ADVERTISEMENT

WTF!?! Well that was quick. Pitino to Coach EuroLeague

Pitino is first and foremost a coach and a basketball teacher. While we may want him to disappear into obscurity, his passion is coaching. At this point, he probably do it for spare change if he didn’t have to worry about the NC2A.

At this point, he probably do it for spare change if he didn’t have to worry about the NC2A.
i don't think the ncaa has anything over him. he claims he was fired wihtout cause and he has not been found guilty of any wrongdoing. it's more of whether a school wants the publicity. he'll coach in greece, fade from the spotlight but still be in the coaches circle and some school will hire him in two years.

You read it on the ESPN ticker and you responded to this thread, apparently he’s still relevant..

What part of obscurity for majority of basketball fans do you not understand?

He isnt coaching there yet either. The news is relevant today. Sure. He is a polarizing guy.

Will ESPN start showing all the games? No.

Will you be purchasing season tickets? No.

I never said he was irrelevant I said coaching in Greece for the majority of fans is. Because it is.

The games are not televised the list of coaches and players are unknown to most.

I didnt read it on the ticker either.

Nobody will be paying attention unless something outlandish happens, which..... might happen.

I may have to rethink all this oh my. The Euro puss better be on the lookout!

Reactions: UL_1986
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-coach-euroleague-power-panathinkaikos-greece

Rick Pitino is finalizing a to deal become head coach of EuroLeague power Panathinkaikos of Greece, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

A formal agreement on a deal to coach the rest of the season is expected soon.

I know zero about European basketball, so keep that in mind when I ask this question:

I assume that most of the players over there do not speak English. How does having an English-speaking coach work in that dynamic? I remember Matz Stockman struggled as a player because of this.

I know zero about European basketball, so keep that in mind when I ask this question:

I assume that most of the players over there do not speak English. How does having an English-speaking coach work in that dynamic? I remember Matz Stockman struggled as a player because of this.

Actually, each team has 3-4 American players from what I've seen. Kuric and Earl Clark are in the league Pitino will be coaching, for example. There are a number of older American players over there. Alot of guys that are kind of tweeners - too tall to be a guard, too small to be a F.

And I think a lot of Euro players speak English. Some of them have had a cup of coffee in the NBA or played in college in the US.

Actually, each team has 3-4 American players from what I've seen. Kuric and Earl Clark are in the league Pitino will be coaching, for example. There are a number of older American players over there. Alot of guys that are kind of tweeners - too tall to be a guard, too small to be a F.

And I think a lot of Euro players speak English. Some of them have had a cup of coffee in the NBA or played in college in the US.
See you knew more than you thought you did.. congrats!

This is great news. My worst fears were that he'd get a job coaching in college and we'd have to play against him sometime in the future. After that, I was worried he'd land a job as an analyst for ESPN or FOX, and we'd either see him talking about us from the studio or worse yet, announcing our games. Now he's in Europe, far away from the U.S. sports media. It's probably the next best thing to complete retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT