ADVERTISEMENT

Worst case scenario setting up for bowl games...

Jun 24, 2009
Obviously as most of us expected Clemson is taking care of business at Wake Forest and will win the ACC Atlantic. With that said, like most of the year, Clemson is not putting together a complete game. They played well in the 1st quarter but have played pretty badly in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and if Wake Forest had any sort of offense they would be in this game.

I'm worried the worst case scenario might be setting up for UofL in terms of bowl games. I could easily see Clemson losing to VT or UNC in the ACC Championship game. At that point would UofL still make a New Year's 6 bowl game? I would doubt it as VT or UNC would go to the Orange Bowl and Clemson would be out of the playoff with a 2nd loss. Clemson probably then goes to the Cotton Bowl, or even worse, gets bumped out of the New Year's 6 bowl game. We could easily get bumped down to Taxslayer Bowl in Jacksonville or even the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando. Definitely not what we were all thinking 2 days ago.

Now that Clemson will be in the ACCCG we definitely need to hope that they win the ACC to prevent true chaos in terms of our possible bowl destination.

Obviously as most of us expected Clemson is taking care of business at Wake Forest and will win the ACC Atlantic. With that said, like most of the year, Clemson is not putting together a complete game. They played well in the 1st quarter but have played pretty badly in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and if Wake Forest had any sort of offense they would be in this game.

I'm worried the worst case scenario might be setting up for UofL in terms of bowl games. I could easily see Clemson losing to VT or UNC in the ACC Championship game. At that point would UofL still make a New Year's 6 bowl game? I would doubt it as VT or UNC would go to the Orange Bowl and Clemson would be out of the playoff with a 2nd loss. Clemson probably then goes to the Cotton Bowl, or even worse, gets bumped out of the New Year's 6 bowl game. We could easily get bumped down to Taxslayer Bowl in Jacksonville or even the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando. Definitely not what we were all thinking 2 days ago.

Now that Clemson will be in the ACCCG we definitely need to hope that they win the ACC to prevent true chaos in terms of our possible bowl destination.
until we get a competent line coach and recruit college football players to play the line, the tax slayer bowl and russel athletic bowl will be our home.

make your plans for north carolina

If you're not in the playoffs what difference does it make. The conference shares the profits. Use the extra practice time to get better for next year.

Reactions: American Male
until we get a competent line coach and recruit college football players to play the line, the tax slayer bowl and russel athletic bowl will be our home.

make your plans for north carolina
Why did you only come out from under your rock after the Houston game? Didn't see you complaining about them when were hanging 60 on Florida State.

Here are my scenarios assuming Louisville handles business against Kentucky. If Clemson also wins out Louisville is looking at being in the Orange Bowl against a Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin type of opponent. If Clemson loses to South Carolina and is knocked out of the Playoff but beats Virginia Tech or UNC then Clemson gets the Orange Bowl and Louisvillle would get bumped to the Cotton Bowl against the G5 Representative. If Clemson loses to both South Carolina in the ACC Title Game then Louisville would still get the Cotton Bowl but Clemson would bump to the Tax Slayer or Citrus Bowl. If Clemson beats USC but loses in the ACCT game then Clemson gets the Cotton and Louisville gets the Tax Slayer or Citrus. I think the best case scenario is for Clemson to win out and Louisville to beat Kentucky because that helps every other ACC Bowl team in terms of the trickle down effect.

Last edited:
Here are my scenarios assuming Louisville handles business against Kentucky. If Clemson also wins out Louisville is looking at being in the Orange Bowl against a Michigan, Penn State or Wisconsin type of opponent. If Clemson loses to South Carolina and is knocked out of the Playoff but beats Virginia Tech or UNC then Clemson gets the Orange Bowl and Louisvillle would get bumped to the Cotton Bowl against the G5 Representative. If Clemson loses to both South Carolina in the ACC Title Game then Louisville would still get the Cotton Bowl but Clemson would bump to the Tax Slayer or Citrus Bowl. If Clemson beats USC but loses in the ACCT game then Clemson gets the Cotton and Louisville gets the Tax Slayer or Citrus. I think the best case scenario is for Clemson to win out and Louisville to beat Kentucky because that helps every other ACC Bowl team in terms of the trickle down affect.

Right now would be fine with either Orange Bowl or Citrus Bowl and would actually prefer the Citrus Bowl over the Cotton Bowl vs. a G5 opponent....rather play a SEC School.

Pretty sure a G5 opp would be a lot more fired up for us than the mighty $EC too. (See Houston)

And OTOH, I'm not sure this bunch would be excited about a Cotton or Citrus.

Or me either for that matter.

I'll spend the money to go to Miami and chance a half hearted effort, but not Dallas or Orlando.

We controlled our non playoff bowl destiny and blew it.

Clemson was a heartbreaking, hardfought loss. It was a classic game. No shame in that one, just disappointment. Houston was a complete turd of a game. Nothing but shame. Went from playoff contender to ridicule in 3 hours. We will get what we earned.

Pretty sure a G5 opp would be a lot more fired up for us than the mighty $EC too. (See Houston)

And OTOH, I'm not sure this bunch would be excited about a Cotton or Citrus.

Or me either for that matter.

I'll spend the money to go to Miami and chance a half hearted effort, but not Dallas or Orlando.

Citrus Bowl vs. Auburn, Tennessee or Florida...plus it will be on ABC...

Reactions: SoulSr
I would prefer to play the best opponent out there,the highest ranked one.It's a catch 22.If we get that opponent and win,it catapults the University of Louisville into discussions regarding next season,which is a good thing.Gotta win though.

Liberty Bowl, GMAC Bowl, or Motor City Bowl. Decisions, decisions...

Let's hope Clemson wins out.

Feels weird relying on a program that's given us "Clemsoning."

CxGkH83XgAEqhJe.jpg:large

Clemson wins ACC Championship game: Louisville to Orange Bowl

Virginia Tech/UNC wins ACC Championship game: winner goes to Orange Bowl

Cotton Bowl takes Clemson and they play Western Michigan

Louisville to Gator (Taxslayer) Bowl or Citrus Bowl versus an SEC team likely to be Tennessee or Auburn.

Pretty simple, and none of those scenarios are horrible for Louisville.

Louisville to Gator (Taxslayer) Bowl or Citrus Bowl versus an SEC team likely to be Tennessee or Auburn.

Especially after you remember our choices of yesteryear like Zipp so kindly pointed out.

Reactions: The Public Enemy

Or the Russell Athletic Bowl as well against a Big XII Team....WVU....hhhmmm....Old School Game

Citrus Bowl vs. Auburn, Tennessee or Florida...plus it will be on ABC...
You sure you want another SEC team in a bowl game? A fun fact for you to chew on is that Coach Stoops is undefeated in bowl games as a head coach. Not many P5 coaches who have been at their school for 4 years can say that.

Last edited:

The highest ranking -non ACC champion gets the Orange bowl.
That would be UofL or FSU, as long as Clemson wins out.

The X factor in the bowls is the B1G. It's all up in the air there. If OSU beats Michigan, PENN STATE wins the east. OSU won't even go to the conference championship game. It'll be Penn St vs Somebody. There's your B1G winner, and it's not OSU or Michigan. So OSU is playoff bound with a win over UM, but done for the season. The B1G Champ goes to the Rose Bowl. That leaves #3 ranked Michigan as only getting 3rd in the B1G pecking order. Projections are saying Michigan vs Louisville in Orange.

I'm not sure what the hell would happen if Michigan beats OSU. OSU becomes a 2 loss team behind UM and PSU. UM wins the east based on tie breaker over PSU. You know the committee wants OSU in the playoff. Then what if UM loses in the CC game? You've got OSU and UM with 2 losses and not a conference champ that the committe loves, and a 2 loss Conference champ (Wisconsin or Nebraska) that says they deserve the playoff spot.

So that's three 2 loss teams from the B1G with a legitimate playoff argument if that scenario plays out.

According to the mandate of the committee. their purpose is to pick the 4 best teams in the country. Period.

Very interesting times lay ahead, especially concerning the B1G

The Orange Bowl is the most over rated bowl game in America. At one point in time it was a big bowl. No longer.

It's still just a shade better than the Banjo Bowl in Nashville. Enjoy the cold weather!! LMAO!!:cool:

Music City Bowl improved their tie ins, it's far out of UK land's reach now. Christmas in Shreveport is right up their alley though.

The ACC champion goes to Orange Bowl, (unless in playoffs). What is the other tie in for OB ?

Big Ten or SEC. Projected to be Michigan right now. I guarantee if it's Michigan, that game will have the highest ratings outside of the Playoff games for the entire bowl season.

Big Ten or SEC. Projected to be Michigan right now. I guarantee if it's Michigan, that game will have the highest ratings outside of the Playoff games for the entire bowl season.

What would be so attractive with Michigan in Orange Bowl. (outside of State of Michigan) ?

Most likely be B1G. Florida will go to the Sugar Bowl. That leaves Tenn or LSU.

They're looking for sexy in these games. I'd bet good money the OB people are praying for UofL Michigan. That would be my choice of opponent. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. UM is the best available in this scenario. A win over Tenn won't get you any love. A win over LSU won't get you much. A win over Michigan....... That will get you some love. They'd be hyping the hell out of Lamar vs Jabril Peppers.

They came in second in the SEC east. There are designated bowl options for East #2. OB is one of them.

I hope we get an SEC or B1G team in our Bowl. Win or lose, those are the kinds of teams we need to play to improve our long term national profile.

Playing a G5 team does absolutely nothing for us. No disrespect to those teams, some are very good. But beating them doesn't move the dial and losing sets us back a bit.

At this point, I'd love to play Michigan or OSU in the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: zipp and SoulSr
The bowl season flip flops or changes year to year. I follow college football closely and I cannot name who played in what bowl last year, except for a couple. The Sugar Bowl is my favorite bowl game most years and I cannot remember who played in it last year. Heck, I watched Alabama-Clemson game last year and cannot recall where it was played. The Big 10 has no business playing in any bowl game in the South. Send them up north or out west.

The Orange Bowl is the most over rated bowl game in America. At one point in time it was a big bowl. No longer.

So if hell froze over and your dumpster fire you call cayuts football ever, and I do mean EVER got to an Orange bowl, what would be your spin......

Remember Cards fans when Scat fans made fun of Louisville for going to Liberty bowls. Now that SuCkS has gonevto a couple, theyre praying to go back to Memphis, instead of Birmingham or Shreveport. 6-7 await the big blew losers. Again..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT