ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia, Syracuse, and UK games may determine Petrino's future at UofL

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
We start these games with a 5-4 record. Anything other than 8-4 is unacceptable, given he has Lamar Jackson as quarterback. 6-6 is most likely but I fear 5-7 could happen. All three of our last three opponents have excellent passing games. And our pass defense is our achilles heel. Sure hope I am wrong. If Petrino does not deliver. I believe his days at Louisville are numbered.

Reactions: jts_cards
We start these games with a 5-4 record. Anything other than 8-4 is unacceptable, given he has Lamar Jackson as quarterback. 6-6 is most likely but I fear 5-7 could happen. All three of our last three opponents have excellent passing games. And our pass defense is our achilles heel. Sure hope I am wrong. If Petrino does not deliver. I believe his days at Louisville are numbered.

Normally I would disagree, but with everything that’s taken place at UofL with the new BOT and how much influence they may have over Tyra anything is possible. I’m hoping at worst a 7-5, but like you 6-6 is likely. As I stated in an earlier thread I thought 8-4 was realistic given some of the young players. I would be perfectly fine with that. Never imagined losing to both WF and BC.

I agree with you but in light of all of the other things going on right now - short of him leaving for another job or becoming embroiled in a scandal of his own making - there’s no way that the administration is going to do anything with him.

Certainly not because he didn’t win enough - the guys in charge now don’t give a rat’s ass about that.

Reactions: wilkie01

IF we go 5-7 or 6-6 with having a returning Heisman Trophy winner will be (in my opinion) a complete embarrassment because Petrino SETTLED on a clown as a defensive cord. I know that I've said that in other threads, but it's true. If another team want to get Petrino, I won't be sad in the least.

Some of you make me laugh!! Some of you advocate firing people , and throwing money around for buyouts like druken sailors on shore leave. Wake up Petrino not going anywhere! Why because he is not going to be fired , even if goes 5-7. Second he's not leaving for another job opportunity. Guess you missed the part about him staying, family settled here, and not leaving unless somebody fires him. Now wake up and start supporting the team. Hope we see all you arm chair coaches at the VA Saturday. Don't complain about the sart time either its a 330 pm kick! SHOW UP!

In the mind of the BOT, they feel the need to enhance the image of the university. A lot of people, despite his grand fatherly image rehab, still think Petrino is a scum bag. If the team continues to falter, there's their opportunity to pounce. I, personally feel Petrino's days are numbered regardless what happens.

I don't think there's an on field scenario that can play out where Petrino would be fired. The university is in too much of an upheaval as it is and there's so many question marks surrounding how much money (if any) the University will owe Jurich and Pitino that there's no way they choose this time, without a permanent AD to start looking for a new football coach too.

Some of you make me laugh!! Some of you advocate firing people , and throwing money around for buyouts like druken sailors on shore leave. Wake up Petrino not going anywhere! Why because he is not going to be fired , even if goes 5-7. Second he's not leaving for another job opportunity. Guess you missed the part about him staying, family settled here, and not leaving unless somebody fires him. Now wake up and start supporting the team. Hope we see all you arm chair coaches at the VA Saturday. Don't complain about the sart time either its a 330 pm kick! SHOW UP!

I showed up for all the Ron Cooper and Steve Krapthorpe games. I have only missed 5 Louisville home football games since 1971. I know when we are sliding backwards!

Last edited:
Reactions: KerryRhodes
I think the only two ways you would see Bobby Petrino leave now is a) an NCAA violation involving football which I seriously doubt or B) he gets a buyout offer and takes it.
There WILL be lots of jobs open. Always are. Petrinos offense would be a natural for the wild scoring big 12....or however many there are. Nebraska will likely be open which is a conference he has never tried. Not sure if he wants another run in the SEC....but there sure will be slots open there.
I believe you finish no worse than 7-5. Bowl bound.
Firing a coach after a bowl season would make Mr Tyra and the ULAA look like more of a vendetta against Jurich hires than it does.

In the mind of the BOT, they feel the need to enhance the image of the university. A lot of people, despite his grand fatherly image rehab, still think Petrino is a scum bag. If the team continues to falter, there's their opportunity to pounce. I, personally feel Petrino's days are numbered regardless what happens.
That's an interesting take. From all reports, he has his ducks in more order than ever in his career.
Football schools have long memories for sure....but losing gives those same teams amnesia or a much more forgiving nature.

The BOT has proven they hold all the Cards in every sport ( including the governor backing them). No coach is safe, and no reason is needed. Sad days ahead till the BOTS remove themselves.

I think the only two ways you would see Bobby Petrino leave now is a) an NCAA violation involving football which I seriously doubt or B) he gets a buyout offer and takes it.
There WILL be lots of jobs open. Always are. Petrinos offense would be a natural for the wild scoring big 12....or however many there are. Nebraska will likely be open which is a conference he has never tried. Not sure if he wants another run in the SEC....but there sure will be slots open there.
I believe you finish no worse than 7-5. Bowl bound.
Firing a coach after a bowl season would make Mr Tyra and the ULAA look like more of a vendetta against Jurich hires than it does.
Bobby will never work in the SEC again. The Arkansas episode was so egregious no one will touch him. In fact, I don’t know what P5 program would touch him except us.

Reactions: RogerIndy

Not arguing with you at all, but I really don’t think you can classify my Cats as a team with a excellent passing game. Stephen is doing a formidable job, but our strength is Benny running. Of course, it’s the rivalry game, so you can probably throw anything out there, but I highly expect Lamar to set some sort of single game record against us.

On a side note, I’ll be out there watching your Cards this weekend against UVA. The UofL Marching Band is having some local high schoolers play with them for the game, and my son will be banging his snare drum for the Cards. I’m a little torn by this, but if it leads to a scholly, I may have to buy me a red and black shirt. He loves your Music Department, so it’s probably gonna be either UofL or Morehead St.

Schollie is huge. Good luck. My brother was a governor's scholar and had a Louisville slot...chose Centre Instead. Side note....had a granddaughter that was born with lung problems. I went to every board, cards and Cats that I was posting in at that time and asked for prayers, karma, good wishes. She's five now, lives in North Carolina, and looks great in her favorite color. Red.
It's all just a game guys.

Not arguing with you at all, but I really don’t think you can classify my Cats as a team with a excellent passing game. Stephen is doing a formidable job, but our strength is Benny running. Of course, it’s the rivalry game, so you can probably throw anything out there, but I highly expect Lamar to set some sort of single game record against us.

On a side note, I’ll be out there watching your Cards this weekend against UVA. The UofL Marching Band is having some local high schoolers play with them for the game, and my son will be banging his snare drum for the Cards. I’m a little torn by this, but if it leads to a scholly, I may have to buy me a red and black shirt. He loves your Music Department, so it’s probably gonna be either UofL or Morehead St.

I hope you don’t wear UK stuff to the UofL game because that would be pathetic.

Reactions: BPGhost
Who knows in today's environment. I look at Notre Dame their 4-8 year from a year ago. There is no question Kelly lost that team last year. The concern at Louisville is it looks like Petrino lost the team last year to some extent after the Clemson loss and completely after Houston loss. It doesn't appear he ever got them back. The last 3 games will tell us if the staff can get them back if not Coach Petrino will have another offseason trying to figure out what internal problems they have in the program.

The defense has been the main problem since Houston, but the offense is still too inconsistent. The reality is the offense had a chance to win the UK, NC State, and Boston College games. All three games the offense turned the ball over.

Reactions: wilkie01
Who knows in today's environment. I look at Notre Dame their 4-8 year from a year ago. There is no question Kelly lost that team last year. The concern at Louisville is it looks like Petrino lost the team last year to some extent after the Clemson loss and completely after Houston loss. It doesn't appear he ever got them back. The last 3 games will tell us if the staff can get them back if not Coach Petrino will have another offseason trying to figure out what internal problems they have in the program.

The defense has been the main problem since Houston, but the offense is still too inconsistent. The reality is the offense had a chance to win the UK, NC State, and Boston College games. All three games the offense turned the ball over.

Next year is year five of Petrino's seven year contract. The team had better improve in 2018, because ever player on the team will have been recruit and trained by Bobby Petrino. If we are still going south at the end of the 2018 season, then is time to go in a new coaching direction. If we go 5-7 in 2017, it is time for sure.

Reactions: billoliver40
There isn't going to be a coaching change this off season regardless of what happens on the field. There will likely be openings at UF, UT, Nebraska, Texas A&M and I don't think there's any way that any would sniff Petrino. I know his name has been connected to UT but I still don't believe it. He's done absolutely nothing since returning to college that would make an elite program consider him. Couple that with his reputation and I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that he will still be on the UL sidelines come August 2018.

There isn't going to be a coaching change this off season regardless of what happens on the field. There will likely be openings at UF, UT, Nebraska, Texas A&M and I don't think there's any way that any would sniff Petrino. I know his name has been connected to UT but I still don't believe it. He's done absolutely nothing since returning to college that would make an elite program consider him. Couple that with his reputation and I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that he will still be on the UL sidelines come August 2018.

Only because Jurich wrote a bad contract that favored Petrino over Louisville, with a large buyout clause.

Bobby will never work in the SEC again. The Arkansas episode was so egregious no one will touch him. In fact, I don’t know what P5 program would touch him except us.
If we were 8-1 instead of 5-4, every SEC and P5 opening would be looking at him. We bore the slander and now other teams would take him if he were at the top of his game. Arkansas maybe the only one who wouldn’t...

He's done absolutely nothing since returning to college that would make an elite program consider him.

- He had UofL squarely in the hunt for the playoff throughout most of the season last year.

- He recruited/coached a Heisman winning QB that most other teams wanted to make a WR.

The only way he gets fired is they completely tank the last three games and I still don't think they will fire him. I don't think anyone wants Tyra to have to find a head coach 6 months into the job. Petrino will firmly be on the hot seat in 2018 if they lose out.

He had UofL squarely in the hunt for the playoff throughout most of the season last year.

That he did.... How's that gone since then?

UL looked much better last year but signs of inconsistency and collapse reared their head last year too

I'll refresh.....Since FSU last year...nearly lost to Duke and UVA,played like pure crap and was losing to Wake for 3 quarters, got EMBARRASSED by Houston, lost as 4 TD favorites to UK, beat like a drum by LSU...sloppy 7 point win as 4 TD favorite vs Purdue, 12 point win vs 1-8 UNC, embarrassed by Clemson, 2 TD loss to NC State, loss as a multiple TD favorite to BC, escaped a 3-5 FSU team against a Freshman QB when he turned it over deep in UL territory and then got absolutely shredded by Wake.

I would argue that out of ULs last 32 games Petrino has coached they have looked focused, well coached and executed a gameplan 4 times.

Petrino has more losses as a double digit favorite than he does wins against ranked teams.

I sincerely don’t think we make a HC change this offseason unless CBP gets an offer to leave. But we had better make some other coaching changes if we continue to play at the level we have since Houston last year.

That he did.... How's that gone since then?

UL looked much better last year but signs of inconsistency and collapse reared their head last year too

I'll refresh.....Since FSU last year...nearly lost to Duke and UVA,played like pure crap and was losing to Wake for 3 quarters, got EMBARRASSED by Houston, lost as 4 TD favorites to UK, beat like a drum by LSU...sloppy 7 point win as 4 TD favorite vs Purdue, 12 point win vs 1-8 UNC, embarrassed by Clemson, 2 TD loss to NC State, loss as a multiple TD favorite to BC, escaped a 3-5 FSU team against a Freshman QB when he turned it over deep in UL territory and then got absolutely shredded by Wake.

I would argue that out of ULs last 32 games Petrino has coached they have looked focused, well coached and executed a gameplan 4 times.

Petrino has more losses as a double digit favorite than he does wins against ranked teams.

Quit changing the subject, your quote said he has done "absolutely nothing" for another P5 job to consider him. You're wrong, so you change to the struggles recently.

He's responsible for the problems both at the end of last year and this season. He'll get another year to correct the issues, as there's no way he's getting fired this year.

Quit changing the subject, your quote said he has done "absolutely nothing" for another P5 job to consider him. You're wrong, so you change to the struggles recently.

He's responsible for the problems both at the end of last year and this season. He'll get another year to correct the issues, as there's no way he's getting fired this year.

I didn't say he would get fired. I don't think there's any on field scenario that can play out that will result in him getting fired but he's done absolutely nothing since returning to Louisville that would make an elite program consider hiring him and I fully stand by that statement. Putting up middling records and losing to inferior opponents isn't the kind of performance that catches the eye of elite football programs. He's 30-17 at Louisville and has lost multiple games as a double digit favorite and owns a 1-9 record vs ranked teams....is that the kind of resume that's going to have ADs beating down his door?

is that the kind of resume that's going to have ADs beating down his door?

Probably not, but to say he's done absolutely nothing to draw another job is false. That would imply that at the end of last season he would've drawn no interest, and his buyout and relationship with Jurich are the only reasons there was no talk last year. A Heisman winning QB and keeping a non-traditional team in the playoff hunt would've garnered some takers. If I'm the AD at Tennessee, I can (and probably will) do a lot worse.

Only because Jurich wrote a bad contract that favored Petrino over Louisville, with a large buyout clause.
Umm - you realize that the large buyout clause in this case was to protect UofL from petrino bailing for another school - right?

Literally no one - even those petrino haters - thought that he would be unsuccessful to the point that the university would want to fire him and buy him out. Not in anyway, shape or form was this Jurich “favor(ing) petrino over Louisville”.

Reactions: arizan
Certainly not because he didn’t win enough - the guys in charge now don’t give a rat’s ass about that.

This. Winning football games is probably the last thing on the BOT and Presidents' minds right now. Heck, if you believe certain conspiracy theories, Petrino might hurt his chances of staying more by winning out.

It's a real cesspool on this board! I am back to the Premium board, and will n ot be back for awhile. To many clowns over here who no nothing about Big Time College Football. Even had one compare Petrino to Krags!! that sealed it for me.

It's a real cesspool on this board! I am back to the Premium board, and will n ot be back for awhile. To many clowns over here who no nothing about Big Time College Football. Even had one compare Petrino to Krags!! that sealed it for me.

2fb.jpg

What a loss for the un-Premium board. Everyone knows that only people who “no” Big Time College Football pay for the privilege of taking about it to other anonymous fans.

You have my word that I’ll speak to the other clowns and we will try our best to be the best non-Premium posters we can.

Effing idiot...

What a loss for the un-Premium board. Everyone knows that only people who “no” Big Time College Football pay for the privilege of taking about it to other anonymous fans.

You have my word that I’ll speak to the other clowns and we will try our best to be the best non-Premium posters we can.

Effing idiot...
did-i-just-xwq2vf.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT