ADVERTISEMENT

When does Vince rethink his relationship with adidas?...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
Evidently others are asking the same question... LINK

It's also becoming more apparent that the problem on adidas' end of things went beyond one or two rogue employees... LINK

When does it start looking more like a corporate or cultural issue with adidas?

Honest and ethical are just words without corresponding actions behind them...

Pizza-Guy-amp-Friends.jpg

I highly doubt any other shoe company would give U of L the same or better .

Louisville has been sponsored by Adidas since 1998, and signed a ten-year contract extension with the apparel corporation in 2018 that was worth $160 million, or $16 million per year. At the time, it was the fourth-richest apparel agreement in collegiate athletics, behind only UCLA (Under Armour - $18.67), Ohio State (Nike - $16.8 million) and Texas (Nike - $16.67 million)
That's a legit answer--and maybe the best answer--but it's not an answer "Vince" can give.

...Unless he's putting a cost/price on honesty and playing by the rules. You can't value that in dollars and cents if that's how you're posturing.

I'm not saying that adidas is worse than Nike. But not being any worse than someone who's dishonest doesn't make you honest. If you use that or how much money you're making as justification, it doesn't say much for your true character...

Last edited:
That's a legit answer--and maybe the best answer--but it's not an answer "Vince" can give.

...Unless he's putting a cost/price on honesty and playing by the rules. You can't value that in dollars and cents if that's how you're posturing.

According to the FBI timeline, Adidas and Jurich were nailing down the sponsorship agreement while company representatives were allegedly working to bring 6-foot-7 small forward Brian Bowen to the university. Whether those two deals -- one announced at a news conference, the other negotiated illicitly in the presence of an undercover agent -- were somehow related is one of the major unanswered questions of the spiraling scandal. Jurich, who conceived of the partnership with the shoe company during Adidas-sponsored retreats in Santa Barbara, California, and Banff, Alberta, says he knew nothing about the Bowen deal, but he acknowledged that Adidas, which was to pay Louisville cash incentives for Final Four appearances and NCAA championships, had a financial interest in Louisville's success.

"We all agree with that," Jurich says. "But I didn't think they would have to do it at this cost."

@REDFISTFURY3, I think you're stating or implying the reason that's keeping us in bed with adidas; in fact, I'm 99% sure about it. You and I are on the same page.

You're also posting additional evidence that more than a couple guys in their operation on the fringe knew there was dicey stuff going on. Maybe Jurich and Pitino knew about it and turned a blind eye--more stuff we'll probably never know.

The issue is "Vince" ain't oblivious to this, not if we're discussing it here. So how does he justify the ongoing relationship? (And others responding with gifs and memes doesn't answer the question...)

@REDFISTFURY3, I think you're stating or implying the reason that's keeping us in bed with adidas; in fact, I'm 99% sure about it. You and I are on the same page.

You're also posting additional evidence that more than a couple guys in their operation on the fringe knew there was dicey stuff going on. Maybe Jurich and Pitino knew about it and turned a blind eye--more stuff we'll probably never know.

The issue is "Vince" ain't oblivious to this, not if we're discussing it here. So how does he justify the ongoing relationship? (And others responding with gifs and memes doesn't answer the question...)
Huh....wonder how Jurich daughter got her job at Adidas?

Huh....wonder how Jurich daughter got her job at Adidas?
I recall "Vince" posturing about running a lot better--more ethical--athletic department than his predecessor.

IOW rhetoric...

I recall "Vince" posturing about running a lot better--more ethical--athletic department than his predecessor.

IOW rhetoric...
Question show us somethng that Vnce has done bad since he has taken over? And not some personal opinion. I really would like to know his transgressions that are so much more terrible than his predecessor. As know one is perfect .

IOW rhetoric...

How high you setting the bar? If you set the bar at no more FBI, no more hookers, and no more staff having sex on restaurant tables and getting extorted for it, then "Vince" is getting it done! Your guy! Your man! Z and V, such a nice jingle to it.

No one here really believes this has anything to do with seeking a discussion right? If U of L had sacked the shoemaker for being a bad influence on impressionable youth, we would be hearing how our AD lost us another 16 million per year. Yet if we honor that same contract, that is also wrong.

Some better questions though on redirect:

1) Has Adidas made any changes to their own staff or procedures since these practices were brought to light?

2) Has any athletic wear maker?

3) Are universities now including language in these contracts to mandate companies act within NCAA guidelines?

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Question show us somethng that Vnce has done bad since he has taken over? And not some personal opinion. I really would like to know his transgressions that are so much more terrible than his predecessor. As know one is perfect .
I don't know what's wrong with this adidas topic, but you wanna talk finances? That's a B&W subject that we don't have to argue without facts...

How high you setting the bar? If you set the bar at no more FBI, no more hookers, and no more staff having sex on restaurant tables and getting extorted for it, then "Vince" is getting it done! Your guy! Your man! Z and V, such a nice jingle to it.
What does ethical and transparent mean--which are his words? I can get out my dictionary, but I think that's more than "don't commit crimes or get caught by the Feds."

The other slant is this was his mantra WRT to the prior regime. If that regime was in bed with anyone who's suspect, it's appropriate to ask what has changed. In the case of adidas, nothing...

No one here really believes this has anything to do with seeking a discussion right? If U of L had sacked the shoemaker for being a bad influence on impressionable youth, we would be hearing how our AD lost us another 16 million per year. Yet if we honor that same contract, that is also wrong.

Some better questions though on redirect:

1) Has Adidas made any changes to their own staff or procedures since these practices were brought to light?

2) Has any athletic wear maker?

3) Are universities now including language in these contracts to mandate companies act within NCAA guidelines?
The first part is simply a question dodge. The "redirect" is at least somewhat on point...

Why weren't people like Pitino and Jurich simply given the opportunity to address their adidas issues?

And with more egregious offenses now being disclosed about adidas, why isn't "Vince" stepping up his concern about that relationship?

Reads like two sets of standards with me. OK for "Vince" to conduct business for that $160 million, not so his predecessor.

I guess there ARE perks to being a clown show member...

What does ethical and transparent mean--which are his words? I can get out my dictionary, but I think that's more than "don't commit crimes or get caught by the Feds."

The other slant is this was his mantra WRT to the prior regime. If that regime was in bed with anyone who's suspect, it's appropriate to ask what has changed. In the case of adidas, nothing...

Man. Speaking on transparency. I don't think I've heard Vince say anything. Ever.

Who on this board of U of L fans was criticizing Tom Jurich for the Adidas deal?
No one, but that was prior to the FBI stuff. Obviously, it was prior to what we hear went on with Kansas. Even with that, I still don't criticize Jurich because this is apparently shoe company wheeling and dealing.

The issue for "Vince" is he doesn't get to use that excuse. He's here in large part because he's ethical and tranparent--AND was brought in to clean up this very type of wheeling and dealing.

I guess if there's enough zeroes on the check, it's OK even for a bunch of virtuous clowns to look the other way...

Last edited:
Man. Speaking on transparency. I don't think I've heard Vince say anything. Ever.
Hell, "Vince" is the guy who took $100,000 of his own money to beef up U of L's excellence in leadership garbage. And I say "garbage" because it's exactly that when it's words without actions.

BTW I noticed the word "virtue" on this webpage too. Funny stuff... LINK

Vince has done a great job considering the mess jurich and slicky ricky left.vand still dealing with it.

IOW rhetoric...

IOW rhetoric...
"more ethical". At least you admit prior regime not fully ethical. Progress.....

Evidently others are asking the same question... LINK

It's also becoming more apparent that the problem on adidas' end of things went beyond one or two rogue employees... LINK

When does it start looking more like a corporate or cultural issue with adidas?

Honest and ethical are just words without corresponding actions behind them...

Pizza-Guy-amp-Friends.jpg

Listen, the university is in no position to cut out $160M. Even when athletics return, the crowds will be smaller. Less butts in seats has already been the trend. There will be a revenue decline.

I'm not saying that adidas is worse than Nike. But not being any worse than someone who's dishonest doesn't make you honest. If you use that or how much money you're making as justification, it doesn't say much for your true character...

As we are digging ourself out of the latest Pitino/Jurich era scandal while in the midst of a global pandemic, to attempt to extract the university out of the school shoe contract would be a poor sign of leadership and would strike a tremendous blow to those Vince leads. It’s pretty unanimously agreed upon that Vince shows a strong steady hand leadership style and has documented history of installing ethically driven policies and procedures. He knows how to put safeguards in place. He also knows that we would currently have a terrible bargaining position as our flagship program potentially looks at major NCAA sanctions due to the Jurich/Pitino era infractions. We, like all universities and society in general, are facing unprecedented economic challenges in the face of the pandemic. To only exacerbate those economic challenges would be untenable, especially when potential rogue actions can be mitigated with proper oversight and common sense....two things that were previously lacking.

Listen, the university is in no position to cut out $160M. Even when athletics return, the crowds will be smaller. Less butts in seats has already been the trend. There will be a revenue decline.
Then TRANSPARENCY dictates you come clean with the flock you’ve been preaching to. Not maintain a front that loses you support and money...

Until the NCAA comes out and says that doing business with Adidas will get you in trouble we should stick with our current deal.
The NCAA offers no guidance. They have no authority nor make any findings re. people not directly employed in college athletics...

As we are digging ourself out of the latest Pitino/Jurich era scandal while in the midst of a global pandemic, to attempt to extract the university out of the school shoe contract would be a poor sign of leadership and would strike a tremendous blow to those Vince leads. It’s pretty unanimously agreed upon that Vince shows a strong steady hand leadership style and has documented history of installing ethically driven policies and procedures. He knows how to put safeguards in place. He also knows that we would currently have a terrible bargaining position as our flagship program potentially looks at major NCAA sanctions due to the Jurich/Pitino era infractions. We, like all universities and society in general, are facing unprecedented economic challenges in the face of the pandemic. To only exacerbate those economic challenges would be untenable, especially when potential rogue actions can be mitigated with proper oversight and common sense....two things that were previously lacking.
I need just one word. HYPOCRISY...

I need just one word. HYPOCRISY...

So you really weren’t here for a discussion, just to post a no-lose (in your distorted book) proposition. SAD...

Unfortunately there are difficult calculations that have to be made. In this case, the effect of ending the contract would have disastrous consequences which would be on top of the damage already done. With proper oversight, the bad actors can be neutralized. It won’t change the past but it ensures a clearer future.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Then TRANSPARENCY dictates you come clean with the flock you’ve been preaching to. Not maintain a front that loses you support and money...

The only support lost is you, zipp.

So you really weren’t here for a discussion, just to post a no-lose (in your distorted book) proposition. SAD...

Unfortunately there are difficult calculations that have to be made. In this case, the effect of ending the contract would have disastrous consequences which would be on top of the damage already done. With proper oversight, the bad actors can be neutralized. It won’t change the past but it ensures a clearer future.
I love discussion. I just don't need fluff.

"Vince" backed himself into a corner with all of this ethics and virtue garbage. He's in a business--which he probably didn't understand (lacking AD credentials)--where you can't always keep your hands perfectly clean. And in order to curry favor, he tried to posture as "Saint Vince" coming in the door.

We should anticipate future commentary like the newspaper article as more dirt comes out about adidas. At least that article didn't mention hypocrisy on U of L's part, but that wouldn't be an unfair perspective for a journalist to have...

saint-vince.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT