ADVERTISEMENT

We didn't get much of a pass rush vs Clemson

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Hearns made a few nice plays and we had some guys making plays down the field. But, it didn't feel like we got much pressure on Watson. Didn't see Fields getting involved all that much, though maybe I missed some plays by him.

I like that our defense makes plays, but I've always thought the key to a good defense was making plays behind the line of scrimmage, and I didn't see much of that.

On the other side, Clemson's line was in our backfield quite a bit.

I dont know what we have redshirting this year, but we need linebackers in the worst way, and d linemen. We have to find a way to keep those guys fresh so that we can be fresh in the 4th quarter

Our blitz packages looked to be mostly outside.Credit them for picking up those.I like the disguised up the middle more.

I think Grantham made one critical error. There was a play where Watson came up gingerly on a ankle. Even the lady announcer mentioned that he wouldn't be taking off and running, but for some strange reason, we only rushed three and dropped 8. You would think that would be safe but Watson came up with at least two big passing plays because there was no pass rush...

I thought we should have blitzed, attacked more mid-4th when we were up 8...I agree, we didn't get much pressure all night, which I found surprising.

I thought we should have blitzed, attacked more mid-4th when we were up 8...I agree, we didn't get much pressure all night, which I found surprising.
I agree I wonder how Watson responds if he's eating dirt and were constantly in his face. The lack of pressure was a little disturbing.

Not sure if Fields was just neutralized or the scheme we went with. I feel like Hearns is a star in the making. I'd like to see a little more push up front. It's really amazing our secondary held up as well as they did given the time Watson had naturally, as well as his ability to keep a play alive with his feet.

Somewhere in the posts on here last week, someone brought up the fact Grantham chose the 2previous years not to focus on blitzing but to prevent the long throws. When I read that I was afraid we would do the same thing as there was questions of whether Shaq Wiggins would play. Some have questioned Trumaine Washington but he has been a starter since his freshman yr. I was really disappointed that we did not use Clemons like we did against Fla St which was blitzing alot. His speed to the backfield is excellent from the linebacker position. He is not a safety anymore, as he gets burned by the WR. He is better suited for DE/LB hybrid and applying the pressure.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT