ADVERTISEMENT

WBB at Belmont

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
Louisville women's basketball takes a road trip to Nashville Sunday when they face the Belmont Bruins at 5 p.m. It's a ESPN+ game.

SCOUTING THE FOE

This will be the first time ever for a "reigning" Final Four team to play in the Curb Center on Belmont's campus and the Bruins have designated this one a white out game. All of this is more evidence that UofL will be a team with a target on their backs pretty much everywhere they go this year, and today is no exception.

The Bruins have only played one game so far in this young season, a 56-54 win over Chattanooga in Nashville.

Belmont's Destinee Wells is the preseason MVC Player of the Year honoree. Already an early candidate for major national awards such as the Nancy Lieberman Award and the Becky Hammon Mid-Major Player of the Year Award, Wells has been named to the 2023 Jersey Mike's Naismith Trophy Watch List. Announced by the Atlanta Tipoff Club Friday afternoon, Wells is one of just 50 players to appear on the prestigious national player of the year watch list.

As previously mentioned, Sunday's game will be a white out and fans are encouraged to wear white. Free white-out t-shirts will be distributed to fans in attendance.

The matchup between the two NCAA Tournament regulars will be broadcast on ESPN+ with Dr. Rich Tiner (play-by-play) and former Bruin guard Hannah Harmeyer (analyst) calling the game. Jay Gilmore, a Belmont media studies professor, will serve as sideline reporter. Live in-game statistics will be available at BelmontBruins.com.

The Cards are 4-0 all-time vs. Belmont and last defeated them last year in the KFC YUM! Center 80-66. Louisville was led by Hailey Van Lith's 16 points, Kianna Smith had 14 and Chelsie Hall contributed 11. The Cards shot 54%. Louisville led 64-44 after three quarters .

Wells had 19 for the Bruins.

Louisville has been suspect in allowing three's so far this year and Belmont let loose 27 of them in their win over Chattanooga. The good thing is, they only made seven of them.

It could be an interesting battle for Louisville, how will the Cards handle their first road trip of the 2022-23 season? Can Walz get the outside-in game rolling? Can UofL contain Wells? All this and more will be answered later today...
--sonja--

Looks like the women's hoops refs don't want to be left out on calling BS on Louisville teams this weekend. They're waiting to see if Belmont makes the shot before they call a foul. It's been blatant.

Cards have come out flat, missing easy shots. Typical road game.

Walz needs to make an adjustment defensively because these two guards for Belmont look like all Americans. The Cards can't stop these two players. They're doing anything they want.

Belmont hasn't looked stressed hardly at all on offense. They're shooting the lights out because they're making their open shots. They move the ball with ease and don't turn the ball over.

The Cards on the other hand have missed at least 10 wide open shots and they're relying too much on HVL.

Looks like we are getting nothing from Dixon, Williams and Morgan.

This game is all about defense and the Cards lack of it. Maybe the worst defensive performance I've seen in years.

Olivia came through down the stretch. We aren’t getting much from Jones, Williams or Dixon. Hopefully that changes in a few weeks.

I am traveling so I missed the game but I caught CJW post game press conference. He said he knew this game would be tough and we have more tough road games coming. It also said there is a need for a lot of improvement but that is why he scheduled these games to get the team ready for the tournament. With the non conference schedule and the tough ACC schedule we should be more than ready.

Reactions: Deeva
Jones has been fine. Dixon and Williams, together, have been fine. I think as the competition picks up they all have to step up their effort.

I just saw on HerHoops that HVL was rated the 4th best junior in her class. So far she has been dynamite and if we keep improving along with her leadership we should be alright.

That was a darn good win. Olivia's 13 pts and 13 rebounds were crucial, I love her when she is in full warrior mode. Belmont almost beat UTenn last year in the tournament and I am sure they were jacked up for our visit. The crowd was nuts and you know how impressionable women's refs are!

We have stuff to work on especially improving on defense and guarding the 3 line. We also need other scorers to emerge, no consistent 2nd and 3rd scoring options. Jones at times, Carr at times but we are looking for HVL too much, though she is brilliant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT