ADVERTISEMENT

WKU to AAC???

I like it. WKU has a decent bball program and with the right coach their fball can be competitive in that league. It would be a step up from CUSA.

As a Hilltoppers alum, I have difficulty with all of the conference changes they have made. It’s hard to know who their true rivals are. EKU, Middle Tenn, Cincinnati??

I do not have any problem with WKU being interested in the AAC but is their football stadium large enough? I’m thinking that it only seats around 22,000. Of course Cincy has years when that’s about what they average in attendance.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless Amerca!!!

I do not have any problem with WKU being interested in the AAC but is their football stadium large enough? I’m thinking that it only seats around 22,000. Of course Cincy has years when that’s about what they average in attendance.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless Amerca!!!
It is large enough to satisfy D-I requirements and they average more than some existing AAC members.

Reactions: gocds
I figured they would take a stab at it. WKUs football stadium would be the smallest but it’s not like the AAC packs them in.

Cincinnati media listed potential additions and did not include WKU. Among those mentioned were Air Force, Army, Boise State, Brigham Young, Georgia State, UAB and UNC Charlotte. I can't see how a Mountain Time Zone school could afford to send their teams to the east coast to play conference games. Especially in the non revenue sports.

Cincinnati media listed potential additions and did not include WKU. Among those mentioned were Air Force, Army, Boise State, Brigham Young, Georgia State, UAB and UNC Charlotte. I can't see how a Mountain Time Zone school could afford to send their teams to the east coast to play conference games. Especially in the non revenue sports.

BYU, lol, why didn’t they list ND. They have about equal chance, which is zero. WKU would be far better than Charlotte. Georgia State? Really I’m not sure any on that list is realistic maybe Air Force or Army. WKU in my opinion would be a better or more realistic selection than any of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
BYU, lol, why didn’t they list ND. They have about equal chance, which is zero. WKU would be far better than Charlotte. Do they even have FB? Georgia State? Really I’m not sure any on that list is realistic maybe Air Force or Army. WKU in my opinion would be a better or more realistic selection than any of those.
WKU doesn't have the Media market those other schools would provide.

BYU, lol, why didn’t they list ND. They have about equal chance, which is zero. WKU would be far better than Charlotte. Do they even have FB? Georgia State? Really I’m not sure any on that list is realistic maybe Air Force or Army. WKU in my opinion would be a better or more realistic selection than any of those.
WKU doesn't have the Media market those other schools would provide.

Charlotte although a decent size city does not have a large fan base nor does Georgia ST. But I will agree Charlotte is the largest market on that list. Army and AF yes but BYU isn’t joining the AAC.

We played Charlotte in 2016.

One school never mentioned is Southern Miss. They are still exiled off in C-USA. The only founding member of C-USA left. I know they don’t have a large media market but is Greenville, NC really that big? It’s like Southern Miss is stuck in 1984. No upgrades to facilities or programs ranked in anything. It’s like they gave up. All the $$ in that state goes to Old Miss and Miss State.

We played Charlotte in 2016.

Lol. Yep I was there. Old age sucks

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Charlotte although a decent size city does not have a large fan base nor does Georgia ST. But I will agree Charlotte is the largest market on that list. Army and AF yes but BYU isn’t joining the AAC.
Isn't Georgia State in Atlanta? That not exactly a small market.

Georgia State is actually a pretty likely candidate. It is an urban campus (Atlanta) with a huge enrollment (32,000 with a total of 52,000 across its network). They are making strides with their athletic programs and happen to reside in an area of the country that is expanding its population base.

As a Hilltoppers alum, I have difficulty with all of the conference changes they have made. It’s hard to know who their true rivals are. EKU, Middle Tenn, Cincinnati??
The good old days of when Murray and WKU were rivals! And then WKU exploded with growth and becomes a ranked FBS team and Murray plays in a single sided stadium still.

Well basketball could continue but some school in BG didn't like all the losses the Racers were handing them towards the end.

I’m guessing WKU is too close to Cincinnati to be considered for admission to the AAC. The Bearcats won’t want competition for area football recruits from another conference member if they can prevent it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman
I’m guessing WKU will be considered too close to Cincinnati to be considered for admission to the AAC. The Bearcats won’t want competition for area football recruits from another conference member if they can prevent it.
MTSU would be the most viable.

20k enrollment. The biggest school in the Nashville market. 30k stadium. They've been to a bowl game 5 of the last 6 years, so they aren't a bad team either.

I think adding the 2nd best football program in the state of Kentucky to the AAC would be a good choice!

I’d say the AAC adds...

1. Nobody
2. Southern Miss
3. Georgia State
4. UAB
5. Middle Tennessee
6. Western Kentucky
7. Nobody
8. Nobody
9. Nobody
10. One of many schools in Florida

Hope it’s WKU, bro. They’d get good sports (post Sanford football will be much better), a dumb passionate fan base and the Nashville/Louisville markets. Seems better bets than UAB and some others, bro.

Wouldn’t count Marshall out. They got a power five following in their worthless ass state and are rogue enough to fit in, bro.

Ok, I’ll bite ... in 2018 UK beat UofL, and we beat WKU (barely), so the most recent data says WKU is no better than third.

Louisville was on the ropes against WKU last season right? I heard WKU gave it away with a blown call by the former HC Sanford.

Louisville was on the ropes against WKU last season right? I heard WKU gave it away with a blown call by the former HC Sanford.
Spoken like a true loser.

You either get the job done or you don’t. You either get into a big boy conference, or you come to a better program’s message board and press your face against the glass hoping to get noticed.

Spoken like a true loser.

You either get the job done or you don’t. You either get into a big boy conference, or you come to a better program’s message board and press your face against the glass hoping to get noticed.

Bro, you know this bum was watching this game on TV, wishing that his high school AAC team was on television. SMMFH bro, this loser just wants to live through us.

Hope it’s WKU, bro. They’d get good sports (post Sanford football will be much better), a dumb passionate fan base and the Nashville/Louisville markets. Seems better bets than UAB and some others, bro.

Wouldn’t count Marshall out. They got a power five following in their worthless ass state and are rogue enough to fit in, bro.

As a Nashville resident, and Bowling Green native, WKU has zero market share in Nashville. College sports fandom in Nashville is relatively small with the Preds and Titans and when there are people actually watching college sports it's 1) Tennessee, 2) Vandy, and 3) MTSU.

As a Nashville resident, and Bowling Green native, WKU has zero market share in Nashville. College sports fandom in Nashville is relatively small with the Preds and Titans and when there are people actually watching college sports it's 1) Tennessee, 2) Vandy, and 3) MTSU.

Nah bro WKU is up there with MTSU. Agreed with the other stuff though.

1 city for wku alums, wku coaches regularly on local Nashville radio, traditionally wku’s primary recruiting area, wku’s second home field. They aren’t selling shit out but they have as much of a base there as mtsu at least, bro.

I lived in Nashville for 17 years. I went to grad school at MTSU. MTSU has zero fanbase. Students walking around campus wear UT, Alabama, and other SEC gear. Nobody goes to MTSU football or basketball games. Louisville had more fans in Nashville when they played MTSU at the Titans Stadium.

This is Nashville’s fanbase...
1). Titans
2). Preds
3). UT
4). Alabama
5). Vandy

The worst fans in Nashville were Alabama football/Kentucky basketball fans. There were plenty of those. :rolleyes:

I lived in Nashville for 17 years. I went to grad school at MTSU. MTSU has zero fanbase. Students walking around campus wear UT, Alabama, and other SEC gear. Nobody goes to MTSU football or basketball games. Louisville had more fans in Nashville when they played MTSU at the Titans Stadium.

1). Titans
2). Preds
3). UT
4). Alabama
5). Vandy

The worst fans in Nashville were Alabama football/Kentucky basketball fans. There were plenty of those. :rolleyes:

1). Titans
2). Preds
3). UT
4). Alabama
5). Vandy

That’s what I’m saying, bro. Got fam in Nashville and BG. MTSU is straight garbage. WKU is bigger down in town than those bums.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I’d venture to say that UofL will have more fans in Nashville than WKU even though Bowling Green is 100 miles closer. Just look at the attendance at their football games and you’ll see exactly what I’m saying. Even though the AAC ain’t nothing special they will have no interest in WKU. In fact, I’d say that they will have more interest in MTSU because of the closeness to the Nashville TV market. But in that regard I’d say that either UAB (Birmingham/Alabama market) or Southern Miss (interest in football success) would be ahead of WKU or MTSU as far as the AAC is concerned.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

That’s what I’m saying, bro. Got fam in Nashville and BG. MTSU is straight garbage. WKU is bigger down in town than those bums.
You guys can say whatever you want, but a huge part of the people who live in Murfreesboro work in Nashville, I would say the reason there were more Louisville fans in Nashville is because it's actually an event and chance to visit a new city. MTSU fans are in Nashville every day, why pay more to go see their team lose to Louisville, when they can just wait for a game at their own stadium?

I can honestly say that in the 15 years I have lived in Nashville, I could count the number of WKU logos I've seen on one hand. They just don't exist.

You guys can say whatever you want, but a huge part of the people who live in Murfreesboro work in Nashville, I would say the reason there were more Louisville fans in Nashville is because it's actually an event and chance to visit a new city. MTSU fans are in Nashville every day, why pay more to go see their team lose to Louisville, when they can just wait for a game at their own stadium?

I can honestly say that in the 15 years I have lived in Nashville, I could count the number of WKU logos I've seen on one hand. They just don't exist.

Nobody. Goes. To. Their. Games.

My first year at MTSU, they hosted Minnesota. There were more Gopher fans tailgating and at the game. Nobody cares.

I know plenty of Western fans that live in Nashville. Davidson, Robertson, and Sumner Counties in Tennessee get in state tuition to go to WKU.

MTSU had an enrollment of 28,000 with a 31k seat stadium. They average around 15k-20k a game over the years.

WKU was at 24,000. WKU seats 22k. They average around 15-20k a game...has been better in recent years do to their success.

So they're about the same...I'd say WKU is a bit better at supporting their teams and MTSU has a better enrollment. But...conference officials don't care about 1,00 fans here or there that show up to games.

Conferences only care about TV Markets and the city they reside. MTSU is basically in Nashville. Nashville has an airport. Teams and fans would rather travel to Nashville for games. Nashville has corporations with tons of sponsorship dollars that are coming in every day. Has a large stadium and arena for possible conference tournaments/title games.

Maybe fan interest isn't the best now...but a step up in competition changes things from money and opponents they will play. Nashville has 4 local television stations that get strong ratings...all cover MTSU. They have 2 of the best sports talk radio stations in the nation. It's a big sports town...and you get Houston, Memphis, Cincy, and even Wichita for basketball? They'll cover it and the city will watch the game. The needle can be moved.

BG is a great program and WKU is growing...but BG is not Nashville. It doesn't have the potential to move the ratings needle. It isn't a travel destination.

The AAC currently has...Cincinnati, Houston, Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Philadelphia, Tampa, Tulsa, and Wichita. The only real small city is Greenville, NC...but even Greenville is larger than BG. Nashville as a market is a better fit. None of those schools have large market shares in those cities outside of 3-4...but still the market can care on a random Thursday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT