ADVERTISEMENT

What happened with Charlie Strong?

Not exactly sure what you’re asking ... are you wondering why he isn’t at USF? That’s because he got fired after his team went 4-8 this past year. His first two years were good, but his record got worse every season, he lost 14 of his last 18 games, and he lost all 3 games against USF’s arch rival, UCF.

No I meant...what happened to the CCS that was being successful at UofL? Everyone but Charlie knew Texas wouldn’t work.

No I meant...what happened to the CCS that was being successful at UofL? Everyone but Charlie knew Texas wouldn’t work.
He should’ve taken the UT job if he ever was going to leave here for a bigger job. Tennessee would’ve given him the money to hire the staff he wanted.

You can’t play beat Em’ up football in a conference that passes the ball 50 times a game. Then at USF I think he was just done, no hunger to get back.

Louisville was perfect. He could recruit the Florida and Deep South kids here that were fast and physical. Our admin gave him the money and freedom to hire the staff he needed. He built a good roster and had a great fan base behind him.

Charlie got us to the ACC. The Kragthorpe era dropped us far back. Charlie won a Sugar bowl and brought a lot of NFL players to the NFL. He really raised our program up and left it in great shape unlike some coaches do.

Must be nice to be able to hire a defensive guy like CCS to be a D consultant at Alabama. I think he'll be back to a d coordinator somewhere soon

Well CCS was successful here because of Teddy Bridgewater. He didn’t have that at Texas or USF. Well, actually his first two years at USF he had a pretty good QB (cannot remember his name) but then things went to hell in a hand basket. He IS a good defensive guy as Saban has recognized that but he does not fully respect the offensive side of the ball. I’m glad he left when he did for UofL’s sake. Plus we didn’t need any more “scandal” crap on our plate, i.e. the Blue divorce situation.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Coaching success is directly tied to dudes. Are you dudes better than their dudes. At Louisville he had better dudes. At Texas not so much. No real ties to Texas. No Clint Hurtt. Bad fit for the get go and everyone knew it.

I think he would have been exposed the year after the Sugar Bowl. He did the right thing for himself.

Charlie did some good things here, but I was never enamored with his coaching ability or understanding of how to manage a game. There’s a reason he was a career DC before we gave him a shot. His career path isn’t unlike Petrino’s in some ways. Both guys ended up tanking and losing their competitive fire.

Reactions: gocds
Some will argue, but Ron Cooper is a damn good FB coach. He just wasn’t cut out to be a Head coach. (Apparently Charlie isn’t cut that way either. ;)) RC managed to keep good solid jobs after he left here.

In fact, I could argue that RC is the most “successful” of all the coaches who’ve left us as far as tenure in good jobs. He discovered his niche and stayed in it.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Some will argue, but Ron Cooper is a damn good FB coach. He just wasn’t cut out to be a Head coach. (Apparently Charlie isn’t cut that way either. ;)) RC managed to keep good solid jobs after he left here.

In fact, I could argue that RC is the most “successful” of all the coaches who’ve left us as far as tenure in good jobs. He discovered his niche and stayed in it.
RC was a bad program manager. He could coach, however.

He built this program up through the FLA pipeline and an at that time soft schedule. He deserves plenty of credit for his tenure. It is uncertain how he would have fared with the transition to a tougher league.

I personally think he's just got too much of a relic philosophy for today's game. Even with Teddy he ran a conservative offense mostly, and I think in today's game you see coaches really opening up playbooks - just not sure Charlie is cut for a HC job given his philosophy. For sure this can be debated. Looking at the top teams, they are rolling up some big #'s offensively.

Reactions: Lifelongcard
We aren't sure what Coach Strong would have done here had he stayed. I don't buy, he was only good because of Teddy B, that's like saying Bill Bellicheck is only good because of Tom Brady. He recruited Teddy B so he will always be a part of Coach Strong's teams. Recruiting is a part of football and Clint Hurtt may be more responsible than anyone else with Coach Strong's success for getting players to play here at Louisville.

Reactions: zipp
I don’t think the offense was too conservative. It’s a philosophy and it worked. CCS won a lot of games here, and I will always remember and be thankful for those teams, which were among the most talented we’ve ever had.

I don’t think the offense was too conservative. It’s a philosophy and it worked. CCS won a lot of games here, and I will always remember and be thankful for those teams, which were among the most talented we’ve ever had.

He could stockpile for sure. Those teams were never quite as good as their parts though. Great teams, but still unfulfilling. The Sugar Bowl team, for example, lost its last regular season game at home to UConn.

Look at all the high draft picks brought into the program during his tenure other than Teddy. At one point, we were on par with the top 5 programs in NFL draft picks.

Imagine Lamar with that defense combined with Devante Parker. Nasty.

Reactions: PHCARD

Cooper was garbage. Spare me.

Cooper was garbage. Spare me.
Did you read my post????

As a HC, yes.

But since leaving UL he’s never been out of work, and in 14 of those 22 years he’s been at Wisconsin, Miss St, LSU, USC2 (with Spurrier), TAMU, and now Ark. The rest was 3 years as HC at Alabama A&M then asst at FIU and USF.

Pretty good resume for a garbage man.

If his name weren’t Ron Cooper we’d be wetting ourselves if we were getting an ASSISTANT coach with that experience.

Simply turns out that he knows as much about being a HC as ...... us. ;)

Ron Cooper was a terrible head coach that had zero success in that role here AND at Alabama A&M. But, big BUT, he made an outstanding living as an assistant coach. And the evidence of that is simply outstanding and is there for everyone to see. His time here did cost us a lot of money in both what actually happened on the field and with the million dollar buyout we had to pay to close out his career here.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
He actually brought in some decent players who blossomed under John L. Good position coach. Like Inspector Harry Callahan said, “A Man’s got to know his limitations”.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
He actually brought in some decent players who blossomed under John L. Good position coach. Like Inspector Harry Callahan said, “A Man’s got to know his limitations”.

I recall when Olsen was making the hire, he said he didn't need a name coach to keep the progress Schnellenberger had helped get going. He couldn't have been more wrong. But, Cooper could recruit. JLS doesn't take the job if that roster was barren.

I recall when Olsen was making the hire, he said he didn't need a name coach to keep the progress Schnellenberger had helped get going. He couldn't have been more wrong. But, Cooper could recruit. JLS doesn't take the job if that roster was barren.

Actually JLS took this job for three reasons; one, Tom Jurich; two, new stadium and, three, it was a step up from Utah State. Well, there was a fourth reason, money as we were paying more than he was making. Plus in between his year two and three he was given a significant raise when asked Tom Juricn said that the “L” in JLS stood for loaded.

Charlie could coach. Witness our immediate improvement on defense and Bilal Powell's career stats here.

Like many people, he fell victim to the Peter Principle...

Charlie could coach. Witness our immediate improvement on defense and Bilal Powell's career stats here.

Like many people, he fell victim to the Peter Principle...

beavisbutthead.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT