ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s left...

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
Who’s left that Mack will pursue for next season? Personally, I think we need a 4 or 5 that can score.

I don't expect Carlik back and with DJ and Nickelberry gone, I'm glad Mack brought in 3 guards. Hopefully that's enough.

I would like to add a healthy, decent center but that might be hard with Malik, Wheeler, and Wiz already here. I know there are questions about Malik and Wheelers health but it's got to be a tough sell on a good big to come here and maybe get big minutes if a couple of our guys get hurt.

I think the 4 position is strong if Withers and JJ get to play there all season instead of at the 5.

Reactions: PHCARD
I'd settle for a 4 or 5 that can defend... no clue who they are looking at kid from Marquette Theo John is available.

I think you sit tight on bigs. If we get another 5, one will transfer out. Probably G-Wiz. If you can’t trust G-wiz to give you good minutes, then you shouldn’t have him on the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
I think you sit tight on bigs. If we get another 5, one will transfer out. Probably G-Wiz. If you can’t trust G-wiz to give you good minutes, then you shouldn’t have him on the roster.
Gabe came in knowing he needed time to develop. He will continue to work on his strength and speed, and will contribute before he leaves.

Reactions: vivid_red
Gabe came in knowing he needed time to develop. He will continue to work on his strength and speed, and will contribute before he leaves.
In the day of the 1 time transfer, he’s gotta be able to give us 10 mins of good defense and semi-competent offense, or it’s a wasted scholarship. I like Gabe and I think he can do that, but if most people don’t think he can give us anything, then I’d rather have him make way for a guy who can. Don’t need 4 guys who can play at the 5.

G-Wiz? I pull for the kid and the story of his father passing years back really makes me want to see him succeed here. But, I just don’t see him contributing meaningful minutes here ever. Maybe if he’s a real gym rat he’ll prove me wrong, time will tell.

G-Wiz? I pull for the kid and the story of his father passing years back really makes me want to see him succeed here. But, I just don’t see him contributing meaningful minutes here ever. Maybe if he’s a real gym rat he’ll prove me wrong, time will tell.
I think he showed that he can defend well enough to give you 10 mins a game with some improvement on the offensive end.

Remember G-Wiz came in expecting to redshirt but was brought In when Williams got hurt. I thought he did better than expected. Were it not for transfer mania no one would trying to force him out.

First things first, Carlik has been honest about his decision to return to UL, and it will be dependent on the feedback he receives from the NBA and the Developmental League. Unlike DJ, Jones professional future is not so clear. Most do not expect him to return to UL, but he has acknowledged that he is relying on what others tell him about his draft status, very smart decision on his part.

Gabe has a lot of potential, just lacks strength, conditioning and experience ...... he will gain all of that if he remains on the UL roster regardless of bringing in another BIG, particularly practicing against Malik everyday.

Reactions: Mayoman
Remember G-Wiz came in expecting to redshirt but was brought In when Williams got hurt. I thought he did better than expected. Were it not for transfer mania no one would trying to force him out.

Plus big men typically take longer to mature and find their game. I think Gabe will show us more of what he is capable of next season with, hopefully, a full off season of training, practice, etc. and then working hard during the season.

Still need role players........replacing G-Wiz with the transfer C from lets say Penn St causes issues, bc now Wheeler becomes the 4th C and he doesnt like it and transfers. Now we are down Malik, Grad xfer, and Wheeler after next season. This is purely an example and what I think could happen everywhere if you are trying to build a roster with 11, 12, 13 good players. Good luck coaches!!!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Still need role players........replacing G-Wiz with the transfer C from lets say Penn St causes issues, bc now Wheeler becomes the 4th C and he doesnt like it and transfers. Now we are down Malik, Grad xfer, and Wheeler after next season. This is purely an example and what I think could happen everywhere if you are trying to build a roster with 11, 12, 13 good players. Good luck coaches!!!
Really that’s not normally the issue. It’s an issue now because of Malik’s history of injury. Even when he came back for this few games, he couldn’t jump. I would recruit based on not expecting him to play a full season, otherwise you’re screwed if he goes down again.

Really that’s not normally the issue. It’s an issue now because of Malik’s history of injury. Even when he came back for this few games, he couldn’t jump. I would recruit based on not expecting him to play a full season, otherwise you’re screwed if he goes down again.
I think you are screwed if he goes down or not, if you pick up another C. No need for any of these kids to have ANY patience with todays rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT