ADVERTISEMENT

Well that sucks

We have to beat Rutgers tomorrow AND USF has to lose to Mempiss for us to advance to the finals on Sunday.
frown.r191677.gif

Yeah, big time! Josh pitched well enough for a win, just no offense. Doesn't help that we try to steal a base in the top of the 9th with the tying run on, especially on 1st pitch.

Card71 - you brought up a point about the tiebreaker. Actually in this format we can have three teams at 2-1. We would win that tiebreaker though because we are the highest seed.

We just have to go out and win against Rutgers with Kidston on the mound.

Oops 71Card - you are correct. I had mistakenly thought that USF had lost their 1st game. Not looking good now.
This post was edited on 5/23 6:42 PM by nccardfan

Originally posted by nccardfan:

Doesn't help that we try to steal a base in the top of the 9th with the tying run on, especially on 1st pitch.

My thoughts exactly. And with runner who has been sitting in the dugout all game. Just bunt him over and keep the momentum going.

Had1,

Yeah it might have been a little different if it was someone who had already been in the game, on base before, to get a read on the pitcher's delivery and tendencies. A guy coming off the bench, even though he has the 2nd most steals on the team, doesn't make sense. First pitch, he's probably not going to throw anything but a fastball and not a good pitch to run on.

NC, I hadn't thought about the three way tie. If Houston beats UCF tonight and CT beat Temple tomorrow, that is exactly what happens. Then what? Total runs? Win margin against Temple? Total run differential. Best looking mothers/girl friends of players (we win that one)?

71Card,

They are in the other bracket.

USF 2-0
Louisville 1-1
Rutgers 0-2
Memphis 1-1

Memphis does have to beat USF and of course we have to beat Rutgers.

The other bracket is:

UCF 2-0
Houston 1-1
Temple 0-2
UConn 1-1

If Houston beats UCF and Temple beats UConn, Houston would get to advance by having beat UCF (Houston is up 2-0).

If UConn beats Temple and Houston beat UCF, I believe UCF is the higher AAC seed and they would get the nod. Although Houston at one time was ranked higher nationally. So I am not sure which seeding gets the tiebreaker.

All teams in our bracket are 1 -1, therefore the head to head winner of today's winning teams advance to the final. As noted we need to win along with Memphis.

Wrong, Frankcard. USF is 2-0 and they have to lose to Memphis and we have to win against Rutgers to advance to the Championship series.

USF beat Rutgers 10-0 and then beat us 2-1.

This is from the AAC site and the attached link if you don't believe me.

2014 AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE BASEBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
bright house field ? clearwater, fla.

Tournament
Pool A Record
No. 1 Louisville 1-1
No. 4 Rutgers 1-1
No. 5 USF 1-1
No. 8 Memphis 1-1

Tournament
Pool B Record
No. 2 UCF 2-0
No. 7 UConn 1-1
No. 3 Houston 1-1
No. 6 Temple 0-2

http://theamerican.org/news/2014/5/23/BASE_0523140537.aspx

Tournament
Pool A Record
No. 1 Louisville 1-1
No. 4 Rutgers 1-1
No. 5 USF 1-1
No. 8 Memphis 1-1

Tournament
Pool B Record
No. 2 UCF 2-1
No. 7 UConn 1-2 (If Temples six run lead in the 8th holds up.)
No. 3 Houston 2-1 Houston beat UCF; They win Pool B
No. 6 Temple 1-2 (If Temple's six run lead in the 8th holds up.)

We win pool A if we and Memphis win today.
Rutgers wins pool A if they and USF win today.
USF wins pool A if they win today and we beat Rutgers.
Memphis wins pool A if they and Rutgers win today.

Why does Memphis have to beat USF for us to advance? What's the tie breaker inside of pool play? I thought I heard someone say that the higher seeded team advances in the event of a tie...

Originally posted by zipp:
Why does Memphis have to beat USF for us to advance? What's the tie breaker inside of pool play? I thought I heard someone say that the higher seeded team advances in the event of a tie...
Bc if usf wins tonight, they will be 2-1, as will we. Rutgers and Memphis will be 1-2. The tie breaker would go to usf since they won the head to head meeting.

And Memphis has no incentive to win the game except for the honor of it. Because their season is over win or lose.

That's a great tourney format...

ohwell.r191677.gif

Cards Advance to Title Game!

Memphis scored the winning run in the bottom of the 9th to win 2-1.

The tiebreaker did go to us for being the higher seed.

USF, Memphis and us all went 2-1 but we were the higher seed. But I think I would prefer a double elimination tournament as opposed to the round robin. I think what it does is guarantee each team 3 games as opposed to 2 if they were lose twice in a double elimination format.

We will now face Houston in the championship, which will be televised on ESPNU.

Go Cards!
This post was edited on 5/24 10:40 PM by nccardfan

Originally posted by nccardfan:

The tiebreaker did go to us for being the higher seed.

USF, Memphis and us all went 2-1 but we were the higher seed. But I think I would prefer a double elimination tournament as opposed to the round robin. I think what it does is guarantee each team 3 games as opposed to 2 if they were lose twice in a double elimination format.

We will now face Houston in the championship, which will be televised on ESPNU.

Go Cards!
This post was edited on 5/24 10:40 PM by nccardfan
There was a 2 way tie, Memphis and us were 2-1, and we won the tie breaker Bc we beat them.

I wish people wouldn't comment if they don't know the truth. Howie and everyone on the tube last nite was saying USF would have advanced over us had they beaten Memphis. And people in this thread are saying differently. Clearly, we have people talking who didn't know the tie breaker rule. Not that it matters because USF LOST.

But that points out how eff-ed up this "pool" format is. You had a team in Memphis with nothing to play for in a crucial game to determine who advanced. I used the analogy of the old 3rd-place consolation game in NCAA basketball because that's about what it equated to. Fortunately, the Memphis starting pitcher took the game seriously.

Anyone who prefers THAT tourney format with that possibility is crazy. You never want a team in a tourney NOT playing to advance. That's exactly what Memphis was doing...

This post was edited on 5/25 7:12 PM by zipp

Zipp,

You are exactly right, but when the AD's are complaining that they have to travel, in this case down to south Florida, and only get to play maybe 2 games and then come home, they felt it wasn't fair.

I think the bigger issue is and it probably has some merit is that all through the regular season you play a weekend series, Fri Sat and then Sunday and you develop a 3 game rotation. The last couple of years towards the end of the season they started going to Thur, Friday and Saturday to give an extra day for teams to recover before the conference tournament. What was happening was when teams got into the conference tournament, because of the double elimination format, teams were having to use a lot more pitching than what they were using in a normal rotation and teams were burning out their pitching before they even got into NCAA play. The round robin pool play assures a similar format to the weekend three game rotation much like the regular season and then the championship game means you really only have to use maybe one other starter (maybe a midweek guy).

I still favor the double elimination because of the reasons you cited and because that is essentially what you will see in Omaha.

Also it is important to note that the ACC has gone to the pool play format the last few years so unless something changes, that is what will be used next year.
This post was edited on 5/25 8:35 PM by nccardfan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT