ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rick ever coach a D-1 School again?

I think Zipp is a great uofl fan.
He is always giving his opinion.
I don't care if I agree with his opinions or not.

If he wishes to coach again, he will. I expect him go back to his roots, to land at possibly a Big East school. For instance, if St. John’s decides to head in a different direction.

If we take his own word on it, then no. When he was in his 50's, he said he couldn't see himself coaching in his 60's.

That means he'll be coaching soon and probably coach into his 70's or even 80's.

It depends on what comes out of all of this. I mean if he's shown to be connected to this probe in any way he'll have a 10+ year show cause and thus effectively ending any chance he'll have to coach again.

I mean he's 65 with 3 embarrassing scandals on his resume....If cleared he might coach again somewhere outside the P5 but then again it would come down to how much he missed coaching because at his age there would be no real reason to get back into coaching. I'm just not sure any athletic director from a P5 school would sign off on hiring someone with the baggage that Pitino brings. I think even the biggest Rick fans on the board probably agree that Louisville is the only place in the country where he could have survived Sypher and without a doubt was the only school where he could have survived Sypher and Powell....now with the FBI probe attached to his legacy I just don't think any legit athletic director would take the hit to hire Rick.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
If there is any kind of show cause then I'd say no because of his age. However even if he can only get hired at a small school and not win big, I can see him wanting to end his career that way instead of like this.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Depends on how this current situation plays out.

If he is cleared, I think we see him on the sidelines again somewhere. I would think a school in the northeast or out west wreaking havoc.

You better believe there are some schools that will be willing to hire him.

It depends on what comes out of all of this. I mean if he's shown to be connected to this probe in any way he'll have a 10+ year show cause and thus effectively ending any chance he'll have to coach again.

I mean he's 65 with 3 embarrassing scandals on his resume....If cleared he might coach again somewhere outside the P5 but then again it would come down to how much he missed coaching because at his age there would be no real reason to get back into coaching. I'm just not sure any athletic director from a P5 school would sign off on hiring someone with the baggage that Pitino brings. I think even the biggest Rick fans on the board probably agree that Louisville is the only place in the country where he could have survived Sypher and without a doubt was the only school where he could have survived Sypher and Powell....now with the FBI probe attached to his legacy I just don't think any legit athletic director would take the hit to hire Rick.
I’m absolutely not a “big Rick fan” but the list of schools that he would have been fired from for the sypher situation would stop after Notre Dame and BYU. You’re kidding yourself to believe otherwise.

Reactions: arizan
I’m absolutely not a “big Rick fan” but the list of schools that he would have been fired from for the sypher situation would stop after Notre Dame and BYU. You’re kidding yourself to believe otherwise.

Seriously? I wholeheartedly disagree.

He may have survived a few places for the Sypher thing (I doubt that, but will concede it) but honest to God don't think there's another school in the country that would have kept him after Sypher and Powell.

Seriously? I wholeheartedly disagree.

He may have survived a few places for the Sypher thing (I doubt that, but will concede it) but honest to God don't think there's another school in the country that would have kept him after Sypher and Powell.
Seriously.

Can you provide a list of successful D1 coaches who’ve been fired for adultery? Again - I’m not a fan of RP - but this one time indiscretion only came to light because sypher’s blackmail attempts of which pitino was the victim.

Though I’ll grant you that the list of schools that would’ve fired him after the powell situation would have gone up dramatically - it still (IMO) would have been about 50-50.

Seriously.

Can you provide a list of successful D1 coaches who’ve been fired for adultery? Again - I’m not a fan of RP - but this one time indiscretion only came to light because sypher’s blackmail attempts of which pitino was the victim.

Though I’ll grant you that the list of schools that would’ve fired him after the powell situation would have gone up dramatically - it still (IMO) would have been about 50-50.

I mean, I'm not arguing with you or trying to convince you. I just found it surprising is all. The opinion of myself and my little group of Louisville friends has always been that Louisville is the only school in the country that would have tolerated the level of embarrassment the Sypher scandal had on the University....personally I still think its the most embarrassing and "fire-able" thing he's done at UL because of his direct connection and the details around the incident.

I don’t think a lot of schools would’ve fired him after the Sypher situation but very few would’ve given him a raise and an extension less than three months after it came to light.

I mean, I'm not arguing with you or trying to convince you. I just found it surprising is all. The opinion of myself and my little group of Louisville friends has always been that Louisville is the only school in the country that would have tolerated the level of embarrassment the Sypher scandal had on the University....personally I still think its the most embarrassing and "fire-able" thing he's done at UL because of his direct connection and the details around the incident.
No worries - we’re just talking and it’s ok to not agree. I must admit that I don’t feel as though I’ve got a good handle on other schools when it comes to situations like this - the only thing that I can go on is what has occurred. If it wasn’t pitino - a top 5, HOF coach - and instead a Buzz Williams guy - I’d agree that they probably would’ve got canned.

What’s the old saying? It’s the pretty girl that gets kissed.

If he still wants to coach, I think P5 is out. There are a lot of non-P5 schools out there that might take a chance. Mostly schools who have nothing to lose. Think Larry Brown at SMU, and further back, Jerry Tarkanian at Fresno State.

I think next year we will be seeing him back on the sidelines somewhere.

Definitely not next year, too much is yet to be resolved. After it is resolved, whether or not he coaches depends on if the NCAA puts a show-cause on him.

Even then, the national opinion of Rick Pitino is that he's the coach that buys hookers for underage recruits and their dads, and also buys players. Your average basketball fan sees the Louisville bench and thinks everyone one of those players received money and also tapped those ugly, nasty, stank skanky trick-ass ho's. People are going to tune in this season and wonder why any of those Louisville players are allowed to play, because they all are guilty and should not be eligible. That's the perception of Rick Pitino.

Last edited:
Definitely not next year, too much is yet to be resolved. After it is resolved, whether or not he coaches depends on if the NCAA puts a show-cause on him.

Even then, the national opinion of Rick Pitino is that he's the coach that buys hookers for underage recruits and their dads, and also buys players. Your average basketball fan sees the Louisville bench and thinks everyone one of those players received money and also tapped those ugly, nasty, stank skanky trick-ass ho's. People are going to tune in this season and wonder why any of those Louisville players are allowed to play, because they all are guilty and should not be eligible. That's the perception of Rick Pitino.

Exactly. Its why I don't ever expect him to coach again. Pitino's legacy is forever tainted regardless of what comes out of the investigation. Sypher, Powell, Bowen....three major scandals that's attached to his name regardless of his level of involvement. I would be absolutely stunned if any P5 AD even considered him at this point regardless of the outcome of the investigation.

Exactly. Its why I don't ever expect him to coach again. Pitino's legacy is forever tainted regardless of what comes out of the investigation. Sypher, Powell, Bowen....three major scandals that's attached to his name regardless of his level of involvement. I would be absolutely stunned if any P5 AD even considered him at this point regardless of the outcome of the investigation.

The team this year is very talented (we all better enjoy it, because it will go downhill quick after). Let's say they go to the Final Four or even win the title. All we're going to hear is scandal. People will say the FF or the title isn't legitimate because they players all received hookers and money from Rick Pitino and should not even be playing.

Larry Brown. Jim Harrick. Billy Gillispie. Eddie Sutton.

Pitino does not have a show cause as I have heard. If he wishes, I bet his agent could find a spot.
Not next year. Not power 5.

Marv Albert wore women’s underwear and admitted it and he’s back announcing NBA games. Greg Anthony solicited a prostitute and is back as a studio analyst for the NBA Network.

Rick will coach again if he wants to, they’ll be plenty of offers by mid-March.

Marv Albert wore women’s underwear and admitted it and he’s back announcing NBA games. Greg Anthony solicited a prostitute and is back as a studio analyst for the NBA Network.

Rick will coach again if he wants to, they’ll be plenty of offers by mid-March.
NBA is different no moral standards. I believe CRP will coach again but I think the offers will be few as a leader of young college athletes. The institution that hires Rick will take a lot of scrutiny. How many AD’s want that on their school?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT