ADVERTISEMENT

Zion Williamson

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
watching him on ESPN. I’ve seen a ton of dunking highlights on this kid. Never realized he weighs 272 lbs. Wow, hope he goes one-and-done to Clemson, don’t want him down the road.

I say we shoot our shot. “Hey Zion, I know we probably have another post season ban coming up, but Ben Simmons didn’t play in the NCAA tournament and look how he turned out. Also, coach Padgett doesn’t kill you in practices. All you have to worry about is coach Ganong going bat-sh** crazy on you. What do you say?”

Reactions: BPGhost
Just read where this young man gave his verbal to Duke. The rich get richer.

The UK fan frustration is boiling.

Cal pretty much invented it, but Coach K has stolen it over the years. Duke gives the combination of top shelf coaching and top shelf OAD.

I think their fans are growing impatient and aren't happy another program has overtaken their system and is doing it better.

Last edited:
Where did the hilarious Poppycat and followers disappear to? Busy writing love letters to refs? It takes a village, boys!!

Reactions: Mayoman
Why would you want a OAD kid when you don't run a OAD program? Has adidas taught you anything??...
New coach new philosophy. Too much uncertainty to ask kids to come here for more than a year.

I never thought we were getting him and I don't really care. The makeup of our 12 team was pretty balanced. I don't think you can win a title with no upperclassmen leadership. I don't agree with Cals system and I never have. Duke will almost certainly not win the title this year or next.

I never thought we were getting him and I don't really care. The makeup of our 12 team was pretty balanced. I don't think you can win a title with no upperclassmen leadership. I don't agree with Cals system and I never have. Duke will almost certainly not win the title this year or next.
Duke has a 3 time all conference captain - nobody likes the guy but that is a bit more experience than actually anyone in the country - and he has a ring. Other than reading your own childish resentment, I would be interested in hearing your expert take on how absurd it is for Duck to win a title.

Duke has a 3 time all conference captain - nobody likes the guy but that is a bit more experience than actually anyone in the country - and he has a ring. Other than reading your own childish resentment, I would be interested in hearing your expert take on how absurd it is for Duck to win a title.
I don't think it's absurd. They clearly have the talent but they are terrible at defense and I don't expect it to get much better. A team like that is unlikely to make it thru the tourney.

I never thought we were getting him and I don't really care...
Sure.
...The makeup of our 12 team was pretty balanced. I don't think you can win a title with no upperclassmen leadership. I don't agree with Cals system and I never have...
Your "12 team" had a single transcendental player who ain't walkin' thru that door again anytime soon. All Lite has done in his LPT career is prove he can win a title if you give him one of the best players in the NBA.
...Duke will almost certainly not win the title this year or next.
Duke has an actual basketball coach. That's one big difference.

"Elite program," my a$$...

I see nothing to indicate that Padgett has any intention of trying to change the L1C4 culture here. That's what you're asking for...
Duke has had decent success with a combination of 4 year guys and OADs. Why would we not want to have the top talent? We were leading for Romeo Langford prior to the Pitino debacle. The tide was changing in terms of our level of recruiting. It takes a really poor year from the kansas’s, UK’s, UNC’s, and Dukes of the world for a team like our 2013 title team to win the championship. We won that year because there were no teams with dominant OAD talent.

Duke has had decent success with a combination of 4 year guys and OADs. Why would we not want to have the top talent? We were leading for Romeo Langford prior to the Pitino debacle. The tide was changing in terms of our level of recruiting. It takes a really poor year from the kansas’s, UK’s, UNC’s, and Dukes of the world for a team like our 2013 title team to win the championship. We won that year because there were no teams with dominant OAD talent.
Romeo grew up in your backyard and can't be considered as evidence of U of L's recruiting typically.

And in case you've already forgotten, it was pursuing other 5-star kids (Bowen, Blakeney) that got you in the most trouble. Pitino tried to shortcut his own process...

We won that year because there were no teams with dominant OAD talent.

I mean this could have been a contributing factor but it's a stretch to single this out as to why UofL won. Villanova and UNC have won titles the last couple of years and those were years where there was dominant OAD talent. 10 of the top 11 picks in the NBA last year were FR.

The construction of the last two title teams was kind of similar to UofL in terms of having upper class players impacting the title teams.

I mean this could have been a contributing factor but it's a stretch to single this out as to why UofL won. Villanova and UNC have won titles the last couple of years and those were years where there was dominant OAD talent. 10 of the top 11 picks in the NBA last year were FR.
Yeah i actually agree that it was one factor. We did have a very once in a decade group of diamonds in the rough and role players. It was a complete team. I see this team as a group that has that. Ray is playing like Gorgui, we lack a guard combo like Siva and Russ, but Q is a solid D1 PG, and Deng is a good scorer for the most part. Role players like Perry and MacMahon are there to spell the starters and specialize in defense and shooting respectively. If Padgett keeps learning his rotation at this rate, we could make a deep run. We don’t have quite the rotation like the 2013 team though.

Yeah i actually agree that it was one factor. We did have a very once in a decade group of diamonds in the rough and role players. It was a complete team. I see this team as a group that has that. Ray is playing like Gorgui, we lack a guard combo like Siva and Russ, but Q is a solid D1 PG, and Deng is a good scorer for the most part. Role players like Perry and MacMahon are there to spell the starters and specialize in defense and shooting respectively. If Padgett keeps learning his rotation at this rate, we could make a deep run. We don’t have quite the rotation like the 2013 team though.

Don't get me wrong - more talent would make things easier.

Everything did come together for that UofL group at that time. The landscape continues to point to early departures in this sport. It's hard to really say what the best approach is.

Duke has had decent success with a combination of 4 year guys and OADs. Why would we not want to have the top talent?...
While Pitino was here, the answer was easy... Because he couldn't coach them. I'd also add because he couldn't consistently recruit those kids, but we now know why that probably was.

Regardless, you have not been successful with OAD kids, and I see nothing yet in Padgett to tell me that's gonna change. You don't take kids who aren't a fit anymore than you take a coach who's not...

Sure.

Your "12 team" had a single transcendental player who ain't walkin' thru that door again anytime soon. All Lite has done in his LPT career is prove he can win a title if you give him one of the best players in the NBA.

Duke has an actual basketball coach. That's one big difference.

"Elite program," my a$$...
Perhaps

K has adjusted his dtle of coaching and is more than capable of blending one and done kids with the three and four year player.
Love him or hate him, the man isn't afraid to try new ideas or methods.

And yes, he is absolutely smoking Cal and everyone else in recruiting.

...And yes, he is absolutely smoking Cal and everyone else in recruiting.
It doesn't matter except to LPT, Kansas, and maybe Arizona. But no question, mostly LPT. No one else tries to recruit these kids primarily.

Sucks for the slapd!cks...

It doesn't matter except to LPT, Kansas, and maybe Arizona. But no question, mostly LPT. No one else tries to recruit these kids primarily.

Sucks for the slapd!cks...
We will have to agree to disagree. These kids have more chasers than they can count.
Biggest trouble is the players like Davis, MKG, Fox, KAT....kids that are willing to show they can blend their game into a team idea that can win....are getting fewer, and the Archie Goodwins, etc are multiplying.
Build a program on kids that BELIEVE they are OAD and soon or late you crash.
Kind of amazing it took as long as it did at Kentucky to have a year like this one.

ADVERTISEMENT