ADVERTISEMENT

Yum Center Tour and Coaches Q & A

Art79

300+
Oct 4, 2018
Many thanks to the UofL Athletic Department for tonight's event. I came away even more pleased with the hire of Kenny Payne and his staff. Kenny was the right hire at the right time.

The staff seems to get along well, with Smith essentially ribbing the others by saying he's the best current player on the staff (Payne and Manning are "retired"). They all mentioned basically that the qualities they are looking for in recruits are, beyond talent, they want high character guys, players willing to work harder than they ever have, players with big dreams, and winners. And they talked about liking players who are long and can switch off on defense.

Payne mentioned the same themes that he discussed at his original press confererence about the job being bigger than him and that he needs everyone to get on board. He wants to bring back together the ex-players and the Louisville community, including the business community. Payne referenced a player, I think from the transfer portal, whose main concern was how much NIL money Kenny could get him, and apparently the player didn't hear what he wanted and signed elsewhere the next day. I've seen and heard others moan about this, that maybe Payne is not playing the NIL game correctly, but I took his response to mean that he's not as interested in someone who's main goal is short-term money and not what they might be able to earn down the road if they work hard, and that the coach doesn't give out the NIL money and that he wants to handle all of that the right way. After our previous scandals, I like hearing that he wants to work above board. I think recruits will see a genuine person who cares about them and will do all he can to get them to the next level, and that the NIL packages are still available in Louisville. Future recruiting will work out well as soon as the NCAA decision comes down.

Lonnie Ali was there, and Payne is great friends with them, goes back to his playing days here. I also had a brief chance to talk with Josh Heird, he seems humble and genuine, a good guy.

And last but not least, Luke Hancock was the emcee for the Q&A, and he did a great job, kept things moving smoothly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT