ADVERTISEMENT

Wasn't the popular narrative that U of L football coaches?...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...couldn't find good jobs anywhere else? Looks like many of them will be staying off of food stamps. And we're still a couple months away from the start of Spring practice...

Can you give a link to where said coach is going to coach for even a remotely similar salary?

Lonnie Galloway is the only one I can think of that got another job in the P5. Everyone else is taking pay cuts in the pee wee league.

Your post is literally nothing but an agenda based post and are just trying to stir meaningless crap up. Must be miserable repeating yourself and pushing the same narrative over and over and over.

Last edited:
...couldn't find good jobs anywhere else? Looks like many of them will be staying off of food stamps. And we're still a couple months away from the start of Spring practice...

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I’m not sure of the “whys” of this thread OR your post. Perhaps you could explain further and with more detail. And please remember that I ain’t all that smart. Thanks in advance.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I think we can all agree whatever happened with last years team was directly related to the staff or the staffs inability to work together, develop a game plan, and put a product on the field that was competitive. That doesn't mean individually they weren't good coaches but clearly as a group they sucked.

Mike Summers-FAU-good coach line underperformed
Lonnie Galloway-UNC-WR didn't improve this year, but he is a good recruiter. Not surprised the offense was good up until last year.
BVG-Bowling Green-terrible defense and got nothing from his staff.
Grady Brown-Ball State-players liked him.

Not exactly moving up in the world, but nature of the beast.

I think this is more about their experience and personal relationships.

Zipp, you’ve been dancing around this for some time now. You seem to think the prior staff should have been retained. I suspect (without proof) that this is due to their having been hired by TJ. Even you must admit that Tom made mistakes from time to time, and perhaps re-hiring Bobby was one of them. Do you think that the staff was fine, and should have been retained?

Reactions: mwdcard and RC3PO
A bunch of good players doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be a good team.

Same with coaches.

Which is why I’m glad a lot of ASU coaches came over. Continuity.

Reactions: CardCasey

One of them has gotten a P5 job. All the rest are taking G5 jobs and pay cuts. It really doesn't matter anyhow, they may be great other places but managed to put together a 2-10 season here. Unless you are going to somehow blame Tyra for the results on the field, its on the coaching staff.

What is your argument that they should have been retained? Do wins and losses no longer matter in coaching?

Florida International...lol

Still nothing for Kolby Smith, LD Scott, Ryan Beard, and Nick Petrino, correct? Honest question as I legitimately don't know.

I bet all of them with the exception of Nick can find an assistant gig somewhere.

Last edited:
Can you give a link to where said coach is going to coach for even a remotely similar salary?

Lonnie Galloway is the only one I can think of that got another job in the P5. Everyone else is taking pay cuts in the pee wee league.

Your post is literally nothing but an agenda based post and are just trying to stir meaningless crap up. Must be miserable repeating yourself and pushing the same narrative over and over and over.
Amen...

Still nothing for Kolby Smith, LD Scott, Ryan Beard, and Nick Petrino, correct? Honest question as a legitimately don't know.

I bet all of them with the exception of Nick can find an assistant gig somewhere.
I thought it was posted yesterday that Beard was at Cent Michigan?

Define good. Aside from P5 status or not, I would think a salary comparison between their stint at UofL and their new gig would help in the definition. Please provide a graph of that data.

Reactions: Art79
We went 2-10 and were probably the worst P-5 conference team, so what is your point?

Love the outpouring of replies. Buttons pushed, here they come...

I seem to recall a tired, worn out, anti-Petrino narrative that he hired coaches no one else would hire. Yet strangely, not even a couple months after losing their jobs, many/most of these guys are finding jobs in football again.

Now, the narrative is changing to GOOD JOBS and P5 JOBS. My guess is a little further out, we'll be straining to explain how some of them are getting promoted.

WTH does anyone reasonably expect fired employees to do immediately, land better jobs? Funnier still coming from a gallery of LESSER PAID employees with LESS potential in their jobs.

Keep complaining about what a bunch of clown coaches we had while news comes out about more of them landing football jobs. Exactly the reason I listen intently when the experts speak...

I seem to recall a tired, worn out, anti-Petrino narrative that he hired coaches no one else would hire. Yet strangely, not even a couple months after losing their jobs, many/most of these guys are finding jobs in football again.

Now, the narrative is changing to GOOD JOBS and P5 JOBS. My guess is a little further out, we'll be straining to explain how some of them are getting promoted.

WTH does anyone reasonably expect fired employees to do immediately, land better jobs? Funnier still coming from a gallery of LESSER PAID employees with LESS potential in their jobs.

Keep complaining about what a bunch of clown coaches we had while news comes out about more of them landing football jobs. Exactly the reason I listen intently when the experts speak...

I can’t speak for others but I specifically said that the staff didn’t stack up to Top 25 programs, which is the neighborhood we strive for and pay for. Good job trying to move the goalposts though. Still would like to see some graphs though.

I can’t speak for others but I specifically said that the staff didn’t stack up to Top 25 programs, which is the neighborhood we strive for and pay for. Good job trying to move the goalposts though. Still would like to see some graphs though.
Why would your staff be paid in the Top 25 when your tenured head coach was BARELY Top 25 in his pay?

Occasionally, you should actually look at data before speaking...

Why wouldn’t your staff be Top 25 quality when your head coach is paid in the Top 25?
Petrino was barely Top 25 on the lists I've read. And he was far and away the most sought after coach on the staff except for Summers.

Yet, your expectation is that the entire staff was Top 25. That's ridiculous. Your coaches then and now aren't as good as you THINK they are. That's no one's standard but yours.

And that's morphing the narrative anyway... Which was, they're not qualified for football coaching jobs. Results show otherwise...

Petrino was barely Top 25 on the lists I've read. And he was far and away the most sought after coach on the staff except for Summers.

Yet, your expectation is that the entire staff was Top 25. That's ridiculous. Your coaches then and now aren't as good as you THINK they are. That's no one's standard but yours...

3rd highest assistant coaches salaries in the ACC by a wide margin. These guys weren’t paid like MAC and CUSA coaches and yet that’s where they are landing. The d-coordinator was 24th highest paid assistant in the country and he winds up as a position coach at Bowling Green.

Reactions: Art79
I think I heard these guys not working in football again was a "done deal"...

Again, you enjoy it, so we'll continue to indulge your fantasies of self flagellation via message board.

The coaches were employed under a 2-10 season.

If they were worth of any value, they would have landed on perrinial top 30 staffs.

Continue.........

Reactions: HRTheCard and Art79
3rd highest assistant coaches salaries in the ACC by a wide margin. These guys weren’t paid like MAC and CUSA coaches and yet that’s where they are landing. The d-coordinator was 24th highest paid assistant in the country and he winds up as a position coach at Bowling Green.
Like I said, you don't get fired en masse and two months later, land in better jobs.

The narrative was can't get college football jobs. Results say otherwise...

...If they were worth of any value, they would have landed on perrinial top 30 staffs...
oWUuoMf.gif

...End of thread...........
LOL... We'll end it when I agree to end it. At the moment, I like watching the squirming and rationalizing. And I'm gonna really LMAO if/when Petrino Jr. gets a job coaching...

Zipp, you’ve been dancing around this for some time now. You seem to think the prior staff should have been retained. I suspect (without proof) that this is due to their having been hired by TJ. Even you must admit that Tom made mistakes from time to time, and perhaps re-hiring Bobby was one of them. Do you think that the staff was fine, and should have been retained?
My questioning the football decision-making has little or nothing to do with Jurich. Some of you guys can't get beyond the past...

My issue is HOW things are being managed, specifically, the impulsiveness of our decision-making. It keeps costing us millions and tens of millions. The clowns couldn't wait to fire Jurich and Pitino. That's already directly cost us about ten million, and who knows how much of the fan and donor attrition is explained by that decision-making? Nor do we know what Pitino will end up costing us in court. All they had to do was tell Jurich to arrange for Pitino's exit as quickly and inexpensively as possible. And then, make life difficult for Jurich to continue in his job. Jurich would have taken himself out along with Pitino, but they couldn't wait.

Nor could "Vince" and the clowns in football... They were willing to throw away another $20+ million to can Petrino and bring in Brohm. The only reason they saved some of that money is they failed in their quest for Brohm! Instead, all "Vince" had to do was clamp down on Petrino, force his hand with his assistants, and make the job unattractive for him to keep. Petrino would have come to him asking for a much cheaper and easier exit.

The clowns don't know what they're doing because they're impulsive and they're in way over their heads. They're so damn intent on doing things their way, they don't care what it costs. And that's why I tell people to NOT trust them as managers, and to keep their money in their pockets. None of that has anything to do with supporting players and coaches.

Nor does it have anything to do with Jurich. Let go of the past...

Last edited:
Reactions: swurv99

I guess we should not strive to be better than middle of the pack G5 teams. You act like fans were jumping on Petrino unnecsarily. We went 2-10 and got blown out in most of our games. Is that really what you want for our football program?

Like I said, you don't get fired en masse and two months later, land in better jobs.

The narrative was can't get college football jobs. Results say otherwise...

My narrative was that the majority of the staff wasn’t qualified for the roles they had at a major P5 program. It looks like I was right. I appreciate you helping to validate my point.

Most of the people posting here all agree Pitinio and Petrino had to go and it had nothing to do with Vince or the new leadership. Those 2 created an environment that forced their termination. It really is that simple.

I will give you they moved way too fast on Rick and should have worked out a deal. With that said I wonder if Rick would have given him because that would have meant he would have to admit to being responsible.

With football Vince had no leverage he was playing poker with a pair of 3's and Petrino had 5 aces. On top of that no quality assistant coach wanted to work with Petrino, hell Jurich got Grantham not Petrino. Look at who he grabbed as DC when it was his call, enough said. While half his staff found lower level jobs the other half haven't found any job. The last thing is the players clearly spoke in their play and willingness to speak out via transfers.

We understand your position we just disagree with your position because it is based on Jurich being let go....your the one continuing that narrative.

I guess we should not strive to be better than middle of the pack G5 teams. You act like fans were jumping on Petrino unnecsarily. We went 2-10 and got blown out in most of our games. Is that really what you want for our football program?
I want the right analysis and the right fixes. Not contrived hate narratives later proven to be wrong.

Was Petrino & Staff at fault?...Sure, and he would tell you that. Is the path we're on correct?...Who knows?

What we DO know is we spent many millions to take this path, and spent by people with agendas and very little experience in their jobs...

Most of the people posting here all agree Pitinio and Petrino had to go and it had nothing to do with Vince or the new leadership. Those 2 created an environment that forced their termination. It really is that simple.

I will give you they moved way too fast on Rick and should have worked out a deal. With that said I wonder if Rick would have given him because that would have meant he would have to admit to being responsible.

With football Vince had no leverage he was playing poker with a pair of 3's and Petrino had 5 aces. On top of that no quality assistant coach wanted to work with Petrino, hell Jurich got Grantham not Petrino. Look at who he grabbed as DC when it was his call, enough said. While half his staff found lower level jobs the other half haven't found any job. The last thing is the players clearly spoke in their play and willingness to speak out via transfers.

We understand your position we just disagree with your position because it is based on Jurich being let go....your the one continuing that narrative.
I don't have any narrative except that this "leadership" doesn't know what it's doing. If you think spending $14 million to go in a different direction in football was our ONLY option, you're simply believing what they want you to believe.

That guy ain't me, and I'm not the one who keeps bringing up "Jurich" to ground his arguments...

I don't have any narrative except that this "leadership" doesn't know what it's doing. If you think spending $14 million to go in a different direction in football was our ONLY option, you're simply believing what they want you to believe.

That guy ain't me, and I'm not the one who keeps bringing up "Jurich" to ground his arguments...
Damn your not too smart....players hated Petrino, local kids hated him, and local high school coaches hated him. He wasn't doing his job in the locker room and on the recruiting trail. Hell when you cant visit a 4-star local recruit four miles from campus...that's a problem, Better yet you let your let you're in-state rival get the kids in your own backyard. Petrino got lucky by with a stupid contract former AD signed. You bitch about attendance and donor money you think keeping Petrino it would have gotten better?

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Damn your not too smart....players hated Petrino, local kids hated him, and local high school coaches hated him. He wasn't doing his job in the locker room and on the recruiting trail. Hell when you cant visit a 4-star local recruit four miles from campus...that's a problem, Better yet you let your let you're in-state rival get the kids in your own backyard. Petrino got lucky by with a stupid contract former AD signed. You bitch about attendance and donor money you think keeping Petrino it would have gotten better?
I don't necessarily believe all or most of that. But there were other ways to deal with Petrino--like there was with Jurich and Pitino--besides firing them, paying their full buyouts, and/or risking lawsuits with yet more costs. That's the point.

We merely went down this path because our leadership is shortsighted and impulsive, a group of control freaks, and reckless with spending. There are many ways to skin a cat...

My questioning the football decision-making has little or nothing to do with Jurich. Some of you guys can't get beyond the past...

My issue is HOW things are being managed, specifically, the impulsiveness of our decision-making. It keeps costing us millions and tens of millions. The clowns couldn't wait to fire Jurich and Pitino. That's already directly cost us about ten million, and who knows how much of the fan and donor attrition is explained by that decision-making? Nor do we know what Pitino will end up costing us in court. All they had to do was tell Jurich to arrange for Pitino's exit as quickly and inexpensively as possible. And then, make life difficult for Jurich to continue in his job. Jurich would have taken himself out along with Pitino, but they couldn't wait.

Nor could "Vince" and the clowns in football... They were willing to throw away another $20+ million to can Petrino and bring in Brohm. The only reason they saved some of that money is they failed in their quest for Brohm! Instead, all "Vince" had to do was clamp down on Petrino, force his hand with his assistants, and make the job unattractive for him to keep. Petrino would have come to him asking for a much cheaper and easier exit.

The clowns don't know what they're doing because they're impulsive and they're in way over their heads. They're so damn intent on doing things their way, they don't care what it costs. And that's why I tell people to NOT trust them as managers, and to keep their money in their pockets. None of that has anything to do with supporting players and coaches.

Nor does it have anything to do with Jurich. Let go of the past...
But your post was about how many of Bobby’s assistants were getting jobs. The suggestion here is they they weren’t so bad, really. Never mind the multiple 50 point plus humiliations. It must have been the players. Recruited by the staff. Now you are saying the the WAY they were removed was clumsy and cost us a ton of money. I quite agree in the case if Pitino and Jurich. That could not have been handled worse. But Bobby’s ouster was flat-out awful performance. He deserved it. So did the staff. The whole kit and kaboodle. There is no guarantee the pressuring Bobby the way you suggest would have caused him to leave for less money. It may have even resulted in a law suit.

Reactions: kentuckyshame
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT