ADVERTISEMENT

Will Jeff Brohm ever coach at Louisville again?

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
Football talk is slow right now. Just wonder what you thoughts on this are. No problems with Bobby Petrino here. Just wonder how long he stays our coach. And would Jeff be the logical replacement. I think both our solid coaches. But Jeff is Louisville born and raised, plus he is a Cardinal Letterman and Louisville alumina. Again your thoughts and please do not trash either coach.

I think it will all come down to timing. When does Bobby leave? Who knows. I don't think JB will be at Purdue very long. 2 or 3 years max. Lets say he is there 2 more years and then gets a better job at a Power 5 School. I don't think JB is the kind of guy that's going to leave a school, even for his alma mater after only being there a year or two. So under that scenario I think we are 6 or 7 years out before the timing might be right, unless BP leaves for whatever reason in the next 2 or 3 years.

I think it will all come down to timing. When does Bobby leave? Who knows. I don't think JB will be at Purdue very long. 2 or 3 years max. Lets say he is there 2 more years and then gets a better job at a Power 5 School. I don't think JB is the kind of guy that's going to leave a school, even for his alma mater after only being there a year or two. So under that scenario I think we are 6 or 7 years out before the timing might be right, unless BP leaves for whatever reason in the next 2 or 3 years.
How long was he at Western before leaving for Purdue?

Reactions: wilkie01
It would depend on two things:

1. How badly does he want to come “home”, and

2. Where are we at that time?

Does CBP retire, or get fired? Are we at a point to keep building, or do we have to rebuild?

Many factors involved.

In the near future, Brohm would be crazy to jeopardize what he has going at Purdue. He's making serious coin with his new contract...

Reactions: gocds
As much as I hate to say it because I loved Jurich: Jurich being gone makes the possibility of Brohm coming back much more possible. I believe he'll take CBPs place.

Well, I agree with you. And here is why. Jurich was in on the firing of Brohm, when he was the offensive coordinator for Steve Kragthorpe. Jurich served Brohm up as the reason Krag was losing. We know it was all bull by Jurich to save his buddy. I know for a fact that Jeff Brohm had sworn that he would not coach at Louisville again as long as Jurich was AD. Well, Tommy does not work here any more. I think the Brohm family's love for U of L is much greater than the Jurich family's love is. I hope we are lucky enough to get Jeff back.

Reactions: American Male
I understand the reasoning, but I don't think Jurich v. Brohm had much relevancy going forward. Witness what was said about Petrino when he bolted in 2007, only to return in 2014. If these guys want each other badly enough, all is forgiven. And I personally saw Jeff and his family at a Spring football game a couple of years ago...

Reactions: Hallrj3
Agreed. Tom was always willing to suck up his ego to do what was best for the University. However, were the Brohm's over their disgust with how Jeff was treated on behalf of the lousiest coach in UL history? One Spring game attendance isn't enough to convince me of that. Either way, all turned out well for CBP and the Brohm family.

i'm hoping he does coach here eventually.

i think petrino is on borrowed time right now. he's under-achieved (or just achieved enough since UofL isn't a football school) and he's got his whole family coaching right now. says something about him or the fact that no one wants to work with him.

UofL isn't going to be any sort of football powerhouse (no tradition, no in-state kids; ky football sucks, fickle as hell fanbase) but if Jeff wants to coach at home I'd take him right now. i expect nothing out of the program so i guess BP is doing that but i'd rather see an alumnus doing nothing than someone else.

I think Brohm is positioning himself and playing the smart long game. He had chances to leave this Summer and chose not to. Thats smart from multiple angles, but again it depends on who actually contacted him and was serious about hiring him.

I think Brohm can see what we all see going on at UL and he's waiting to see how that plays out. Petrino has been nothing more adequate during his tenure at Louisville and had it not been for Lamar and his ability and the positive publicity that he single handily brought the program his second tenure would likely look much worse.

I'm curious to see the post-Lamar version of the Cardinals. With the playmakers UL has at QB and WR it should be interesting. If UL has another mediocre season and stumbles their way to another 7-8 win season then I can see his seat getting significantly warmer. I would say Brohm is playing the long game on Petrino and if he doesn't turn it around in the next year or 2 and Brohm continues to keep Purdue competitive in the Big 10 he would in a prime position to take over for Petrino.

...I think Brohm can see what we all see going on at UL and he's waiting to see how that plays out...
If Jeff is smart--and I think he is--this is exactly right. He should have no expectation that Tyra is at U of L five years from now. I fully expect the next five years to be very difficult for us financially. And the next AD would have no personal commitment to anyone he/she didn't hire.

Jeff should make his name at Purdue, be patient, and see how things "play out" here--as you say. If he wants to come back here, he has plenty of time to make that eventual move...

If Jeff is smart--and I think he is--this is exactly right. He should have no expectation that Tyra is at U of L five years from now. I fully expect the next five years to be very difficult for us financially. And the next AD would have no personal commitment to anyone he/she didn't hire.

Jeff should make his name at Purdue, be patient, and see how things "play out" here--as you say. If he wants to come back here, he has plenty of time to make that eventual move...

And if he has great success at Purdue.....he may not want to come back home as he has made a new home for himself there....one that is close enough to Louisville to keep the family happy too.:D:p

Reactions: zipp
He is at the perfect place for him to continue to learn to be a leader of a program/organization. He can build a consistent winner he will have options. He will be given ample time to build their program. At that point it is all about timing. There are so many variables that it is impossible to say. Louisville's year is 2019, I expect them to be really good, if that doesn't happen then a change may be warranted.

Louisville in 2019 should be Orange Bowl/Sugar Bowl good. They will be down right scary on offense and should be much better on defense. Clemson will be down by their standards because they will lose a ton on defense.

i think petrino is on borrowed time right now. he's under-achieved (or just achieved enough since UofL isn't a football school) and he's got his whole family coaching right now. says something about him or the fact that no one wants to work with him.

UofL isn't going to be any sort of football powerhouse (no tradition, no in-state kids; ky football sucks, fickle as hell fanbase) but if Jeff wants to coach at home I'd take him right now. i expect nothing out of the program so i guess BP is doing that but i'd rather see an alumnus doing nothing than someone else.

Maybe Jeff Brohm coaches here again or maybe not, but that is not what should concern Jeff, our fans or his family. But to criticize CBP for having family members on staff while allowing Jeff the right to have BOTH of his brothers on staff is a bit silly. We need to support our present coach because he has been successful here. We need that success to continue.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Jeez, cheer up, will ya?

Reactions: RalphDawkins
I’d love to see J.Brohm increase Purdue win total to 8-9wins consecutively within the next 3-5yrs before he comes back home to the Ville his “dream job” ;) !!!

I think Brohm took an extension knowing petrino will be at ul for at least a few more seasons if not more. At some point I think Brohm replaces petrino. As a UK fan I think Brohm will be a great coach someday, hopefully not at ul.

Reactions: RalphDawkins

It is incredibly hard for me to imagine Louisville having Financial difficulties. If anything, we should be swimming in 1,000 dollar bills.

Compared to our first year in the ACC, the university is currently collecting somewhere around $20 Million more in ACC revenues alone, not including the recent contract with Addidas - which is supposedly worth 16 Mill more a year.

Please tell me how we are spending more than that, lol. I mean, honestly, and I admit I take a simplistic approach - but then - why the hell not?

In terms of Brohm, we will have to wait an entire cycle - and maybe 2 - of time to know the answer to that.

It is incredibly hard for me to imagine Louisville having Financial difficulties. If anything, we should be swimming in 1,000 dollar bills.

Compared to our first year in the ACC, the university is currently collecting somewhere around $20 Million more in ACC revenues alone, not including the recent contract with Addidas - which is supposedly worth 16 Mill more a year.

Please tell me how we are spending more than that, lol. I mean, honestly, and I admit I take a simplistic approach - but then - why the hell not?

In terms of Brohm, we will have to wait an entire cycle - and maybe 2 - of time to know the answer to that.
Actually, the math is pretty simple. It helps to look at the situation historically...

Revenue%20thru%202017_zpsm42hllhf.jpg

In 2017, "gifts" accounted for around $45 million of the $118 million total athletics revenue pie. Remove that and the department is financially where it was in 2012. Not all of that money from donors is gone, but a sizable amount is at risk.

And you can see from the expense line--like most nonprofits--we spend what we bring in. So we've already committed most of that ACC and adidas money. It's a hungry monster that needs to be fed.

Bottom line is that everything is relative... And the unfortunate fact is that the above trendline, as steep as it is, only keeps pace with other nationally ranked athletic departments. You can argue that U of L athletics are consuming money faster that it should, but that growth rate of around 8% annually had better continue. Or we will fall with respect to the schools we're chasing and used to be keeping pace with. IOW we can't afford to take a breather from bringing in money...a lot of money.

Last edited:
In other words, without the extra $35 Million we would be sinking like a cast iron toilet in fresh water. Is that what the lack of donations will yield? Man, what a crazy world, if so. The Board did indeed break Louisville.

Reactions: zipp
Picture what the dark solid line would look like if it declined $20-25 million (below the 100,000 level). That would represent around half of the gifts and donations disappearing. Entirely possible if not likely...

Picture what the dark solid line would look like if it declined $20-25 million (below the 100,000 level). That would represent around half of the gifts and donations disappearing. Entirely possible if not likely...

Uhh zipp I’m not a financial analyst but in looking at the graph presented I see a “positive” rather than a negative. But that’s just me. Perhaps you, and others, can show me where I’m wrong. Of course the recent “news” has our ULAA bleeding to death. But I think good news is difficult to come by recently.

Uhh zipp I’m not a financial analyst but in looking at the graph presented I see a “positive” rather than a negative. But that’s just me. Perhaps you, and others, can show me where I’m wrong. Of course the recent “news” has our ULAA bleeding to death. But I think good news is difficult to come by recently.

This does not take this year into account. Everything on the graph is pre-Jurich firing.

Uhh zipp I’m not a financial analyst but in looking at the graph presented I see a “positive” rather than a negative. But that’s just me. Perhaps you, and others, can show me where I’m wrong. Of course the recent “news” has our ULAA bleeding to death. But I think good news is difficult to come by recently...
This does not take this year into account. Everything on the graph is pre-Jurich firing.
1987 is correct, and I should have footnoted that. The FY 2018 results will cover this past school year. Jurich was still in charge when the 2017 numbers were reported...

I’m biased obviously but I think Brohm could stay at Purdue for awhile. He’s currently recruiting at a high level (at least historically for Purdue) and the AD has finally made a legit commitment to football. I could see him staying at Purdue for awhile unless a blueblood makes him an offer that is too good to refuse.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Another Purdue fan here. How long do you guys/gals think it'll be before Brian wants to break away from his brother and be a HC somewhere?

Another Purdue fan here. How long do you guys/gals think it'll be before Brian wants to break away from his brother and be a HC somewhere?
I don’t know a thing, but I’m not sure about BB as a HC.

He never had the “fire” or intensity JB had. He was more of a Tom Brady/laid back.

Does that mean anything in the long run? I don’t know.

I like some emotion (JB), and not today’s trend of “cool”.

But that’s just me.

Reactions: Mayoman
He is at the perfect place for him to continue to learn to be a leader of a program/organization. He can build a consistent winner he will have options. He will be given ample time to build their program. At that point it is all about timing. There are so many variables that it is impossible to say. Louisville's year is 2019, I expect them to be really good, if that doesn't happen then a change may be warranted.

Louisville in 2019 should be Orange Bowl/Sugar Bowl good. They will be down right scary on offense and should be much better on defense. Clemson will be down by their standards because they will lose a ton on defense.

I agree. I'm fine with 6-6 this year (I mean sure I hope for better) because of what's coming in the year following.

If Jeff Brohm had graduated from IU or ND would some of you still want him as our coach? We have a coach, a very successful coach. I think we should honor him with our support. Maybe someday Jeff Brohm coaches here but not now. I root for Jeff’s success but only because he graduated from UofL and is a native Louisvillian. Not because I want to get rid of CBP because I don’t.

If Jeff Brohm had graduated from IU or ND would some of you still want him as our coach? We have a coach, a very successful coach. I think we should honor him with our support. Maybe someday Jeff Brohm coaches here but not now. I root for Jeff’s success but only because he graduated from UofL and is a native Louisvillian. Not because I want to get rid of CBP because I don’t.

I think as a fan base its perfectly normal and acceptable to not be calling for Petrino's firing but at least be questioning where the program has been and is headed under his last 4 years. I think its normal to discuss the possibility of a former alumni who happens to be having success at other schools potentially coming back to take over at his alma mater when the current coach isn't exactly setting the world on fire. I hope Petrino continues to be our coach but I also hope he figures out how to beat Clemson, ranked teams and win some bowl games too.

I think as a fan base its perfectly normal and acceptable to not be calling for Petrino's firing but at least be questioning where the program has been and is headed under his last 4 years. I think its normal to discuss the possibility of a former alumni who happens to be having success at other schools potentially coming back to take over at his alma mater when the current coach isn't exactly setting the world on fire. I hope Petrino continues to be our coach but I also hope he figures out how to beat Clemson, ranked teams and win some bowl games too.
Petrino's one of the best tenured coaches in the country... LINK

Who ranked higher would you replace him with?

Reactions: gocds
Petrino's one of the best tenured coaches in the country... LINK

Who ranked higher would you replace him with?

Petrino’s good but he’s becoming stagnant and sometimes a change of scenery is all it takes. Look at UGA and Richt. Both more successful after parting ways. That’s what I worry about with Louisville football...will having a “name” coach and going 8-4 every year be enough to keep Petrino in the sidelines? I would say his mediocrity and difficulty retaining staff obviously play a part into his issues over the last 4 years.

I’m not ready to move on from Petrino but I’m also not going to blindly support him if he doesn’t start beating the good teams and seriously challenging for an ACC title just because he was good coach 10 -15 years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT