ADVERTISEMENT

Wrongness Looms

CardLaw

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Coming into the season, I had many opinions. One of them was that Auburn was going to be a force due in large part to QB Jeremy Johnson. I watched their Spring Game and thought "this guy is going to be spectacular!" So far, he has been . . . spectacularly awful. Their game at LSU this weekend may put the nail in that coffin.

I thought UL would be "ok". Jury is still out, there.

After two weeks we really do not know much of anything. For all anyone knows Houston will go 13-0 and Jacksonville St. will win the I-AA title in undefeated fashion. What looks "bad" now based on preseason expectations may be a positive by mid October. Of course, what looks "good" now may, in time, be an unrecognized sign of looming disaster. Who knows?

Currently, the things I am "sure" of is:

1. Ohio State will not be tested until November 21st;
2. ... working on it.

Reactions: pervisl
Coming into the season, I had many opinions. One of them was that Auburn was going to be a force due in large part to QB Jeremy Johnson. I watched their Spring Game and thought "this guy is going to be spectacular!" So far, he has been . . . spectacularly awful. Their game at LSU this weekend may put the nail in that coffin.

After two weeks we really do not know much of anything. For all anyone knows Houston will go 13-0 and Jacksonville St. will win the I-AA title in undefeated fashion. What looks "bad" now based on preseason expectations may be a positive by mid October. Of course, what looks "good" now may, in time, be an unrecognized sign of looming disaster. Who knows?

2. ... working on it.
It's really difficult to know how the Cards season will turn out but the 0-2 start is due to two things in my opinion. QB and mistakes. A play here and a play there and we're 2-0. We just haven't been able to survive mistakes at the wrong times. There's plenty of fault on the losses to go around but we just can't seem to get a damn break at these key times. A missed tackle, a holding penalty, a fluke fumble TD.

And Petrino needs to decide what QB and what kind of offense he's going to employ. I think the talent is there so hopefully things will turn around starting with Clemson.

2. ... working on it.

The jury is definitely out. 0-2 and having Clemson coming in next doesn't look good. Looking forward to seeing how this young team responds and develops.

Reactions: American Male
College football is so competitive better athletes, coaching, and training leveled the playing field. That makes each week different and challenging. There are on a handful of teams that can survive playing a bad game on Saturday. Louisville used to be able to pull that off against lesser competition. That isn't going to happen in the ACC and with the non-conference scheduling.

Louisville is sitting 0-2 and could easily be 2-0.

The one thing that has to be corrected is in the turnovers. Turnover are strange animal in some years teams just give up turnovers or create them. A fumble recover is totally random it either bounces you way or it doesn't. The bottom line is the players can control, QB throwing interceptions and the other players putting the ball on the turf.

College football is so competitive better athletes, coaching, and training leveled the playing field. That makes each week different and challenging. There are on a handful of teams that can survive playing a bad game on Saturday. Louisville used to be able to pull that off against lesser competition. That isn't going to happen in the ACC and with the non-conference scheduling.

Louisville is sitting 0-2 and could easily be 2-0.

The one thing that has to be corrected is in the turnovers. Turnover are strange animal in some years teams just give up turnovers or create them. A fumble recover is totally random it either bounces you way or it doesn't. The bottom line is the players can control, QB throwing interceptions and the other players putting the ball on the turf.
Combine 5 turnovers in a game and 100 yards in penalties and you have the Perfect Storm of losing.

As to the turnovers - this is what happens when you select the wrong quarterback who is pretty raw. We should be going with a more experienced quarterback who sees the field well. Gardner or Bolin should get the nod but our offensive coaches want to shove some mobile quarterback stuff on us. Too much helter skelter going on with the youth. That quarterback position needs a leader and we got a glimpse of one in the fourth quarter against Houston.

The players have shot themselves in the foot with turnovers - and the coaches have done that and worse by playing the wrong personnel.

Reactions: American Male
We have just been a comedy of errors so far, to me, a representation of the youth and unfamiliarity of this team. The biggest question has been Petrinos' inability to overcome errors, which was a hallmark of his previous tenures. Or maybe we had so much margin in talent it did not matter. I think maybe the myth has replaced the man, and that he actually is a great coach but prone to the youthful mistakes of a new team as any coach is.
I don't think we are a bad matchup for Clemson at all, the thin line between winning and losing is the holding calls and the blown special teams coverages. The teams we are playing are going to take advantage of our errors, and beat us. We aren't in CUSA anymore. I am not in a panic, I actually am curious to see how the team reacts to the misfortunes of the first 2 games. I really believe we have the talent to beat everyone on our schedule. Whether we have the brains, well, time will tell.

I didn't see the Houston game. I heard a few minutes here and there on the radio. But I think the general concern here about turnovers is missing the broader point of what is plaguing UL.

First, you have no QB. Bonafon has played a half; Bolin has played a half; Jackson has played two halves in two different games. That is three QB's in two games with three distinct styles and, effectively, three different offenses. With no identity on offense, success is hard to find.

Second, line play. Several of you have touched on that here and elsewhere. But, if you want to take a questionable offensive line and make them really bad, don't let them get an understanding of where their QB is going to be on passing plays. See "First" above. And if you want to make them really suck, keep changing up the nature of the blocking schemes in the running game. Ditto.

Third, youth. It is a good thing - for the future. It is never a good thing for now. To the extent UL is emphasizing freshmen QB's and receivers, that bodes well for 2017. It means a large number of mistakes in 2015. Mistakes in route running and reads tends to increase INT's.

Fourth, Grantham. There is a reason Georgia fans breathed a sigh of relief when he left. When he was there, the defense always got the offense the ball back - right after the kickoff. Georgia's punt returner was less utilized than the Maytag repairman. The only OC in the SEC not sorry to see him leave for UL was UK's.

The turnover problem can be fixed somewhat. It won't matter unless at least some of the above-mentioned issues are settled/fixed.

Coming into the season, I thought UL would go 7-5 or 8-4 with losses to Auburn, Clemson, FSU and UK and maybe one more. Maybe Houston is the "one more". We'll see. But, if UL doesn't commit to one QB soon, a bowl is unlikely in my opinion.

I didn't see the Houston game. I heard a few minutes here and there on the radio. But I think the general concern here about turnovers is missing the broader point of what is plaguing UL.

First, you have no QB. Bonafon has played a half; Bolin has played a half; Jackson has played two halves in two different games. That is three QB's in two games with three distinct styles and, effectively, three different offenses. With no identity on offense, success is hard to find.

Second, line play. Several of you have touched on that here and elsewhere. But, if you want to take a questionable offensive line and make them really bad, don't let them get an understanding of where their QB is going to be on passing plays. See "First" above. And if you want to make them really suck, keep changing up the nature of the blocking schemes in the running game. Ditto.

Third, youth. It is a good thing - for the future. It is never a good thing for now. To the extent UL is emphasizing freshmen QB's and receivers, that bodes well for 2017. It means a large number of mistakes in 2015. Mistakes in route running and reads tends to increase INT's.

Fourth, Grantham. There is a reason Georgia fans breathed a sigh of relief when he left. When he was there, the defense always got the offense the ball back - right after the kickoff. Georgia's punt returner was less utilized than the Maytag repairman. The only OC in the SEC not sorry to see him leave for UL was UK's.

The turnover problem can be fixed somewhat. It won't matter unless at least some of the above-mentioned issues are settled/fixed.

Coming into the season, I thought UL would go 7-5 or 8-4 with losses to Auburn, Clemson, FSU and UK and maybe one more. Maybe Houston is the "one more". We'll see. But, if UL doesn't commit to one QB soon, a bowl is unlikely in my opinion.
Ohio State uses several QB's. That in itself is not the problem. The problem is seeing one or two guys run to the ball on tackles and thus the defense being on the field for extended periods then the offense not being in any type of rhythm no matter who is in the game.

Conditioning is everything. Go back and look at the Houston game and see our kids on both sides of the ball with hands on the hips in the first half.

We are lazy and out of shape. Using poor technique in every phase of the game.

Sloppy play by a team that looks lost.

This week will tell us a lot about how this season will play out.

There is a huge difference between Louisville and Ohio State. Ohio State has the exact same playbook for each quarterback. Their offensive line is their best unit and Meyer has said their entire offense demands great OLine play.

The thing that Petrino has always had was a great line. I put some of this on Strong lack of recruiting offensive lineman. I think this year is a transition year for the offense. Tough teams right out of the gate. There are far too many young players on the offense at key spots to have a really consistent offense. Next year it should be much better.

Petrino has to decide what he wants his offense to be bottom line it is either his pro style that made him great or a spread option which he has no experience in coaching. Can't be both.

Defense incredibly disappointed in the defense. They don't attack the offense, they aren't getting tackles for loss, the are letting the offense dictate games, missing tackles and are terrible getting off the field. They have faced some good offenses but they have to stop a Houston team at least once in the fourth quarter.
I would rather play a agressive style of offense than passive.

Reactions: beasleythecard
CardLaw, You are definitely correct about the Georgia Fans. Don't forget BP actually competed against TGs defenses and was impressed. That's why he hired him. Below are the stats for TG's last 3 years at Georgia and last season under the new DC. Georgia's defense statistically really improved last year from the preceding year. But the two prior years Grantham's defensive's stats are very comparable with 2011 being even better. And one thing that has really surprised me about TG is he seems to be a really good recruiter. As for this years defense, don't forget that we lost our entire secondary from last year. And I suspect that has factored into our defensive scheme to date.
We seem to be in big play avoidance/bend but don't break mode. Not giving up on him yet.

2011 2012 2013 2014
Yds Rush 101.2 182.1 148.2 166.8
Yds Pass 177.0 175.6 227.4 170.4
TL Yards 277.2 357.8 375.5 337.2
Pts per GM 20.6 19.6 29.0 20.7

Last edited:
Reactions: beasleythecard
Truth be told I didn't think Geron Christian's block on the Houston DE merited a flag; if it did then Auburn committed the same penalty no less than three times against us. A cut block to a player you are fulling engaged isn't illegal and it looked like a quality block to me.

...but we are a little what I had feared going into the Auburn game; in the era of spread offenses you can't turn the ball over and string together three and outs; at the least you lose field position. At the worst you see what we saw Saturday and that's a monstrous differential in plays from scrimmage. Ultimately it taxed our defense to the extreme especially when you consider that I think Burgess and Kelsey were on the field for every one of them.

The Stats are pretty telling and what they say is this isn't a good football team today. Things could change as the season rolls on but right now they are a train wreck.

Offense
111-lost turnovers with 6
111-sacks allowed
77-total offense
79-scoring offense
The other offensive stats aren't much better. Statistically speaking Auburn and Houston aren't great defenses even though they both have a FCS schools in their numbers.

Defense
110-team sacks
102-tackles for loss
104-rushing defense
76- total defense
113-3rd down defense
The passing defense is OK at 53 and 7th in interceptions which is a little surprising considering they aren't getting to the quarterback. You can spin this anyway you want but this unit isn't getting it done. This screams trouble. You can either bet the guy in front of you or you can't at this point they can't.

It is early and they have played two decent teams but you have to wonder if this is who they really are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT