offensive output with a grand slam to straightaway centerfield.

Cameron Robinson picked up the win for the Yankees, allowing just one run over 2.1 innings and striking out five of the nine batters he faced. Alex Galvan closed out the game for the Yankees with 1.1 scoreless innings.

Christian Knapczyk, Kurtis Reid and Levi Usher all had multi-hit games for the White Sox. Usher drove in a pair of runs with a double in the top of the first inning, while Tyeler Hawkins added a two-run triple in the third.

J.R. Langworthy and Will Cook each pitched scoreless innings out of the bullpen for the White Sox.

The 2021 Pizza Bowl continues on Wednesday with the second game of the series scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. ET.

ABOUT THE PIZZA BOWL
Upon his hiring as Louisville head coach in the summer of 2006, Dan McDonnell immediately created an atmosphere of competition throughout the Cardinals baseball program. Whether it's through conditioning in the Omaha Challenge, or in preseason scrimmages, McDonnell creates competitive situations to give his players numerous opportunities to prepare for what they will see during conference and postseason games.

One of the most effective ways McDonnell and his coaching staff can provide the Louisville players with those competitive, game-like situations is through the annual Pizza Bowl series. Following approximately six weeks of fall practice sessions, the Cardinals take to the field for what started as a one-game scrimmage in the fall of 2006 and has become an ultra-competitive three-game or five-game intra-squad series. The Pizza Bowl series has become an exciting and highly anticipated ending to the fall for Louisville coaches, players and fans.

Print Friendly Version

PLAYERS MENTIONED​

#29 Tyeler Hawkins

OF 6' 0" 195 lbs Freshman R/R

#48 J.R. Langworthy

RHP 6' 1" 225 lbs Sophomore R/R

#20 Dalton Rushing

C/1B 5' 11" 230 lbs Freshman L/R

#11 Chris Seng

OF 5' 8" 165 lbs Sophomore R/R

#5 Levi Usher

OF 6' 0" 210 lbs Sophomore L/R

#9 Christian Knapczyk

INF 5' 9" 165 lbs Freshman L/R

#15 Alex Galvan

RHP 6' 6" 240 lbs Freshman R/R

#17 Cameron Robinson

RHP 6' 5" 205 lbs Sophomore R/R

Related Stories and Videos​

Related Stories​

Related Videos​

• 2021 MLB Draft: Behind the Scenes with Henry Davis
    Play Video
    2021 MLB Draft: Behind the Scenes with Henry Davis
  • BSB: Kroger Donation New Facility Press Conference
    Play Video
    BSB: Kroger Donation New Facility Press Conference
  • BSB: 2/11/21 Dan McDonnell Press Conference
    Play Video
    BSB: 2/11/21 Dan McDonnell Press Conference
  • BSB: 2/11/21 Adam Elliott Press Conference
    Play Video
    BSB: 2/11/21 Adam Elliott Press Conference
  • BSB: 2/11/21 Lucas Dunn Press Conference
    Play Video
    BSB: 2/11/21 Lucas Dunn Press Conference

Footer​

• University of Louisville Logo
  • Atlantic Coast Conference Logo
  • NCAA Logo
  • Learfield
  • Sidearm Sports Logo
Louisville Cardinals Logo - Go to homepage
© 2021 Louisville Cardinals
Privacy Policy / Terms of Service
Cardinal Shop / About Us
Advertise / Fan Center

I've got the roster. It'll probably be up on the site soon,but I'll try to put it up here as long as I'm not stepping on toes.
Post what you have. The gocards roster is still not updated.

Post what you have. The gocards roster is still not updated.
The roster I have is only for the Pizza Bowl. The roster has not been trimmed yet. I'll try to get it up.
I didn't know Will Cook was a two way player. He also was at 3rd base and I've seen him in the outfield. He has a cannon.

The roster I have is only for the Pizza Bowl. The roster has not been trimmed yet. I'll try to get it up.
I didn't know Will Cook was a two way player. He also was at 3rd base and I've seen him in the outfield. He has a cannon.
Oh, when does the roster have to be at 40? Even a roster without the guys that got drafted, would be nice. 😀

I have the screenshot but don't know how to get it on this forum

I will continue to give out bits and pieces of information on the new players as they play again this weekend. Once again,there are some serious ball players now wearing Red and Black.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information. Really looking forward to this team. I think we may see a very nice bounce-back season. Plus, I am hoping we see at least a couple of freshman emerge and make noise at the plate.

Last edited:

There are a few Freshmen that could overtake some veterans. It's never easy in this system to do that. They are the exceptions.
Noah Smith,Will Cook,Drake Wescott and red shirt Isaac Humphries.
Remember these names.
What position does Noah Smith play?

I think there's gonna be a real battle for shortstop.
I haven't seen either play 2nd although I'm sure they can

Thanks for all the information. Really looking forward to this team. I think we may see a very nice bounce-back season. Plus, I am hoping we see at least see you freshman emerge and make noise at the plate.
It's at the plate where you get your biggest chance as a Freshman to play regularly in Mac's system.
They'll get chances early. They'll have to take that spot over a veteran.
If you can get out this weekend,I would.
I'll try to get a better feel for some of the young arms this weekend.

I missed most of the last half of the 7 game series. I did get over Tuesday for most of the game. If you guys have been following on the Baseball site,you'll see some of the same names thrown around here.
I'm not sure that there aren't any positions that can't be won in the field except for maybe Metzinger and Usher.
Once you get past those 2,there are plenty of dogfights going on to get in the rotation.
Drake Wescott
Noah Smith
Will Cook
Logan Beard(2nd year)
Tyler Hawkins(3rd year)
Branden Anderson
Isaac Humphries
Eddie King Jr

I'm leaving a few out,but the point is this Freshman class is talented and by the looks,ready to play.
Wish I could provide names of some of the new pitchers but they weren't announced like the position players.

Should be an interesting scramble early next season to see who produces going into league play.
Btw,Chris Seng had a good enough Fall to push for his shot in the outfield.

We were set to go Tues and then life got in the way. It seems like fall ball for us just never works out. But in the spring we can be there 3 out of 4 in a week. Thanks for the info @earsky

Sounds promising. Metz set for 3B? I am hoping Rushing and Bianco can find their way into playing time via consistency and production.

Sounds promising. Metz set for 3B? I am hoping Rushing and Bianco can find their way into playing time via consistency and production.
He(Metz)was playing short on Tuesday. Logan Beard was at 3rd. Beard has worked his way into the conversation with his bat. He might be seen at the DH spot,2nd or 3rd.
A few weeks ago I might've given the nod for Beard at 2nd,but Noah Smith has worked his way into that conversation.
Like I said,it could get interesting.

I think Rushing and Blanco will play a lot,especially early,but they are being pushed at 1st and DH by Cook and Wescott.

I’d be surprised to Chris K replaced at SS; unless he moves to second.

I’d be surprised to Chris K replaced at SS; unless he moves to second.
I believe coming in he was 2nd baseball, but out of need they put him at short. I recall too many errs at shortstop, even as the year proceeded.

@earsky so where did you see Knap playing?
Knap was playing short mostly,but I think the Freshman Calise played it some.
Just to clarify,Metz,Calise and Smith were playing for the Yankees. Knap was playing for the Sox.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT