ADVERTISEMENT

What would you think if Pitino hired Josh Pastner as an assistant?

Jan 10, 2005
Living in Memphis, I can help but watch the train wreck that the UofM Basketball team has become. It is obvious that UofM wants to part ways with Pastner.

He is a great recruiter, a real stand up guy but not ready to be a head coach. Assuming a low lever program does not hire him as head coach, I would like to see him as an assistant with the cards to focus on recruiting, and he could learn coaching from one of the best. Clearly, the previous head coach he worked under did not help.

What do you guys think? Would you welcome him?

I do not really know that much about Josh but I don't think he should settle for an asst coach position. Memphis does have a good reputation for being a good basketball school even though as an enemy to the cards, I may not like them but I do respect them. I just think as some people often do, is a change in scenery. He's young someone will give him a chance.

I thought Memphis was going to have a decent team this year? What was the story that led Nichols to transfer? He looked like he was going to be a really good player.

Living in Memphis, I can help but watch the train wreck that the UofM Basketball team has become. It is obvious that UofM wants to part ways with Pastner.

He is a great recruiter, a real stand up guy but not ready to be a head coach. Assuming a low lever program does not hire him as head coach, I would like to see him as an assistant with the cards to focus on recruiting, and he could learn coaching from one of the best. Clearly, the previous head coach he worked under did not help.

Agreed, he learned nothing working under Lute for 7 years. :)

Reactions: awf
As long as he was behind Dave Padgett in the next coaching promotion, I have no problem with him starting over here.

Of course, David is behind Johnson and Balado, lol. But good luck, Josh!!

Energy, baby!!

Hell Naw‼️

I watched a few minutes of Memphis a night or two ago (can't remember who they were playing) and I bet at tipoff there weren't a thousand fans there in the FedEx Arena. I couldn't help but think how far it seems they've fallen!

Reactions: Red Rager and Deeva
I watched a few minutes of Memphis a night or two ago (can't remember who they were playing) and I bet at tipoff there weren't a thousand fans there in the FedEx Arena. I couldn't help but think how far it seems they've fallen!

Did you see the interview when he blamed the low attendance on big screen high def t.v.?

Reactions: Senore2006
I do not really know that much about Josh but I don't think he should settle for an asst coach position. Memphis does have a good reputation for being a good basketball school even though as an enemy to the cards, I may not like them but I do respect them. I just think as some people often do, is a change in scenery. He's young someone will give him a chance.

I thought Memphis was going to have a decent team this year? What was the story that led Nichols to transfer? He looked like he was going to be a really good player.
Nichols reasons for transferring were kept private, but Nichols wasn't the only guy to transfer out after last year. Other big men have left previously, such as Tarik Black, who transferred to Kansas for his senior year.

I don't know if somebody would give a failed head coach a chance without letting him develop somewhere else. I could be wrong, I believe he would have to go back to being an assistant and learn some more before becoming a head coach again. He wasn't ready when he started at Memphis, and his approach helped him land good recruits. The lack of success on the court is keeping them away.

Nichols reasons for transferring were kept private, but Nichols wasn't the only guy to transfer out after last year. Other big men have left previously, such as Tarik Black, who transferred to Kansas for his senior year.

I don't know if somebody would give a failed head coach a chance without letting him develop somewhere else. I could be wrong, I believe he would have to go back to being an assistant and learn some more before becoming a head coach again. He wasn't ready when he started at Memphis, and his approach helped him land good recruits. The lack of success on the court is keeping them away.

Maybe he is just a bad coach. By most metrics Lute Olson is a top 10 coach in NCAA history. If 10 years of mentorship from that dude didn't help him, he's probably better suited to be an assistant who earns his paycheck on the recruiting trail.

The poor attendance here has been a news story here. They get a one time payout from the FedEx Forum for the entire year of $800K. If their attendance, turnstile and not tickets sold, falls below an average of 6,000, they get nothing. At this point, average atttendance is below that threshold, so they are giving away tons of free tickets. A restaurant manager friend of mine told me about the stacks of tickets they were given to distribute to customers free.

Josh would be a great assistant coach for Louisville he is well connected to the AAU circuit. His father was President of the AAU at one time and Josh was the top recruiter for Cal when he was at Memphis. Memphis has always had good talent under Pastner he just can't put it together.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Josh would be a great assistant coach for Louisville he is well connected to the AAU circuit. His father was President of the AAU at one time and Josh was the top recruiter for Cal when he was at Memphis. Memphis has always had good talent under Pastner he just can't put it together.

Which players did Pastner recruit during his one season at Memphis under Calipari?

JohnKBA, it would be better if you just google Pastner yourself he has a lengthy resume as a recruiter. He started evaluating talent in the AAU as early 13 years old. He was supposed to go to Kentucky with Cal but with his ability to recruit Memphis hired when he was in the parking lot on his way out.

Austin Nichols was a real talent but he was immature. He transferred from Memphis because his girlfriend who was a cheerleader at Memphis broke up with him. He wanted to get away from Memphis and start some place over again. Tarik Black was a 5th year senior and transferred to Kansas, he also considered Louisville.

Josh's 15 minutes seem to be up. Poor bastid, he can sell himself and his vision for his program like nobody's business. He really knows what kids want to hear.

LOL, at least until time catches up and his results as an actual coach start mattering. He would be extremely valuable on the talent side for any program because he can probably still recruit well. But he needs about 4 more years of paying attention to what he should have the first go round. Assisting Pitino could be the smartest thing he ever did.

JohnKBA, it would be better if you just google Pastner yourself he has a lengthy resume as a recruiter. He started evaluating talent in the AAU as early 13 years old. He was supposed to go to Kentucky with Cal but with his ability to recruit Memphis hired when he was in the parking lot on his way out.

Austin Nichols was a real talent but he was immature. He transferred from Memphis because his girlfriend who was a cheerleader at Memphis broke up with him. He wanted to get away from Memphis and start some place over again. Tarik Black was a 5th year senior and transferred to Kansas, he also considered Louisville.

I just thought it odd that twice in this thread people have used Pastner to take shots at Calipari when Josh spent ONE season working for him. I was specifically asking which guys he recruited to Memphis since he was "Cal's top recruiter" there. I don't doubt his recruiting acumen overall.

I think you need to read my post again evidently you didn't comprehend what I wrote or you're sensitive about anything Calipari. When I said he was one of Calipari's top recruiters how is that a slap at Calipari ? By the way if you are worried about people insulting Calipari on the Louisville board then you need stay off this board because that happens on a regular bases.

I heered John's image was a hoverin' on an outhouse wall in Bartlesville. After I visit the Creation Museum, I'm headin over thar. A man just cain't have enough religion.

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
What would you think if Pitino hired Josh Pastner as an assistant?
Negative. I have a hard time seeing that ever happening. I agree that he was not ready for a head coaching position. I can see him as assistant at another University, but not Louisville.

Reactions: shadow force
After the Tim Fuller situation, Pitino has definitely been looking for more of a long term commitment from his assistants - which probably wouldn't apply to Pastner.

That said, this current situation could change thinking as both Wiilard and Balado could be out (for vastly different reasons) and we might be in need of a top flight assistant. He might not be much of a head coach up thru now but, Pastner is a great recruiter. Under the right circumstances, I think it could be a great hire.

As it's been pointed out, most of his on the job experience came as an assistance for Lute Olson at Arizona. He was known mainly has someone connected well with the AAU circuit and not so much as coach. He's had his chance to show his coaching abilities, and frankly he has failed to impress. I doubt Pitino would want him on the staff, but purely as a recruiter, I wouldn't mind it. He has some connections that can get our foot in the door to some high profile recruits which we may not currently enjoy. As an actual X's and O's coach? No thanks.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT