ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the first freshman to earn a start?

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
There are obviously some very talented freshmen on this upcoming team. To distract from the dead season I was curious to hear everyone's opinion on who the first freshman most likely to crack the starting rotation will be.
Out of the 5 I would say that there are 3 who are the most likely to get the first start. Those would be Darius Perry, Brian Bowen, and Malik Williams. It depends on which upperclassman comes into their own or fails to do so this year. I would say that Rick is likely not afraid to start a freshman that has shown defensive talent and that is where I would give Perry the edge followed by Bowen. As far as positions of need go, I would say Williams would have a better chance to start because he would only have to beat out one of Anas or Ray, neither of which was a starter last year. Perry would have to beat out Deng, Q, or VJ. Bowen would have to beat out one or Deng or VJ. So my pick would have to be Bowen. He has a combination of defensive skill and a simpler path to starting than Perry.
I haven't heard much about Williams this summer and he was supposedly less than impressive in the Kentucky Derby Classic. Who do you all have? Thomas and Nwora can be counted as well of course.

Reactions: shadow force
Good thread idea. I think it comes down to Bowen or Williams. I'm hoping Anas has, or will, really improve this season on both ends. If he doesn't, I can see Williams taking his starting spot later on in the season if he can play up to his potential. The Anas of last season was serviceable to pretty good- at times- but lacked consistency.

Rick has said that Ray has been really showing improvement so he might have that spot locked down but we'll have to see when the games start. Bowen would have to beat out more experienced guys than him that are also very talented in their own right. So it might be harder for him to nab a starting spot than Williams. However his talent might prove to be enough.

I don't see Perry getting a starting nod over a guy like Q. I think senior Q all but has the PG spot locked up at the moment. Could Perry start at the 2 guard? Possibly, but again he would have to beat out experienced and talented guys. Not sure about Thomas and Nwora right now, but you never know, there could be some surprises on the roster.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Give me Williams at the 5. I think there is just less competition to break into the Starting 5. Bowen might have the talent but he has to beat out two guys that have NBA Potential as well. Not to mention both have experience in the system and know what is expected on the defensive end. Whether Bowen starts are not is irrelevant he will garner minutes at multiple positions so he will see the hardwood.

Give me Williams at the 5. I think there is just less competition to break into the Starting 5. Bowen might have the talent but he has to beat out two guys that have NBA Potential as well. Not to mention both have experience in the system and know what is expected on the defensive end. Whether Bowen starts are not is irrelevant he will garner minutes at multiple positions so he will see the hardwood.
Call me skeptical about Williams starting at the 5. CRP has been raving about the improvement of Spaulding and Mahmoud when he's back healthy has more experience than almost anyone except Snider. I also think the 5 is difficult in CRP offensive scheme as he has to be a facilitator as well. Maybe it was because of sheer talent, Matz would look totally lost at times.

I feel a little crazy about trying to analyze the game or even the abilities of Bowen. I mean, most of us - certainly me, anyway - has not seen more than a couple minutes of his game in all star games. Here is what the bestest Christmas would look like:

1. Bowen emerges as a George Gervin clone
2. Ray Spalding makes UofL fans laugh every time he runs the court but for great reasons.
3. Anas starts making statements about his development and still dribbles and passes behind his back now and then.
4. VJ King makes us forget VJ King.
5. That Perry reminds us of Preston Knowles
6. Russ Smith takes advantage of an eligibility loophole and is cleared to play - but is only allowed 5 minutes a game

That's about it for now.

Reactions: Cue Card
I feel a little crazy about trying to analyze the game or even the abilities of Bowen. I mean, most of us - certainly me, anyway - has not seen more than a couple minutes of his game in all star games. Here is what the bestest Christmas would look like:

1. Bowen emerges as a George Gervin clone
2. Ray Spalding makes UofL fans laugh every time he runs the court but for great reasons.
3. Anas starts making statements about his development and still dribbles and passes behind his back now and then.
4. VJ King makes us forget VJ King.
5. That Perry reminds us of Preston Knowles
6. Russ Smith takes advantage of an eligibility loophole and is cleared to play - but is only allowed 5 minutes a game

That's about it for now.
I'm just hoping that we have someone who can hit close shots and free throws.

Reactions: Cue Card
Ha ha, Touche'!! You mean you don't want to laugh at the Ellis Myles "where is that dam basket??" FT shooting any more?

Regarding Malik Williams (UofL's newest "Most Popular Sports Name"), one can peaceably consider that - should he get a chance to display his hoops game - he will be competing for time with a Junior and a Senior with reams of experience, both of whom were seriously challenged "down to their bones" by a demanding but fair head coach. Having said that, if Malik can 'fill er up' on offense and learn to protect the rim and rebound, even imagining his getting significant PT is a giddy and tremendous plus, should it materialize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT