ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't BP ever defer when we win the coin toss?

ReCarded

No-Ranking Prospect
Sep 27, 2016
I know we lost the coin toss at the Clemson game, but why doesn't BP ever defer when we do win the toss? I know he wants to jump on teams, but wouldn't it be better to have the ball to start the second half when it seems many games are decided. I cannot remember the last time we scored a touchdown on the opening drive and we immediately lose our possession advantage. Seems to me it would be better to stop the opponent first especially on the road when the crowd noise usually is at its highest. Most other coaches defer.

I like, and prefer, receiving the opening kickoff. I know we haven't taken advantage of it recently, but it is an aggressive choice to go on offense first, which has historically been a good thing for Petrino coached teams.

Reactions: gocds
I know we lost the coin toss at the Clemson game, but why doesn't BP ever defer when we do win the toss? I know he wants to jump on teams, but wouldn't it be better to have the ball to start the second half when it seems many games are decided. I cannot remember the last time we scored a touchdown on the opening drive and we immediately lose our possession advantage. Seems to me it would be better to stop the opponent first especially on the road when the crowd noise usually is at its highest. Most other coaches defer.
Teams that defer, believe their defense can force a 3 and out, giving the offense better field possession then it wold have had on a kickoff. CRP has always had more confidence in his offenses than his defenses to set the tone for the game. I have never seen him defer (including 1.0).

Howard S. used to take the ball also. I have mixed emotions on it. I think if your offense is better than your defense, which ours is, you probably should take the ball.

The interesting thing is, since most coaches defer, we will almost always get the ball first.

I always thought at home you should defer. Your fans are revved up and the first series is when the crowd would be most loud. When the home team gets the ball first, it makes the crowd lose some mojo.

Reactions: arizan
You should always defer because of the opportunity to have 2 uninterrupted possessions to end the 1st and start the 2nd.

I don't think it's usually "confidence" or "strength" at all. (He did briefly in 2014 start to defer because the defense was playing so much better than the offense...) I think it's Petrino's attack mentality. As early as possible, he tries to put pressure on the other team. And he feels you do that by scoring and forcing the other team to match that.

Home or away, I'm not sure that's anything worthwhile to critique as a strategy with or without results. It's probably more of a mindset he wants to instill in his coaches and players...

I have another question. Why doesn't Petrino line Traveling Samuels up in the slot more and use him like Belichick uses Edelman? Seems like sometimes they would line up a LB on him and there would be a miss match. It just seems like a waste of speed out there on the field. I hate to say it but Lamar is not that accurate at times and Samuel is short. Just like today he threw it over his head badly in the end zone. I say use him in the screen game and let him get yards after the catch.

Reactions: BPGhost
To have an "offensive genius" for a coach there sure is a lot of second guessing about his play calling and player usage.

The honeymoon is fading in the rearview mirror.

I don't know what he's trying to do, but he's the coach.

I would actually defer on the road. We seem to have problems with the crowd noise and false starts. The crowds on the road are at their loudest at the beginning of the game. I would take my chances on defense first and hopefully deal with less crowd noise when we get the ball second.

Reactions: fredburgcard
I always thought at home you should defer. Your fans are revved up and the first series is when the crowd would be most loud. When the home team gets the ball first, it makes the crowd lose some mojo.
Since a good 1/3 of the crowd doesn't get to their seats until 5 minutes into the game this might not work for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT