ADVERTISEMENT

Yeah, it's not hurting us at all. No big deal. Nothing to see here.

Jurich confirmed it yesterday in case you weren't paying attention. UofL got the plays, Galloway shared them with the defense. Jurichs own words. So what part of unconfirmed are you trying to imply?

Oh, also confirmed by not saying....... That the plays were given and UofL didn't notify anyone about the rogue radio announcer giving plays to the opposition. You know, didn't notify Wake and say "Hey you've got a problem".

Also confirmed that at best, Petrino mis spoke when he initially said "We didn't see any plays" just a few days after Wake made the Allegations.

All I can say is that it's good for Lamar that this came out after the Heisman ceremony. I realize this had nothing to do with Lamar's play but I can see this turning a lot of voters off on him.

It's amazing UofL is receiving more backlash and criticism than the actual dirt bag who threw his alma mater and team under the bus for three years. It's the Petrino factor. Jurich didn't help with his woefully inadequate statement yesterday. That's the weakest I've ever seen him.

Jurich confirmed it yesterday in case you weren't paying attention. UofL got the plays, Galloway shared them with the defense. Jurichs own words. So what part of unconfirmed are you trying to imply?

Oh, also confirmed by not saying....... That the plays were given and UofL didn't notify anyone about the rogue radio announcer giving plays to the opposition. You know, didn't notify Wake and say "Hey you've got a problem".

Also confirmed that at best, Petrino mis spoke when he initially said "We didn't see any plays" just a few days after Wake made the Allegations.
I was making a larger point with the use of the word 'unconfirmed' as in that the media understands that sensationalism sells / generates clicks.

I'm also saying, that no one should give a crap about what they write.

It's amazing UofL is receiving more backlash and criticism than the actual dirt bag who threw his alma mater and team under the bus for three years. It's the Petrino factor. Jurich didn't help with his woefully inadequate statement yesterday. That's the weakest I've ever seen him.

The cover up always gets more attention than the crime. It's an unwritten rule of society. In a MUCH worse case than this, Joe Paterno was villified much more than Jerry Sandusky for molesting children.

I'd wager that anyone you ask could tell you that Joe Pa covered for a pedophile, but I'd also wager that half of them couldn't tell you the name of the pedophile.

Again, not to say that this is ANYWHERE NEAR the level of what happened at Penn St., but it does show how the cover up gets more attention than the act.

And you're correct, Jurichs statement yesterday didn't help matters at all.

Kratz, I don't think you have read the whole story or you are just selecting the parts that make it look worse for us. WF said they have investigated the matter and this has been going on for 3 years now. WF also said he also gave the plays to the other schools on the WF schedule. The plays he gave were more or less trick plays. WF has closed there investigation into the matter.

Reactions: American Male
Kratz, I don't think you have read the whole story or you are just selecting the parts that make it look worse for us. WF said they have investigated the matter and this has been going on for 3 years now. WF also said he also gave the plays to the other schools on the WF schedule. The plays he gave were more or less trick plays. WF has closed there investigation into the matter.

I disagree. There are plenty of people on this board (and others) saying this is no big deal. No one is going to care. Even Jurichs statement yesterday had a defiant tone to it in closing with "It's sad that this is an issue while our team is preparing for a bowl game".

It IS a big deal. It's getting nationwide bad press for us and I think I proved that with the links. One could make the argument that it's not cheating because Elrod voluntarily gave the information. However, NO ONE could make the argument that it's not unethical.

To compound matters even more, a few days after the story broke, Petrino flat out said that UofL didn't have Wakes game plans. Yesterday Jurich admitted we did.

So now at BEST, we're unethical liars. Oh yeah, we just had two football players involved somehow in a shooting and we're still waiting to hear from the NCAA on the strippers and underaged prostitutes that were in the basketball dorm for about 4 years.

Can't you see how it all adds up? One after another, after another, and all these were just within the last year.

Reactions: dustarm20
Two things are driving the national backlash. First and foremost, jurich's press release yesterday was beyond head scatching. Not a shread of contrition. And the last sentence that pretty clearly conveyed jurich being annoyed this was even being addresed was a terrible choice. You have to admire to some extent the balls jurich clearly has to tell everyone basically to go F themselves. But in hind site that doesn't look like a good choice. America is a VERY forgiving society for 95% of the issues out there. Accept responsibility, Apologize even a bit, and speak to it not happening again and this is all back page news.
Secondly, is Petrino saying his staff had no knowledge of the WF plays when this first came up. Given Petrinos past, the national media isn't likely to give him the benefit of the doubt given his OC and Defensive staff clearly were in the know.

But jurich poured gasoline on this fire yesterday

Reactions: American Male
eee7dcf9682710ad0a3875718352e5cf.gif

Outside the Lines spent a good 5 minutes pummeling Petrino today, but that's nothing new. I still say this isn't a big deal. No such thing as bad publicity.

Reactions: zipp
Scratch the 5 minutes, looks like the whole show is about this. More free publicity. OTL should be paying you guys royalties for all the material you've given them over the last year ;)

Outside the Lines spent a good 5 minutes pummeling Petrino today, but that's nothing new. I still say this isn't a big deal. No such thing as bad publicity.

With signing period coming up, we all know whats coming.
Petrino will jettison some long time verbals, for higher profile johhny come lately recruits.
He wont be the only one, yet will be the only one lambasted for it.
Who gives a f###.

Once again Louisville did NOT have the WF playbook they had some special option plays ( trick plays ) that according to WF were not used in the game. In regards to 2 Louisville football players being shot how do you look at that and think they are the bad guys without knowing the facts.

When I saw that I thought they were victims of a shooting based on media outlets who are reporting the story. I just read on this site that they heard Hearns had a gun but that is not a substantial report that is just gossip. Before I can say this is damaging I will wait until the investigation is over.

The cover up always gets more attention than the crime. It's an unwritten rule of society. In a MUCH worse case than this, Joe Paterno was villified much more than Jerry Sandusky for molesting children.

I'd wager that anyone you ask could tell you that Joe Pa covered for a pedophile, but I'd also wager that half of them couldn't tell you the name of the pedophile.

Again, not to say that this is ANYWHERE NEAR the level of what happened at Penn St., but it does show how the cover up gets more attention than the act.

What cover up. We're the only university that admitted to it. This has gone on for 2 years so far IU and Army are also being accused. Jurich didn't cover up anything nor has any rules been broken. What amazes me is the lack of attention the ref issue got whose daughter attended Clemson and that was a rule violation. No news coverage of that. Just another hack job on UL that unfortunately we brought on ourselves. This will pass.

Two things are driving the national backlash. First and foremost, jurich's press release yesterday was beyond head scatching. Not a shread of contrition. And the last sentence that pretty clearly conveyed jurich being annoyed this was even being addresed was a terrible choice. You have to admire to some extent the balls jurich clearly has to tell everyone basically to go F themselves. But in hind site that doesn't look like a good choice. America is a VERY forgiving society for 95% of the issues out there. Accept responsibility, Apologize even a bit, and speak to it not happening again and this is all back page news.
Secondly, is Petrino saying his staff had no knowledge of the WF plays when this first came up. Given Petrinos past, the national media isn't likely to give him the benefit of the doubt given his OC and Defensive staff clearly were in the know.

Please link any story that accuses Petrino of breaking NCAA rules that you can find. Then compare them to the stories you'll find accusing Sweaty Cal of NCAA infractions.

Then, go kick rocks.

What cover up. We're the only university that admitted to it. This has gone on for 2 years so far IU and Army are also being accused. Jurich didn't cover up anything nor has any rules been broken. What amazes me is the lack of attention the ref issue got whose daughter attended Clemson and that was a rule violation. No news coverage of that. Just another hack job on UL that unfortunately we brought on ourselves. This will pass.

The cover up where Petrino said a few days after the allegations broke that UofL DID NOT have any of Wakes Plays. He emphatically denied it on record. Yesterday Jurich said we did.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...denies-having-wake-forest-game-plan/94021302/

At the end of the day, I don't care in the least what these media outlets are talking about. They take every opportunity to slam us, and we have seen this repeatedly, so why get wrapped up in it? Of course, it is irritating but who cares? At the end of the day, the media is paid to complain, stir people up, yadda yadda. If folks didn't get tore up then they wouldn't have jobs. This story will roll along for the next week or so, then it will die, just like every other story.

This is such an overblown to do about nothing. The rat was discovered and properly dismissed. Unless it's found that someone from Louisville solicited info from someone at Wake Forest, it's time to move on.

Im glad it's out though. Now Super Dave Clawson and Wake Forest have no excuse for sucking every year.

Reactions: CardsFirst and zipp

Sad but true. Nobody seems to care about the crime. Only about the cover up but in this instance, there wasn't any cover up. It wasn't that big of a deal to be covered up. I know Petrino said he didn't have the plays and there is nothing connecting HIM to having the plays.

Last edited:
I disagree. There are plenty of people on this board (and others) saying this is no big deal. No one is going to care. Even Jurichs statement yesterday had a defiant tone to it in closing with "It's sad that this is an issue while our team is preparing for a bowl game".

It IS a big deal. It's getting nationwide bad press for us and I think I proved that with the links. One could make the argument that it's not cheating because Elrod voluntarily gave the information. However, NO ONE could make the argument that it's not unethical.

To compound matters even more, a few days after the story broke, Petrino flat out said that UofL didn't have Wakes game plans. Yesterday Jurich admitted we did.

So now at BEST, we're unethical liars. Oh yeah, we just had two football players involved somehow in a shooting and we're still waiting to hear from the NCAA on the strippers and underaged prostitutes that were in the basketball dorm for about 4 years.

Can't you see how it all adds up? One after another, after another, and all these were just within the last year.
So what should be done to make you feel better?

I agree. After seeing the University of Louisville get skewered on several sports talk shows yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that most of the critics are driven by their dislike of Bobby Petrino and their disapproval of his hiring by TJ. They have just been waiting for an opportunity to unload on Louisville and CBP. You can see this in their shrill accusations of cheating and the fact that they are tripping over themselves to remind their audiences about CBP's past dishonesty at UofL, Atlanta, and Arkansas.

TJ's defiant and dismissive statement was like a big middle finger to these critics. I know a lot of fans figure, if there was no NCAA infraction and risk of some type of penalty, who cares? But I think there is a cumulative effect of all the recent negative stories about Louisville's flagship sports programs that negatively impacts the school's reputation.

I think I'm coming down with a case of scandal fatigue...

I agree. After seeing the University of Louisville get skewered on several sports talk shows yesterday, I have come to the conclusion that most of the critics are driven by their dislike of Bobby Petrino and their disapproval of his hiring by TJ. They have just been waiting for an opportunity to unload on Louisville and CBP. You can see this in their shrill accusations of cheating and the fact that they are tripping over themselves to remind their audiences about CBP's past dishonesty at UofL, Atlanta, and Arkansas.

I am not defending this scandal. At all.

You are right that the national media is taking delight over it. Remember last year - Look at the manufactured outrage over the greyshirt offered to that Colburn kid that Petrino recruited over. Good Lord, if there was that type of outrage over every kid recruited over, Sports Center would be nothing but those stories.

Well that's it! I think Tom Jurich, Bobby Petrino and Neville Pinto need to be (AND SHOULD BE) fired immediately. I cannot for the life of me understand my fellow UofL fans that continue to make a much larger deal out of this than they should. I would think you folks should be asking for fairness in reporting by all of these so called "news" folks. When are they going to start throwing all of the other "major violators" under the frickin' bus? How about that for a start. And let's begin with Army (THE WEST POINT ACADEMY) that just beat Navy for the first time in 15 years and is the major provider of officers for the US Army that protects and defends us! And did IU get some info for their loss to WF this past season? Oh my where are all of the crack "investigative journalist" now? So now let's just keep on throwing UofL (OUR UNIVERSITY) under the damned bus. OH, AND BY THE WAY, WHO ARE WE GOING TO HIRE TO TAKE TOM JURICH AND BOBBY PETRINO'S place? If you have the temerity to continue to throw these guys under the proverbial bus then at least have the intestinal fortitude to suggest who should take their places. OK now start naming names for AD and football coach . . . And for all of you that are concerned about your uahkay friends and what they might think or say I say to hell with them as they will have more to be concerned about in the very near future. Oh yeah, now go read the GOOD NEWS thread I just started.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Well that's it! I think Tom Jurich, Bobby Petrino and Neville Pinto need to be (AND SHOULD BE) fired immediately. I cannot for the life of me understand my fellow UofL fans that continue to make a much larger deal out of this than they should. I would think you folks should be asking for fairness in reporting by all of these so called "news" folks. When are they going to start throwing all of the other "major violators" under the frickin' bus? How about that for a start. And let's begin with Army (THE WEST POINT ACADEMY) that just beat Navy for the first time in 15 years and is the major provider of officers for the US Army that protects and defends us! And did IU get some info for their loss to WF this past season? Oh my where are all of the crack "investigative journalist" now? So now let's just keep on throwing UofL (OUR UNIVERSITY) under the damned bus. OH, AND BY THE WAY, WHO ARE WE GOING TO HIRE TO TAKE TOM JURICH AND BOBBY PETRINO'S place? If you have the temerity to continue to throw these guys under the proverbial bus then at least have the intestinal fortitude to suggest who should take their places. OK now start naming names for AD and football coach . . . And for all of you that are concerned about your uahkay friends and what they might think or say I say to hell with them as they will have more to be concerned about in the very near future. Oh yeah, now go read the GOOD NEWS thread I just started.

It's because people, many of them fans, are tired of the constant controversies. There are haters sure but you can be a fan and simply be tired of this s*** as well.

Reactions: Kratz
And Morgantown Card your suggestions for Jurich and Petrino's replacements in . . . . . .

And Morgantown Card your suggestions for Jurich and Petrino's replacements in . . . . . .

That's ridiculous. I didn't say anyone should be fired. I did say I'm tired of this crap. Take the comment on it's face - what's unreasonable about that?

A lot of us (including me) are suffering fatigue but I'm also suffering from my fellow UofL fans throwing our athletic leadership under the bus and giving those that don't like UofL further ammunition. I am not saying that we don't ever deserve criticism but it should always demand fairness and there is nothing fair about what is being said by alll of the talking heads including the local folks. Their investigation should DEMAND fairness and they haven't ever mentioned the word fair YET.

Not sure why some fans are so offended by criticism? Not liking how something was handled shouldn't be confused with throwing the baby out with the bath water.

You're using the false choice fallacy to frame your argument. The options aren't just between A) Firing the coach or the AD and B) Dismissing the whole thing as a non-issue. TJ could have said we are re-evaluating the training we give to coaches and staff to help them recognize potentially unethical situations and avoid the appearance of impropriety. He could have said, while we maintain that no competitive advantage was derived from the information provided by Mr. Elrod, in the interest of putting down assertions of less-than-fair-play we are forfeiting the Wake Forest game. He could have contacted his counterpart at WF and apologized for our staff not alerting them that they had a leak. Instead, he issued a statement that downplayed the incident.

I've worked for two Fortune 10 companies and both of them make just about every salaried employee take training to help them recognize and avoid the appearance of impropriety. Why? Because even the appearance of impropriety can be blown out of proportion in the media, resulting in major damage to the institution's reputation.

We have coaches in our two flagship sports that have ethical baggage in their past. We need to be doing it cleaner than the other guy.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
You're using the false choice fallacy to frame your argument. The options aren't just between A) Firing the coach or the AD and B) Dismissing the whole thing as a non-issue. TJ could have said we are re-evaluating the training we give to coaches and staff to help them recognize potentially unethical situations and avoid the appearance of impropriety. He could have said, while we maintain that no competitive advantage was derived from the information provided by Mr. Elrod, in the interest of putting down assertions of less-than-fair-play we are forfeiting the Wake Forest game. He could have contacted his counterpart at WF and apologized for our staff not alerting them that they had a leak. Instead, he issued a statement that downplayed the incident.

I've worked for two Fortune 10 companies and both of them make just about every salaried employee take training to help them recognize and avoid the appearance of impropriety. Why? Because even the appearance of impropriety can be blown out of proportion in the media, resulting in major damage to the institution's reputation.

