ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball Falls in Five to Huskies

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
A tight match throughout between Louisville and Washington, but the fifth set went from smiles to shocked, as Washington overcame at fifth-set 7-1 deficit to come back and beat Louisville 15-13 and take the match 25-23, 21-25, 21-25, 25-14, 15-13.

The Cards started the fifth set displaying their blocking ability. In fact, six of Louisville's seven points in the final set came off blocks. Washington looked lost and confused, and, a time-out by the Huskies, didn't appear to provide much help. UW trailed 11-5 and it looked like the Cards were Great EIght bound.

Maria Bogomolova is a reserve for UW whose specialty is serving. She put that on display in the final set, reeling off seven-straight successful serves before putting one in the net against the slow-to-react, confused Cardinal squad. Suddenly, we had a tied 12-12 final set.

Claire Chaussee put Louisville back into the lead with a impressive kill shot to make it 13-12. It was, sadly, the last points of the match Louisville would tally and the Huskies benefitted from a Cardinal hitting error at 14-13 to advance to play Pittsburgh today.

Cardinal outside hitter Amaya Tillman on the loss:

"It is a matter of having tough mentality and finishing. I think we had some doubt and let it get into our heads. We need to have a shorter memory about it and side out. I just think we need to be a lot cleaner and that would be a difference maker. Bot, no matter if we go five, four or if we sweep the sets, I would choose this team any day.|"

So, it ends this season for Louisville, but the future looks very bright. The VolleyCards lose just one starter (Alexis Hamilton) and a reserve (Piper Roe).

--sonja--

Reactions: PHCARD and Deeva
It was a good and exciting match I really thought we had it. The Russian server for Washington made the difference they scored 7 points when she was serving.

We appeared to get the Big Head a little bit after taking sets 2 & 3, laying an egg in set 4. Washington, while down early in set 5 maintained their composure and dominated late. Good season for this young team.

Reactions: PHCARD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT