ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING: 2020 Louisville Football Recruiting Mailbag ANSWERS

Dave Lackford

6000+
Staff
Jan 14, 2014
Any more General thoughts on Watkins?

EDIT:
Shortly after publishing that there is nothing new I got word that Watkins is most likely going to decommit from Kentucky very soon. Louisville leads for sure but I'm not sure if he commits right away.

"Who are the next prospects (offense and defense) to take the leap and commit? Which current commit is out there recruiting for the cards?"

Playing the who's next to commit game can be dicey due to all the moving parts that go into recruiting per se. I'll answer this question but I'm going to hedge a little bit. I think that Christian Fitzpatrick will be the next recruit to commit but that's dependent upon how things go during his official visit next weekend. If he doesn't flip within a week of that visit it's not a good sign.

The current commit I see recruiting other kids most often are Josh Minkins, Tim Lawson, Dezmond Tell, Dexter Rentz, Lovie Jenkins, and Marvin Dallas. I know Marvin is recruiting his teammate Yaya Diaby as is Trevor Reid, all three of them attend Georgia Military College. Josh Minkins and I talk from time to time about who Louisville's next commit will be, right now he's working on getting Jordan Watkins to flip but I think that's going to take a while if it does happen.

What are your thoughts on our defensive class? Would you rather see Louisville land Wren or Diaby? Does Louisville have enough Interior DL with Dawson, Tell, Bryant? They lose GG and they are already thin with just him and Goldwire being the “bigger” guys. If you have to highlight a position they have recruited the best which would it be? OL? LB? QB? Etc

The defensive class is solid. They are recruiting productive players with the skill sets that fit their system. They have enough interior guys who can play multiple positions committed right now. Of course, if a big time talent wants to commit they're not going to turn him away. Highlighting the position Louisville has recruited best is easy, they have a four star quarterback in Chubba Purdy committed but they also have Tee Webb who has a legitimate shot and coming in and beating him out. They have also done a great job landing so many offensive and defensive line prospects. The new staff is building the roster the right way.

Any more General thoughts on Watkins?

Nothing more than what I've already shared. Louisville is in good shape right now, but they still have some work to do and Kentucky is trying to keep him.

What current commits to other schools might take visits here? Any big time defensive line playmakers out there that we haven’t heard of that are interested?What Tight Ends are looking at UofL?How many current kids that are committed or will could be early enrollees?

Louisville has been working on IMG 3-star & FSU defensive end commit Josh Griffis for a while but I haven't gotten word of a visit yet. He would also fit under the defensive lineman most haven't heard about category. Louisville is done at tight end for this class with Desmond Daniels and Duane Martin. Players who plan to enroll early that I know of at this moment are Lovie Jenkins, Zay Peterson, Henry Bryant, and I'm assuming all the Juco prospects.

Where does UofL and the new staff stand with K. Goodwin? I know it’s a long road, but could you see him staying home?

Goodwin has been a regular visitor to campus for games this season. The new coaching staff has impressed him and his camp. He is an Aspirations kid to the same degree as Rondale Moore, Jarius Brents, Tahj Rice, & Stephen Herron meaning that he's trained there since middle school. Aspirations athletes don't tend to go to big time schools just for clout but rather to the schools that best match their academic prowess and their chances to see early playing time and be developed. Therefore, Goodwin will go to the school where his camp feels those three elements are met. I wouldn't rule Louisville out.

(Provide) info on Kinsler & Fitzpatrick recruiting. In your expert opinion, will they both be part of this class.

I think Kinsler wants to take all of his visits and decide after that happens. Christian Fitzpatrick will be on campus for Clemson and as I stated above, if he flips that's when he's going to do it. I don't feel particularly strong that Kinsler will commit to Louisville but they have done a good job getting him on campus after he essentially eliminated them early in the year so there is a chance.

Do we have any local kids that are real studs in the upcoming classes out of Louisville or just local area in general that we needa keep an eye on?(Besides Jordan watkins).

Absolutely. The 2021 class has four star Bowling Green TE Jordan Dingle and four star Frederick Douglass OG Jager Burton at the top followed by three star running back Lavell Wright, Hopkinsville wide receiver Reece Jesse, S. Warren DB Jantzen Dunn, Owensboro ATH Logan Weedman, Somerset QB Kaiya Sheron, Trinity ILB Charlie Ely, and Pulaski County ATH Tristan Cox who all look like Power Five prospects.

For 2022 my top prospects at this time are Ballard OT Kiyaunta Goodwin, Corbin RB Treyveon Longmire, Frederick Douglass WR Dane Key, Male DT Selah Brown, Frederick Douglass ATH Ty Bryant, St. Xavier WR Makhi Smith, S. Warren QB Caden Veltkamp, and Lexington Catholic ATH Michael Hawkins. I'm sure more will emerge but those are the nine on my radar at the moment.

I see where Jamel Starks who failed to qualify this year is at a prep school and recently posted a clip to his twitter of Coach Satterfield making a reference to him being his coach? Would he be considered a recruit for 2020? On the same note, I cannot find a single thing about Ja'Darien Boykin who was a stud DE that failed to qualify this year, so I'm assuming he's not considered for 2020.

Starks is enrolled at a prep school and has to obtain clearance to enroll at Louisville in December. He will count toward the 2019 class but will have all of his eligibility as prep school does not count as college time. As long as he passes all the requisite tests he will be with the team next season.

I have no word on Boykins status. If he miraculously joins the team it will be as a member of the 2019 class as well.

Can't remember if you laid this out somewhere or not, but of the remaining spots in the class, how many do you think will be for which positions?

They have 28 spots available and 22 commits. They will still take two more receivers if both Fitzpatrick and Watkins want to sign, they need two more corners, and they will take two more edge defenders.

Can you compare our current QB commitments to any past players, and are we worried about the GT offer that Franks received today?

I would compare Purdy to Stefan Lefors.

Yes, I addressed Franks' status here: https://louisville.rivals.com/news/2020-louisville-football-recruiting-situation-report-hot-board
and the fact that he picked up an offer from his hometown school makes me think his commitment to Louisville is in serious jeopardy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News