We have coaches in our two flagship sports that have ethical baggage in their past. We need to be doing it cleaner than the other guy.

And I'm still not convinced that they aren't doing it cleaner than the other guy. My issue is with fairness and I don't see a lot of fairness in this situation. Maybe you, and others do, but not me. Not to mention honesty.

I've figured out why this is bothering me so much. All of our problems have to do with STAFF. Someone posted a list somewhere of other schools in the area with problems. It was mostly players. Drinking, fighting, DUI, stuff like that. We know that kids screw up, happens everywhere.

With the dorm scandal, and now this, it wasn't the kids, it was coaching staff. BP and Pitino both have things in their past that make them targets. Pitinos stuff all happened while he was here. Sypher then the dorms. BP has a very checkered past and we all knew that anything he did wrong was going to get maximum exposure because of it.

So it's not some rogue kid bringing the bad press to UofL, it's staff members that already have some question marks and are watched.

The Staff is supposed to be the people setting the example. In our case, they're the ones drawing the attention.

That's why this bothers me.

Kratz I suggest that you give them a chance and let this play out over a period of time. CRP actually did come out in both of his situations and UofL dealt with both. Maybe not to your or some other's desires but they were dealt with. I have enough faith that will be the same in this new "scandal".

So what should be done to make you feel better?

Well since were dealing with staff, and not some rogue student I think that you start with a press conference saying exactly what happened. The staff should be held to a higher standard. Do you agree with that premise?

The two scandals right now are purely staff related. Coach and the dorms, and coach and the game plan.

We pretty much did the stand up thing on the dorms. McGee was already gone, but Pitino and Jurich stood in front of everyone and admitted that violations did occur and self imposed punishment.

With this one, were talking about staff again. Where's the example of doing the right or ethical thing? So far we have a coach that said he knew nothing about it, then a statement by Jurich that said it did happen, and basically ended his statement with a "so what, FU".

So, did Petrino lie? Does Jurich even care? Do they think they did anything wrong? I'd like to know the answers to those questions before I say what I think should be done.

Kratz I suggest that you give them a chance and let this play out over a period of time. CRP actually did come out in both of his situations and UofL dealt with both. Maybe not to your or some other's desires but they were dealt with. I have enough faith that will be the same in this new "scandal".

I wrote a post commending them for how they handled the dorm scandal as you were posting this. Yep, they manned up, answered questions and took the heat. I gave credit for that.

I also said that there's some contradictions and questions I'd like answered about the football issue before passing judgment. They don't seem to be willing to do any of that this time based on Jurichs statement.

But overall, being as everything going on lately has been staff related, I do think Jurich needs to take the reins and tell all the staff everywhere to tighten up their ships. They're making the school look bad nationally.

I wrote a post commending them for how they handled the dorm scandal as you were posting this. Yep, they manned up, answered questions and took the heat. I gave credit for that.

I also said that there's some contradictions and questions I'd like answered about the football issue before passing judgment. They don't seem to be willing to do any of that this time based on Jurichs statement.

But overall, being as everything going on lately has been staff related, I do think Jurich needs to take the reins and tell all the staff everywhere to tighten up their ships. They're making the school look bad nationally.

Kratz "passing judgement" is what I'm so pissed off about. Not you I in particular but a lot of my fellow UofL fans are allowing their "fears" to interfere with what I consider "fair judgement". I'm wanting to give our staff time to give us the whole story. As it stands I'm still not sure (or convinced) that CBP was ever in the loop about this situation prior to the WF game. Again my faith in these people, having been tested, will probably be tested again before this crap is over.

Sad but true. Nobody seems to care about the crime. Only about the cover up but in this instance, there wasn't any cover up. It wasn't that big of a deal to be covered up. I know Petrino said he didn't have the plays and there is nothing connecting HIM to having the plays.
What crime? Do you think that this is the first time plays have been exchanged? No rules or crimes were broken just an ethical dilemma at the most. IU, Army, and VT are also included and I'm sure more will come out.

We're not in disagreement. I said flat out I want to hear the truth, because right now the story conflicts. Petrino said he had no clue, Jurich said they knew.

So tell us what happened and let us decide how we feel about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT