ADVERTISEMENT

Wish I had the same confidence in Mack that I do Satterfield

CardsvsCats2019

One-Star Poster
Nov 23, 2019
I really do. I loved the Satterfield hire from Day 1. Couldn't believe Vince was able to get the guy and knew we had a future star in the coaching ranks on our hands. Unfortunately, i wasn't a fan of the Mack hire at all. I truly feel like Satterfield is going to win big here, win consistently here, eventually hoist an ACC title, and get this program into the playoffs. I just can't bring myself to have the same confidence in CCM. A couple of my buddies feel the same way that I do, but the majority of them are like the majority of you here. They believe in Mack. I've tried to listen to these guys and buy in, but then Duke happens, or Minnesota, or Texas Tech, or Kentucky. I just never feel confident going into big games with this staff. Whereas, I feel the complete opposite with Satterfield & Co. I want to believe in Mack. I really do, because frankly, basketball isn't much fun otherwise.

Does anyone else feel the way that I do, or am I just a cynical asshole that needs to trust and stfu?

I really do. I loved the Satterfield hire from Day 1. Couldn't believe Vince was able to get the guy and knew we had a future star in the coaching ranks on our hands. Unfortunately, i wasn't a fan of the Mack hire at all. I truly feel like Satterfield is going to win big here, win consistently here, eventually hoist an ACC title, and get this program into the playoffs. I just can't bring myself to have the same confidence in CCM. A couple of my buddies feel the same way that I do, but the majority of them are like the majority of you here. They believe in Mack. I've tried to listen to these guys and buy in, but then Duke happens, or Minnesota, or Texas Tech, or Kentucky. I just never feel confident going into big games with this staff. Whereas, I feel the complete opposite with Satterfield & Co. I want to believe in Mack. I really do, because frankly, basketball isn't much fun otherwise.

Does anyone else feel the way that I do, or am I just a cynical asshole that needs to trust and stfu?
Then K-State, Utah and of course Evansville happened just to name a few get the f ouuta here take that bs to ksr.

Then K-State, Utah and of course Evansville happened just to name a few get the f ouuta here take that bs to ksr.

Yeah, you got me. I'm a Kentucky fan. Or maybe, just maybe, you're overly sensitive and incapable of discussing opinions you disagree with, without having an emotional breakdown. I take it you don't, and likely never will, work in a professional environment.

Dudes a thug. You don’t just move to Lexington and the hood suddenly leaves you. Especially when the coaches encourage it.

If we can keep the majority of this staff together (which I believe we will), and stay relatively injury free, the next 5 years are going to be one hell of a ride for this fanbase.

His play this year was nothing short of phenomenal. Unbelievable how much he improved under Ponce & Satterfield. Can't wait to see what he does next year. Our offense should be crazy good.

Freakin LOVE this staff and can't wait to see what they do next season with the depth coming in from the redshirts in the 2019 class, signees in the 2020 class & the talent returning on offense. Satt is so creative with the offensive play calling. Hell, I personally think he's more impressive than Petrino in that regard, to be honest. Love the way he uses shifts on the line to create openings in the run game, and various formations to disguise guys sneaking out of the backfield. So much fun to watch. Cunningham. Hawkins, Ford and Atwell are going to be even more lethal with a full season of this system under their belts.

I'm also excited to see how the defense progresses under Bryan Brown. Regardless of the naysayers, Brown is a stud and he will eventually produce a Top 20 defense here. I am confident of that. Just needs to get some talent and depth in here via recruiting, which they are doing.

When does spring ball start, March 1st? Cannot wait.

Enjoy your wins against while you can because as soon as Satt gets a full roster of his players in here, it’s your all’s ass. Satt & Co will coach circles around Big Sugar Cone.

Last edited:
I like both coaches.

And I don't think "Vince" personally has much to do with either one being here. I just hope he starts generating enough money to KEEP them...

I like Coach Mack and hope he has what it takes to be UofLs next coach for a long time. However, taking over after two Hall of Fame coaches is a tough act to follow for just about anyone.

We, as UofL fans, have been fortunate over so many years to witness two high caliber coaches, in Crum and Pitino, coach our team for so long. I mean look at the coaching carousel at some other programs.

Now add to that, the bad situation CCM walked into here. There are very few coaches that could have done significantly better given what unfolded here over the last few years and they weren't realistic options to take over.

Now is Mack perfect? Nope. Does he have areas he needs to improve in? Definitely. Does he need to prove he can win big in the NCAAT? Yes, he does. But I'm willing to give him time to prove himself.

I like Coach Mack and hope he has what it takes to be UofLs next coach for a long time. However, taking over after two Hall of Fame coaches is a tough act to follow for just about anyone.

We, as UofL fans, have been fortunate over so many years to witness two high caliber coaches, in Crum and Pitino, coach our team for so long. I mean witness the coaching carousel at some other programs.

Now add to that, the bad situation CCM walked into here. There are very few coaches that could have done significantly better given what unfolded here over the last few years and they weren't realistic options to take over.

Now is Mack perfect? Nope. Does he have areas he needs to improve in? Definitely. Does he need to prove he can win big in the NCAAT? Yes, he does. But I'm willing to give him time to prove himself.

Good post. My concern is this is probably going to be his most talented team in at least a few years, and right now we don’t look like a team capable of beating four quality teams to get to Atlanta. Then we lose Nwora, Enoch, Sutton, and McMahon after the season and replace them with a 2019 class that isn’t seeing the floor much & a 2020 class with a couple fringe Top 100 guys. Next year could be a big step back and if recruiting doesn’t pick up, it could be several years before we have as much talent as we do today. And frankly, I’m just not confident Mack is good enough to coach up fringe 100 guys and beat the likes of Duke, UNC, Florida St, UVA, Kentucky, etc. So I almost look at it like, this is the year to make hay.

We, as UofL fans, have been fortunate over so many years to witness two high caliber coaches, in Crum and Pitino, coach our team for so long. I mean look at the coaching carousel at some other programs.

I agree that this is a good post, although I will say it wasn’t a bad situation to come into as some think. Mack has already had us ranked as #1 in less than 2 years. I think in his years at Xavier he had really good teams but the question was could he reach that level along with Jay Wright. And even Tony Bennett. He’s got great fans, facilities and the environment to be really successful. I guess it depends on what your definition of really successful is. Go Cards!

Reactions: zipp
A $4 million dollar basketball gig at Louisville would not be a tough decision or a bad move for most coaches...

Reactions: nccardfan
I like both coaches.

And I don't think "Vince" personally has much to do with either one being here. I just hope he starts generating enough money to KEEP them...
Spot on as usual. I heard Tyra didn’t even hire either one of them. :rolleyes:

Reactions: CardsFirst
Even you could have hired those guys--assuming you similarly failed at landing the football coach you wanted...

Even you could have hired those guys--assuming you similarly failed at landing the football coach you wanted...
Tyra acknowledged the connection with the university and fan base and even called brohm a great option depending on the timing (and using sound fiscal judgment - price) but, never once said that brohm was his choice and he sure didn’t pursue him like he was.

Face it - Tyra hired the better coach and saved the university millions while doing so. Conversely TJ re-hired a guy no one at the P5 level was interested in and severely overpaid costing the university millions.

If that wasn’t so wordy - I’d put it on a t-shirt.

I like Mack. I don't think he ever had this much talent on a roster at Xavier and he seems to be be struggling trying to find a cohesive way to use it here. I am willing to give him time to evolve as a better game coach. GO CARDS

I was at the game today with very good seats. We don’t have the horses - plain and simple. Our guard play is very mediocre. We can’t separate in the half court. We’re a top 25 team and that is that this year. We can’t take anyone off the dribble. If we get to the round of 16 we’ll be fortunate. We’ve been exposed and teams are taking advantage of our weaknesses. The honeymoon is over for Mack but it’s way too early to judge him.

Tyra acknowledged the connection with the university and fan base and even called brohm a great option depending on the timing (and using sound fiscal judgment - price) but, never once said that brohm was his choice and he sure didn’t pursue him like he was.

Face it - Tyra hired the better coach and saved the university millions while doing so. Conversely TJ re-hired a guy no one at the P5 level was interested in and severely overpaid costing the university millions.

If that wasn’t so wordy - I’d put it on a t-shirt.

In Satterfield We Trust

Hard to judge him at this point. The biggest concern is he hasn’t been able to land guards especially point guards. Is that a NCAA cloud issue or something else. Lord knows he has plenty of playing time offer. Have to get the NCAA issue in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: Louisvillian
We get to find out how good Mack is...as of today. Way too early to be slicing and dicing. Many past Cardinal teams have struggled in January.

This team, in my opinion, hasn’t done a thing this year. If that Michigan win is the crowning achievement (and it is), then we have yet to play well. Maybe we just need to confront the reality that we aren’t that good? With Perry, RM, and “Fresh” seeing big minutes how good can you be???

This is basically the same team as last year, in terms of who is on the court. That team was decent but tended to disappear at times. I never was sure with the preseason hype, it seemed unwarranted. This is a good, Top 25 team, if they go to the Sweet Sixteen then that is a good year. No more, no less.

although I will say it wasn’t a bad situation to come into as some think.

If all of this NCAA stuff was over and finished with I'd agree with you. However, it's not over yet. I believe NCAA will take their (2nd) pound of flesh from UofL, and history leaves me no reason to think otherwise.

And that threat still looms large and will continue to linger about until it happens. And until that last part of negativity is finally done, the bad situation isn't over quite yet.

This is basically the same team as last year, in terms of who is on the court. That team was decent but tended to disappear at times. I never was sure with the preseason hype, it seemed unwarranted. This is a good, Top 25 team, if they go to the Sweet Sixteen then that is a good year. No more, no less.

We’re just another victim of the media hype machine.

We are severely lacking with guard play to compete at a championship level. Hopefully Mack can get David Johnson solid time so he can develop quickly, because we need that kid to step up big if we want to make a tourney run.

I think you’re right when you say making a sweet sixteen would make this a good year.

If all of this NCAA stuff was over and finished with I'd agree with you. However, it's not over yet. I believe NCAA will take their (2nd) pound of flesh from UofL, and history leaves me no reason to think otherwise.

And that threat still looms large and will continue to linger about until it happens. And until that last part of negativity is finally done, the bad situation isn't over quite yet.
I guess that’s why we differ. I am not allowing the FBI stuff to even enter into my thinking. When it happens, it happens and then we adjust and adapt. Most if not all of these players were not involved and it’s not fair to not fully embraced them as U of L Cardinals. Just like any other season, I want this team to go as far as they can, heart, ability and a whole lot of luck, which is generally the recipe for success.

It's that team plus a group of freshmen who were overrated coming into the season. Nothing wrong with them as freshmen, what was wrong is what fans thought they were bringing to the table as freshmen.

The rationale beyond that was that the returnees had made big strides between last season and this one. That should always be a "show me" issue whenever it's raised about any upperclassmen.

If Mack is a great coach, these guys will start playing better as a team. Otherwise, we're seeing most of what we're gonna get...

I
It's that team plus a group of freshmen who were overrated coming into the season. Nothing wrong with them as freshmen, what was wrong is what fans thought they were bringing to the table as freshmen.

The rationale beyond that was that the returnees had made big strides between last season and this one. That should always be a "show me" issue whenever it's raised about any upperclassmen.

If Mack is a great coach, these guys will start playing better as a team. Otherwise, we're seeing most of what we're gonna get...

I agree with most of this except for your opinion of Mack. I’ll venture to say Mack needs at least two more years before we can really evaluate him as coach, let him get his guys in for his system. Mack is in his 11th year as a HC, 2nd year at a big time program, he took a chance on us with a few big scandals and he’s dealing with that with recruiting. Patience will hopefully pay off for us.

Reactions: shadow force
I agree with Mack needing 2 more years before I have an opinion. When I read this thread and other threads I am confused by some of these opinions. First we have fans saying they lost some interest because of all the stuff that was going on before MacK. Then there upset because Mack hasn’t done better. This is only his 2nd year give the guy a chance.

Let’s all remember Pitino had 3 game losing streaks while he was here and the teams finished out pretty strong. FSU had a great game against us and we couldn’t buy a bucket that happens. The only performance Inhave been disappointed in was the game against sUcK.

Only when the youngsters have been incorporated into the makeup of this team and we get to see that product, will it be time to judge this team and its Coach.
It hasn't happened yet.

This. I would actually feel a bit relieved if the NCAA just hit us with a ban this season and get it over with. Then at least we could go into next season with no more storm cloud over our heads.

So much negativity in this thread. Mack hasn’t even gotten a chance to bring a couple classes in here and develop him the way he wants. We’re on year 2 of playing grad transfers as major contributors at guard and playing Ryan major minutes who should realistically be a solid spark off the bench when he’s hitting shots. Clearly Perry and Mack don’t see eye to eye because Mack came out and said last year maybe his program isn’t for Darius but Darius stuck it out and stayed. The root of our problems come from the guard positions. David is going to be a Star here but he needs time just like Williamson does. Nwora wasn’t anything as a freshman nobody saw this from him. When do we ever get major production from freshman? Once every 5 years? Give Mack some time you all are crazy why do you think all the smart National guys love Chris Mack and say he’s a superstar on the rise in the field. But I’m sure you all on here on the forums know better then them. Detach from the emotion of fandom and be rational

If only he'd hired Chad Morris, Pat Narduzzi or Rich Rod at that point in time, who knows what might have happened...

Last edited:
I have no interest in seeing Mack go anywhere until a lot more is proven or dis-proven. But there's another pretty big reason why that CAN'T happen unless he finds a gig he likes better...

IIRC, he has a similar three year clause in his contract that Petrino did. That means anytime in the near future that you want to send him packing--and remember "Vince" agreed to automatically extend his contract for any duration of NCAA probation--you gotta come up with ANOTHER $12 million to buy out this guy.

And remember most of the big U of L donors who could make that happen easily hit the road a long time ago.

You better hope like I do that Mack doesn't start resembling Archie Miller, Steve Alford, or Chris Mullin anytime soon...

Looking at the season, so far, you notice a series of events that have led us to this point. First, an unexpected loss to Texas Tech which appeared to be an outlier at the time. The Cards just didn’t look like themselves that night. That loss had to put a chink in their confidence. Next was a way too long lay-off before the UK game. I never see these long court absences as a good thing...rust...rhythm. Then the OT loss to UK followed by another long layoff before a strong UFS team, again, rust, rhythm issues. Basically, it’s been a perfect storm that has our guys second guessing, playing without a normal flow and wounded confidence-wise. Let’s see what happens when they get back to a normal game schedule and the confidence comes back (and it will). We know this team can play, they’ve shown it.
Peace, and a great new year to everyone.

Looking at the season, so far, you notice a series of events that have led us to this point. First, an unexpected loss to Texas Tech which appeared to be an outlier at the time. The Cards just didn’t look like themselves that night. That loss had to put a chink in their confidence. Next was a way too long lay-off before the UK game. I never see these long court absences as a good thing...rust...rhythm. Then the OT loss to UK followed by another long layoff before a strong UFS team, again, rust, rhythm issues. Basically, it’s been a perfect storm that has our guys second guessing, playing without a normal flow and wounded confidence-wise. Let’s see what happens when they get back to a normal game schedule and the confidence comes back (and it will). We know this team can play, they’ve shown it.
Peace, and a great new year to everyone.

I agree that the extended time off certainly didn't help things. Having only 2 games in almost 20 days couldn't help but leave the team a bit rusty. I'm hoping to see them regain their rhythm with the schedule picking back up. Not blaming the losses solely on the down time but it didn't help.

Reactions: OlhamCardinal
I disagree that days off have that much affect on these players. They’re not laying on the couch doing nothing. Coaches will tell you that they don’t get enough practices in during the season because of always playing games. Remember the Sat., Monday/Wed Sat/Sunday schedules. You don’t correct mistakes in games. You don’t make drastic changes from one game to the next unless you have had a chance to work on things.
Now the question is did we keep the practices the same or did we run DJ at the point, etc. getting more time to correct your deficiencies should not be used as a excuse. We have enough bodies to try several different combinations in practice.

BPGhost said:

zipp said:

I like both coaches.

And I don't think "Vince" personally has much to do with either one being here. I just hope he starts generating enough money to KEEP them...[/quote]

[/quote]
Baby steps BP he did say he liked both coaches. He probably choked when typed that.

Reactions: BPGhost
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT