ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you want to coach the best players?

Dec 31, 2002
ESPN guy says: Link

For those who don't want to give ESPN any clicks, spoiler:

Head Coach: Rick Pitino
Assistant: John Calipari

There you have it.

You could probably make a case for two or maybe three other coaches to be the head coach but you won't get that argument from me.

Kills me as UK fan to say this, but I'd have Coach K leading the team with Pitino, Izzo and Calipari as assistants.

As long as Coach K is there to berate and bully officials - and have the powers that be supporting him.... it wouldn't matter if he were a HC or assistant, as long as he has his hands on it.

OP spreading fake news.

Reactions: ThroughBlue
As long as Coach K is there to berate and bully officials - and have the powers that be supporting him.... it wouldn't matter if he were a HC or assistant, as long as he has his hands on it.

OP spreading fake news.
I disagree only with the fake news portion of your post. Personally, I want Bob Huggins there to run practice. I agree that CRP/Cal would be an explosive combo much like Ditka/Buddy Ryan and the Bears, but oh what year they had in 1986. A short lived cataclysm waiting to explode. But oh what fun and success in the meantime.

So let's compose the ideal college coaching staff and dissect this "skill" issue completely and without regard for a limit on the number of coaches...

Media communications, conditioning, and nutrition - Pitino
Personnel and recruiting - Lite
In-game coaching - ??
Practices - ??
NCAA compliance, relations - ??
Other ??

Just off the top of my head... I'd put Denny Crum in that 3rd hole unless limited to active coaches. What are the other skill categories and who fits where?...

So let's compose the ideal college coaching staff and dissect this "skill" issue completely and without regard for a limit on the number of coaches...

Media communications, conditioning, and nutrition - Pitino
Personnel and recruiting - Lite
In-game coaching - ??
Practices - ??
NCAA compliance, relations - ??
Other ??

Just off the top of my head... I'd put Denny Crum in that 3rd hole unless limited to active coaches. What are the other skill categories and who fits where?...

I'd give media to Calipari, maybe, in addition to recruiting. Coach K for in game coaching, so I guess the same in game coach should also lead practices? Whomever Duke has for compliance and relations as well, or maybe Sandy Bell, and maybe Billy D reunites as Pitino's assistant.

I'd give media to Calipari, maybe, in addition to recruiting. Coach K for in game coaching, so I guess the same in game coach should also lead practices? Whomever Duke has for compliance and relations as well, or maybe Sandy Bell, and maybe Billy D reunites as Pitino's assistant.
When I think "media", I also think what THEY like and not just who handles the job best. Lite's a media hound, loves that task, and manages it...I just don't know that the media enjoy him as much as they enjoy Pitino. At least that's not what I perceive.

Reactions: Senore2006
You could probably make a case for two or maybe three other coaches to be the head coach but you won't get that argument from me.

This season, among the top 5 faves for the title, you have Tom Izzo with a plethora of 2nd year players. Pundits rave about what Tom can do - and, whoa - no doubt, rightfully so. Rick also faces the presence of returning experience. Needless to say, as close a thing as it was for nearly getting Donovan Mitchell back - and still getting Deng back! - I make these two my favorites, as do others. The 2 year and Done philosophy is also more fun and less desperate for a coach. A relaxed coach is an awesome coach.

I bring this up to illustrate the presence of alternate theories on "one and done" ballplaying. Both Izzo and Rick delight in bringing back hungry Freshmen who do their due diligence in the Summer following their freshman years and work their nutz off - or after sophomore years in Ray Ray's case, lol. Same with Kansas and Zona. UK cannot say this - Calipari has committed to reinventing rosters on a yearly basis. There is a budding sense that this doesn't get the job done, no matter how close they might come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT